Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just finished Shipped. It was ok. A slightly less good version of The Unhoneymooners. It was what I needed after The Push though, a nice easy read.

I’m going to try Hamnet next but I’m a bit apprehensive as it’s out of my comfort zone.

Reactions: 3
Just finished The Push. Wow it was twisted.

I wasnt sure if it was gonna go the other way and the character you think is the bad one isnt and the other character is unhinged.

Reactions: 11
I have also just finished reading The Push. Let’s just say I’ve not been too productive working today, I just couldn’t put it down!

It was going to get a 4/5 for me until the last third pushed it up to a 5.

I’d say from when Blythe met Gemma under her disguise was when it became a 5* book for me. Then when Fox realised who she was… I wanted to cry for her. I thought it was so sad. I believed Violet was just misunderstood until that last line. Wow.

Reactions: 7
I have also just finished reading The Push. Let’s just say I’ve not been too productive working today, I just couldn’t put it down!

It was going to get a 4/5 for me until the last third pushed it up to a 5.

I’d say from when Blythe met Gemma under her disguise was when it became a 5* book for me. Then when Fox realised who she was… I wanted to cry for her. I thought it was so sad. I believed Violet was just misunderstood until that last line. Wow.
yes I really thought the same. I thought a combination of Blythes upbringing and Violet being a difficult child had tainted Blythes view of reality but its almost like its skipped a generation? I also got the impression that Fox found it much easier to blame Blythe than accept the truth about his daughter. Also when Gemma got up and left the money in the coffee shop when Blythe asked if she'd seen any signs that Violet had something off about her. Makes me think that the author wanted to put across that Gemma had suspected it too and like Fox was trying to pretend it wasnt happening

I feel like I need a palate cleanser now. It was quite a tough read. I have Queenie to read next. Hoping its more light hearted

Reactions: 6
yes I really thought the same. I thought a combination of Blythes upbringing and Violet being a difficult child had tainted Blythes view of reality but its almost like its skipped a generation? I also got the impression that Fox found it much easier to blame Blythe than accept the truth about his daughter. Also when Gemma got up and left the money in the coffee shop when Blythe asked if she'd seen any signs that Violet had something off about her. Makes me think that the author wanted to put across that Gemma had suspected it too and like Fox was trying to pretend it wasnt happening

I feel like I need a palate cleanser now. It was quite a tough read. I have Queenie to read next. Hoping its more light hearted
I felt the same after The Push so went with The Six Guests - you can tell immediately that it’s not of the same calibrate as The Push but it’s easier to read to at least.

Reactions: 2
Yeah it’s not!!! The description of it being like Bridget Jones is just not true
😂 really? Damn. Im mostly a thriller reader so having a look through my TBR pile is just bleak. I really need to try and get some more easy going reads for in between.

Reactions: 1
The push was such a perfect mix of what I love in a book,
Y baby bear porridge book 😂 yes, I have some bleeping weird analogy's

I listened to the broken by Tamara Cohen, never greener by Ruth Jones, and baby proof by Emily griffin this week!

the broken was odd, it wasn’t…. bad, I just failed to find it anything more than ok.

really liked baby proof, light read, nothing groundbreaking.

I’m now avoiding rebecca chance killer affair on my kindle until after I get tested and going with the girlfriend by Michelle Frances, so I’ve cleared out some storage book and I can buy more ☺ Right.. thought so!!

Reactions: 3
😂 really? Damn. Im mostly a thriller reader so having a look through my TBR pile is just bleak. I really need to try and get some more easy going reads for in between.
It’s pretty hard going with topics around mental health and abuse etc

I’ve just finished Shipped. It was ok. A slightly less good version of The Unhoneymooners. It was what I needed after The Push though, a nice easy read.

I’m going to try Hamnet next but I’m a bit apprehensive as it’s out of my comfort zone.
Hamnet is superb.

Fell into a bit of a reading slump but i’ve picked myself up again and caught up on the last few pages of the last thread. I recently finished The Summer Job by Lizzy Dent which I enjoyed and currently reading The Lucky Escape by Laura Jane Williams who wrote Our Stop which I enjoyed so looking forward to reading this one. Then next up is my book club book which is the Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes

Book roundup 😂 finished something blue for the second time because I watched something borrowed last week and realised I hadn’t read the second book in years and couldn’t remember what happened in it.
i’m just catching up - there’s a book series for the Something Borrowed movie? The one with Kate Hudson in it?
I'm just reading my first Colleen Hoover book too! It Ends With Us. It's supposed to be very good, and I'm liking it so far. I'll have to check out Verity too.
It Ends With Us is amazing. It was my first Colleen Hoover book and it’s one of the few books I wish I could read for the first time again, I loved it

Last edited:
i’m just catching up - there’s a book series for the Something Borrowed movie? The one with Kate Hudson in it?
Yeah I enjoyed it! There's a sequel too. I think it's called Something Blue. I read them a while ago though so can't remember them properly.

ETA whoops just realised oohthedrama already said this!

• Heart
Fell into a bit of a reading slump but i’ve picked myself up again and caught up on the last few pages of the last thread. I recently finished The Summer Job by Lizzy Dent which I enjoyed and currently reading The Lucky Escape by Laura Jane Williams who wrote Our Stop which I enjoyed so looking forward to reading this one. Then next up is my book club book which is the Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes

It Ends With Us is amazing. It was my first Colleen Hoover book and it’s one of the few books I wish I could read for the first time again, I loved it
Yeah I enjoyed it! There's a sequel too. I think it's called Something Blue. I read them a while ago though so can't remember them properly.

ETA whoops just realised oohthedrama already said this!
i re read something borrowed/blue two weeks ago after years and years to read something light, I loved them all over again, totally recommend the second

• Heart
I tried to read both Girl A and The Push but just couldn't get into them.

Perhaps too childish for most but very nostalgic for me, I’ve been reading the Anne of green gables series and absolutely loving it just as much as I did when I was a kid.

I recommend Jeannie of white peak farm for something in a very similar style.

Other books I recently finished and recommend:

The Warning - James Patterson
Home Front Girls - Rosie Goodwin
The Sting - Kimberley Chambers
Betrayal - Martina Cole (very gripping)

First time in a few months I’ve finished one book in a day, a Disney biography of Robert Iger, not brilliant, not terrible. Only cost 99p on kindle so not mad. Happy to have done most of it in the sunshine too!

I tried to read both Girl A and The Push but just couldn't get into them.
I have to admit I didn’t love Girl A, there was just something missing in the story to me. I found it really hard to believe the life paths of many of the characters (sorry, trying not to give anything away) and it didn’t seem to me to be a realistic depiction of the impacts of that kind of trauma.

Just finished The Kiss Quotient - actually really enjoyed it! Now on to Normal People as my next fiction read (my current non-fiction read is Alan Duncan's diaries - so dry!!!)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.