Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Happy first reads day! 🥳 What is everyone going for?
Ooh I forgot it was the 1st today! A bit of exciting news after getting the dreaded call from my son’s nursery that he’s now got to isolate for a week. At least some good books might get me through in those tiny pockets of time when he’s distracted by Peppa Pig or Shrek.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Any other WFH-ers do a bit of work then read a chapter? Just me? I figure its only time Id use having idle chit chat with colleagues....

Reactions: 7
Any other WFH-ers do a bit of work then read a chapter? Just me? I figure its only time Id use having idle chit chat with colleagues....
I should do this but it is normally do a bit if work then check tattle haha

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Ooh I forgot it was the 1st today! A bit of exciting news after getting the dreaded call from my son’s nursery that he’s now got to isolate for a week. At least some good books might get me through in those tiny pockets of time when he’s distracted by Peppa Pig or Shrek.
Oh no, good luck!

I do this too, as long as I get my work done I figure a few chapters here and there won’t hurt.

Reactions: 5
Oh no, good luck!
Thank you - I think I’ll need it. We’re in the garden now and as he’s amused in the sand pit I’ve managed to read a chapter of The Passengers. If I just pretend I’m on a nice summer holiday we might get through this alive!

• Heart
I’m obsessed with the library, I swear to GOD this thread has been the best thing to come out of 2021 because I would never have thought of going back to the library and accessing the online content.

thank you all so much 😍

Im about to start my 15th audio book which has taken the place of (background) pointless tv/music while I get stuff done/driving/in the bath 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm having a bit of a dilemma - just yesterday I got 4 books (two arrived in the post, two from charity shops) and I've still got another on the way, buttttt... I want another one 🤪

I want to join the Dickens vs Tolstoy bookclub (run by youtubers Emmie and Carolyn Marie Reads) because they're onto Anna Karenina, and I've always wanted to read it! It's a book I know I'll forever want to keep in my collections, so I can justify getting it in that way but I did also just get 4 books, so another part of me is feeling very guilty haha

But that being said, God bless charity shops, because I got Wide Sargasso Sea in a penguin clothbound for just 2 pounds! Those go for like 10-15 usually! Jane Eyre is such a comfort read for me, I feel so happy whenever I read it, I'm looking forward to this!

I'm having a bit of a dilemma - just yesterday I got 4 books (two arrived in the post, two from charity shops) and I've still got another on the way, buttttt... I want another one 🤪

I want to join the Dickens vs Tolstoy bookclub (run by youtubers Emmie and Carolyn Marie Reads) because they're onto Anna Karenina, and I've always wanted to read it! It's a book I know I'll forever want to keep in my collections, so I can justify getting it in that way but I did also just get 4 books, so another part of me is feeling very guilty haha

But that being said, God bless charity shops, because I got Wide Sargasso Sea in a penguin clothbound for just 2 pounds! Those go for like 10-15 usually! Jane Eyre is such a comfort read for me, I feel so happy whenever I read it, I'm looking forward to this!
In my opinion, if there is one thing is life nobody should feel guilty for it’s investing in education or reading material.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I want to join the Dickens vs Tolstoy bookclub (run by youtubers Emmie and Carolyn Marie Reads) because they're onto Anna Karenina, and I've always wanted to read it!
That sounds interesting. English 'A' level put me off Dickens for years. But not long ago I read Great Expectations and absolutely loved it. Far funnier and lighter than I thought it would be.

• Heart
I have no clue which book to pick for Amazon First Reads day. None of them exactly make me jump to read them...

I started my new book yesterday - Goldilocks by Laura Lam. Really into it so far.

Reactions: 1
I have no clue which book to pick for Amazon First Reads day. None of them exactly make me jump to read them...

I started my new book yesterday - Goldilocks by Laura Lam. Really into it so far.
Same, I ended up going for A Familiar Sight.

I’ve finished They Both Die At The End. I enjoyed it overall but found chunks of the book to be quite slow. I’ve just started The Song of Achilles and feeling a bit intimidated by it.

Reactions: 3

I went for the Tolkien book because it sounded a bit different.

I’ve pre ordered The Damage by Caitlin Wahrer as it looks right up my street, released next week and pre reviews for it sound promising. Here’s hoping it’s good :)

Reactions: 2
I think I'm getting back into the swing of reading loads of books! This is the third one out of the new kindle books I purchased for the £5 credit.
I have finished Goldilocks by Laura Lam this morning. It was a much easier read than I first thought. I liked it and the ending just made me 😧😧😧

I've got a quiet day at work so going to take advantage and maybe start my next book after lunch. Next up is Leave the world behind by Rumaan Alam. Has anyone read this yet?

I didn’t, I used to just waste time messing around on my phone.

Now I’m reading chapters 😆

Currently reading Haven’t They Grown by Sophie Hannah. It’s intriguing…

Just got 'Love in a Cold Climate' by Nancy Mitford in the post! It's also got 'The Pursuit of Love' and 'The Blessing' in this edition and I'm beyond excited!

On that note, has anyone else here watched the BBC show The Pursuit of Love? It's the whole reason why I got this book at all, I really liked the vibes and wanted more, just minus some of the gratuitous grabby/kissy scenes between the best-friend/cousin main protagonists. Rich people drama/issues is my favourite form of escapism. Not to mention the actor for Fabrice.... My god, he was a treat....

Those Mitford books are some of my favourites, they are my comfort reads when I just want to pick something up and get lost in it for a while. I reread them often.

Not seen the TV show, I am scared it will spoil the book.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.