Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m 60% through The Push and loving it. It took me a good chunk to get into it and get my head around the writing style of it. I didn’t think I was going to like it as first but the more I’ve carried on the more gripped I’ve got.

Reactions: 6
It’s so good! Especially if your library signs up and buys a few copies so you’re not in a queue of like 100 people waiting till September 22 😂 I like it a lot tbf
I've somehow got a few really good ones by luck, it’s very odd but some times during the AM hours they become available 😂 how the hell I don’t know, I’ve had some on reserve for aug/sept this year that I’ll see by chance at night a new copy has become available. So I’ll dump the reservation and hit borrow 😍

but a lot of the popular ones are actually sept 22 here 😂

I’m 60% through The Push and loving it. It took me a good chunk to get into it and get my head around the writing style of it. I didn’t think I was going to like it as first but the more I’ve carried on the more gripped I’ve got.
same, it’s a brilliant book though. I was gutted the book club kept out voting it BUT I think it’s what kicked this thread off 😆 which has turned out to be a massive silver lining to it being rejected the two times I suggested it at the start 🤣

Reactions: 5
I’m probably being stupid here but has anyone else had trouble redeeming the £5 kindle credit from the offer a few weeks ago?

I went to buy something thinking it would work automatically (as the email suggested) but it didn’t discount the £5 credit. When I click ‘buy now’ on the book page it goes straight through, then I get an email confirmation saying I’ve paid full price. there is no option to select anything else

Can anyone please help 😭 I did try and contact the customer service but they weren’t much help

I did try and contact the customer service but they weren’t much help
have you used the live webchat on the app? I found that really good for customer service when I had to contact them about a refund, the email contact is hopeless 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 1
Has anyone read any Dawn French books?

I'm currently reading 'According to Yes' and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it yet, though Mary Poppins comes to mind a bit
Apparently her books are meant to have some humour in them but I'm really not finding any, and the characters don't seem particularly likable or very three-dimensional at the moment

Also on a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone ever look at book reviews on GoodReads before starting a book? I find that at times the negative reviews (of which there seem to be many) really influence how I feel about the book at the start

I’m probably being stupid here but has anyone else had trouble redeeming the £5 kindle credit from the offer a few weeks ago?

I went to buy something thinking it would work automatically (as the email suggested) but it didn’t discount the £5 credit. When I click ‘buy now’ on the book page it goes straight through, then I get an email confirmation saying I’ve paid full price. there is no option to select anything else

Can anyone please help 😭 I did try and contact the customer service but they weren’t much help
When I tried to use mine it came off a gift card I’d added onto my account. I spoke to them on live chat and they reimbursed me almost straight away.

Yes!!! It was a bloody hassle. Eventually customer service gave me a gift card for the difference. I would suggest try again with live chat.

• Heart
It is waaaayyy past my bedtime but I had to stay up to finish Three Hours. Absolute rollarcoaster of a book. Read it in just over 24 hours which I haven't done for a long time.

I had a gut feeling that PC Beard was a wrong 'un.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
does anyone ever look at book reviews on GoodReads before starting a book? I find that at times the negative reviews (of which there seem to be many) really influence how I feel about the book at the start
I never never read reviews, most are from net galley aand it’s well known if you give an author a 5 star review the publishing company are more likely to give you more early release review copies of future books, I’ve got hundreds that way 😂
Negative reviews are usually connected to other authors and family members/friends trying to knock out the competition. I might look on Amazon for overall score rating but anything overly positive or overly negative I don’t count.

The only reviews I really trust are ones from independent bookstores and their staff. You know the sort handwritten on a card instore? Always like checking out what the ‘staff picks’ are. My local library also has a section for their staff favourites too!

Reactions: 2
This sounds right up my street. I normally don’t buy my next book until I’ve finished my current one but I’ve just ordered it! Will get to it after The Push.
Wow I wish I had your self-restraint!

I finished everything I never told you by Celeste Ng earlier, I enjoyed it I just wished for something a bit more? But I guess that's the point of the book really. I'd give it a 3.5 as some of it was a bit sluggish to get through and the style of writing was sometimes difficult to follow.
Oh I liked that book, although I preferred Little Fires Everywhere. The TV series of the latter was pretty good too, but of course the book was better!

Did anyone else really enjoy The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson? The author's got a new book out called Sweet Sweet Revenge Ltd. I'm definitely going to read it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4

Oh I liked that book, although I preferred Little Fires Everywhere. The TV series of the latter was pretty good too, but of course the book was better!

Did anyone else really enjoy The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson? The author's got a new book out called Sweet Sweet Revenge Ltd. I'm definitely going to read it!
honestly, I hated the 100 year old man, it was so slow and just not my type of book xx

Reactions: 3
Also on a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone ever look at book reviews on GoodReads before starting a book? I find that at times the negative reviews (of which there seem to be many) really influence how I feel about the book at the start
I don't really read reviews, I'll maybe look at a couple of headlines and the star rating, but on the whole I think reading is subjective, just because some other people don't like something doesn't mean I won't and vice versa and it doesn't mean a book is bad just because some people don't like the storyline.

Reactions: 4
I do read the reviews, not usually before I read a book but sometimes after. I am always curious to see if other people disliked/liked the same bits I did, but I wouldn't not read a book because it had 540 1* reviews or automatically want to read a book because it had glowing 5* ones. Like this thread, we all like different things. Some popular books here I have read and thought meh, some books I have seen panned on here I have read and enjoyed.

Reactions: 7
I wish I could just buy all the books (and everything else) I see that I like but I just can’t afford to do that. It does mean I really focus my purchases to stuff I really like, everything else is kept on an Amazon TBR list.

I can highly recommend the DCI Jack Logan series of books by JD Kirk which is a pen name for Barry Hutchison a Fort William native. All the books are set in the Highlands and if you know the area all the places are real even JJs cafe. A mix of grisly murders and laugh out loud moments and characters you really care about. There are 12 books so far the 12th not in print yet, It’s not taken me over one day reading any of the books absolutely unputdownable, ye I know that’s not a real word 😂
Thanks for this recommendation, I downloaded the first 3 and have almost finished the first one. Loving it!

Thanks for this recommendation, I downloaded the first 3 and have almost finished the first one. Loving it!
I’m so pleased you took my recommendation I just love these books 😀 if they were put on screen I picture Phil Glenister from life on Mars as DCI Logan.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.