Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What have you done 🤪 they're all available on kindle unlimited which I have free for another 2 months. I've downloaded the first book to add to the other 90+ books already on my TBR pile 🤣🤣
My next door neighbour is a fan so I read all his then bought him the latest 2 as a thank you and he then passed them on for me to read he collects books so when the 12th is out in print I’ll buy him that too.

Reactions: 2
see I didn’t like half the world away
Anyone else like this where because they read one book by an author and they’re not keen on it avoid the author? 🤣
Half the World Away left me a broken woman …I bawled like a baby for most of it 😭
I’m avoiding Mike Gayle for this reason! 😂

• Haha
Has anyone read The Push by Ashley Audrain? I bought it back in June but I haven’t had time to start it, lots of people recommended it to me and it does look good!
It’s a brilliant book!

I’ve just finished Dreamland by Rosa Rankin-Gee - literally one of the best books I’ve read all year! Dystopian future, strong female lead, unique and set in Margate. Just stunning.

now reading Sorrow and Bliss by Meg Mason - couple of chapters in and I’m enjoying it!

can’t believe I have been on tattle for months and didn’t know there was a book thread! I love reading

• Heart
I really fancy Dreamland. Someone recommended it to me. Its still quite expensive so I havent splurged yet

Reactions: 1
I went through my kindle and Goodreads list earlier. I have 56 books on my kindle TBR… 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 3
thanks to this thread I have 188 lol 🤣🙈
I have over 400 😑

ETA I saw a thing on Facebook the other day that said buying books and reading books are two different hobbies and I wholeheartedly agree

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Okay this makes me feel better 😂 it was doing my head in that I had some on my TBR list that I’d not yet purchased and wouldn’t bother doing until they’re a more reasonable price 😂 so they’re gone. Now to decide what to bloody read…

I finished Haven’t They Grown this evening. Wasn’t the best book I’ve ever read, but doesn’t deserve the poor reviews it’s had recently on Amazon.

I've recently discovered Mike Gayle and loving his books - I read The Man I think I know in less than a day and All the lonely people the other month.

I read all of the YA The Spinster Club Series by Holly Bourne over the weekend too.

I've started on The Frequency of Us - Keith Stuart.

And just got Verity for 99p thanks to here :)
I remember reading his Turning Thirty novel many moons ago. I recall being pleased because the main character in the book turned 30 on the exact same day that I did! :LOL:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
A slice of indulgent escapism is what I'm really craving right now, so that's great to hear!

And that's fair enough, I think, from what I've read, that fans of novels didn't love it. It just scratched a particular itch I had, in my case.
If you enjoyed the BBC series and want more in a similar vein I would recommend the 2001 movie Promising Young Things. It's a fun romp. Directed by Stephen Fry, based on Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh, and an excellent cast including Emily Mortimer who directed the Pursuit of Love BBC series. Definitely read the book too, It's a nice contract with Mitford's work given they were contemporaries.

Also, Life in a Cold Climate by Laura Thompson is an excellent Nancy Mitford biography.

This thread is doing bad things to my TBR!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Oh my god I always think I love this thread and then I come on and catch up on this thread and think,

damn I really, really, really love this thread 😂😂 I’ve never known people in my real life who hoard books, and get excited about a new book release 😂 this is the stuff I hide like people hide biscuit wrappers behind the cushions 😂

I’ve never joined a book community so it’s been so good to have this place now. ♥♥

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
If you enjoyed the BBC series and want more in a similar vein I would recommend the 2001 movie Promising Young Things. It's a fun romp. Directed by Stephen Fry, based on Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh, and an excellent cast including Emily Mortimer who directed the Pursuit of Love BBC series. Definitely read the book too, It's a nice contract with Mitford's work given they were contemporaries.

Also, Life in a Cold Climate by Laura Thompson is an excellent Nancy Mitford biography.

This thread is doing bad things to my TBR!
Ooh, thanks so much for the recommendations! I'll definitely be checking them out!

I finished Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton so quickly the other day, absolutely loved it. I thought it was really well done and wasn’t too overly political.

I’ve pre-ordered Bella Mackie’s How To Kill Your Family which is released later this month, I’m seeing lots of good reviews about it on Instagram/Twitter so I’m intrigued to see what it’s like.

Reactions: 4
I finished Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton so quickly the other day, absolutely loved it. I thought it was really well done and wasn’t too overly political.
Three Hours is in my top 3 books of this year. It was the first book I read in 2021, I’m now on my 31st but yet the storyline and events of Three Hours are still as clear in my head as if I’d read it last week. Cannot say the same for others I’ve read this year.

• Heart
Three Hours is in my top 3 books of this year. It was the first book I read in 2021, I’m now on my 31st but yet the storyline and events of Three Hours are still as clear in my head as if I’d read it last week. Cannot say the same for others I’ve read this year.
Same here. Its a really good book.

Has anyone read Lisa Taddeo’s new book Animal? The blurb makes it sound intense. I still have her non fiction Three Women from a few years ago on my tbr.

Same here. Its a really good book.
This is exactly how I feel about it! I’ve been thinking about it since I finished it and I’m sure it’ll stay with me for a while. That doesn’t happen too often!

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.