Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love me some youtube drama ?
and despite my awful grammar on here I actually love reading.
It’s usually books from the contemporary fiction/chick lit genre if I’m honest.
I’m not going to start discussing 1984 and Animal Farm,

I started this thread because I’d love to know your best reads of 2018 (or even of the last few years/of all time)
Suggestions and reviews would be welcome if that’s ok with the mods.
I’d really love to find more people interested in reading as well as watching illiterate YouTube stars innit ?

Reactions: 5

Yel

Of course it's allowed! General discussion is for anything :D

I dropped my kindle last year and it doesn't turn on now. Was reading the bill Bryson summer of 1927 and keep meaning to buy a new one and waiting for an Amazon offer.

My mum lent me wolf hall, apparently the main problem with it is it's so good that as soon as you finish the last page you have to read it again. I didn't make it through the first chapter. Could do with some recommendations that are more contemporary or chick lit!

Reactions: 7
I’m always reading at least two books, one on the kindle and always a real book.
I’ve just finished a book by Sally Rooney called Normal People.
She’s an Irish novelist and this is her second book. It is set mainly in Dublin and revolves around the relationship and lives of a young couple. It’s funny but sometimes dark.
It wasn’t one of those books that I couldn’t put down but I did look forward to getting a quiet hour with it before bed.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Kindles second hand are real bargains
Got a paperwhite 4gb for £39 at a chain store electrical place- works fine
There are loads on local facebook ads. A lot of people buy them but don't use them etc so they get sold on
Our daughter has one and loves it

Reactions: 3
i have loads on my good reads - i think i am mouse on there too

My book of the year so far is also Eleanor oliphant is completely fine

I love mystery/ thriller and have read some crackers this year

Anything by sabine Durrant, Sarah Pinborough,. Just about to start the All souls trilogy as i watched the Sky TV Series A Discovery of Witches and it ended on a belting cliff hanger.

Reactions: 7
I've just finished 'the Tattooist of Aushwitz' (I hope that's spelt right, if not I blame the jet lag!) Anyway it's one of the most incredible books I've ever read!
Normally I'm a psychological thriller kind of girl but this book was just amazing!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Massive book fan here. Last year I read around 100 books, this year I’m only at 38, after having my baby in April I don’t have the time like I used to.
I love psychological thrillers and crime and I’ve just finished a book called Someone Like Me by M.R. Carey, it’s a mix of family drama, psychological thriller with a touch of horror and a hint of the super natural. It’s really good.
Another one I loved this year is Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer which is classed as contemporary fiction.

Reactions: 1
So am trying to give up screen time and have gone back to reading, so I need book inspiration!

I have just read:

The Woman in our house - Andrew Hart - good but don't read if you are thinking of get an live in nanny!

and I am now reading:

The Helpline - Katherine Collette - quite good

Reactions: 1
I recently read the tattooist of auschwitz and literally couldn’t put it down! So interesting !

also ‘where the crawdads Sing’ is very good

Reactions: 6
I have a huge list on Goodreads that I have read, will share the highly rated ones here.

1. Becoming - Michelle Obama
  2. Me Before You series - Jojo Moyes
  3. The Woman In The Window - AJ Finn
  4. Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer
  5. Homes. A Refugee Story - Abu Bakr Al Rabeeah
  6. When The Moon Is Low - Nadia Hashimi
  7. Everything All At Once - Katrina Leno
  8. Love, Hate and Other Filters - Samira Ahmed
  9. Fat Girl On a Plane - Kelly Devos
  10. A Dog's Purpose series - Bruce W Cameron
  11. The Finishing School - Joanna Goodman
  12. The Home For Unwanted Girls - Joanna Goodman
  13. The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris
  14. The Trials of Morrigan Crow - Jessica Townsend
  15. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
  16. The Hate You Give - Angie Thomas
  17. Furiously Happy - Jenny Lawson
  18. The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
  19. 1984 - George Orwell
  20. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Taylor Jenkins Reid
  21. The German Girl - Lucas Correa
  22. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
  23. Behind Closed Doors - BA Paris
  24. Firefly Lane - Kristin Hannah
  25. Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty
  26. The Woman in Cabin 10 - Ruth Ware
  27. Surviving Scientology - Leah Remini
  28. When Breath Becomes Air - Paul Kalanithi
  29. The Nazi Officer's Wife - Edith Beer Hahn
  30. Where Am I Now? - Mara Wilson
  31. Elizabeth Is Missing - Emma Healey
  32. Cormoran Strike series - Robert Galbraith
  33. The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I bought today 'Five Women' by Hallie Rubenhold. It is about the women killed by Jack the Ripper. I don't normally like stuff like that as it seems gratuitous but she has written it from the point of view of the women. Documenting their lives. And not going into the gory and horrible details of their deaths.
I'll report back!

The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel is a good read.
Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough
Blood Orange by Harriet Tyce

Tattoo of Auschwitz
Cilka just finished it was really good
I’m currently reading the boy that followed his father into Auschwitz

Reactions: 4
I read so many books that I lose track but Days of wonder by Keith Stuart has stayed with me.

I can't stand Richard and Judy but their book club recommendations are usually a good shout.

Reactions: 2
The last book I read was Lisa Jewell-The family upstairs, 6/10 not her best but worth a read.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.