Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

qwikti

Chatty Member
Omg yay! I had no idea this thread was a thing! i am glad to have seen it! I love to share my excitement about books, especially because i feel like only other readers will understand that thrill of getting a new book in the post (and also because there comes a point where I can't keep rambling to my sister about how nice this specific edition of a classic is, and how much I want even more books, despite needing to get through the ones I've already got)

I am currently reading Crime and Punishment, and I'm about 70% of the way in, and have been enjoying myself a lot with it! I am also reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, which I haven't been dipping into as much, and am only around 20 pages in.

My book buying has been kind of out of control lately, but that and reading are pretty much my only source of dopamine right now, so my bank account will have to forgive me~ ✨

• Heart
Reactions: 10

HoGi

VIP Member
I want to have a job where I can just read all day and get paid my salary without actually doing anything. Just read, post here to say I've read another book then move onto the next one 😂 😂
My job involves running lots of reports that whilst they are running you can't access anything else on the system. So I can't even reply to emails etc as I can't look anything up.

So anyway, the best part of working from home has meant I can read whilst these reports are being run 🙊 in the office I would just have to sit there looking at an egg timer.

Damita

Just treated myself to a first edition of Alice in Wonderland with David Hall's illustrations as it's the same edition as the one my library used to stock when I was a child, which I have really fond memories of my late granddad reading to me from. AiW has always been such a fascinating book to me!

I recently purchased a specific edition of The Wizard of Oz for the same reason.

• Heart

Lola123

VIP Member
I want to have a job where I can just read all day and get paid my salary without actually doing anything. Just read, post here to say I've read another book then move onto the next one 😂 😂
Perks of being a teacher on summer holidays 😂 whilst I work hard during term time for my salary, it’s times like now you feel really lucky

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I’m back. *small cheer from one - myself* 😂

I’m over half way through Santa Montefiore’s the distant shores and I’m LOVING it.
Also read Lisa Jewell’s the night she disappeared and listened to queenie and 56 days from Catherine Ryan Howard in the last 3 days. 😂

I’m not a big fan of Lisa Jewell, I know she’s very popular with so many, I liked it, it’s not as bad as some of her last ones (the family upstairs 🤐) but I just can’t gel with her writing anymore 😣

hope everyone is doing ok 🥰

Reactions: 9

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Not the commenter but I LOVED it. Really well written and I couldn’t put it down! I paid full price on kindle which I never do too (2 days later it was 99p!)
Was 56 days good? Would you recommend it?
I smashed 56 days out in 2 days. Loved it.

Wasn't as good as the nothing man in my opinion but still a blinder
agree ☺👍 I got it from the library and had it sitting in my loans with no rush to listen to it because the blurb wasn’t pulling me in.

but.....ok I’m going to admit something that will probably make me look like a bit of a loser.
i am 😂

I play a game of Pokemon cat and book mouse on the library app.
i need to catch all the new books when they’re released. 😂 and I have a system 😂 being a full on insomniac I’m usually awake when they update their library so I’m ready with my account and my mother’s account (I think my mother last read a book in 1982, she doesn’t know she has a library card 😐) ready to borrow.
its becoming a bit of an addiction 😐

anyway 56 days 🤣 it was about to expire but your wan Catherine was on tv about two days ago and she seemed nice so I thought I’d give it a go 😂 I’d listened to ireland am, I’d already hit rock bottom...😂😂

I really enjoyed it, well worth a read. id never read anything by her before and I expected her to be the usual *oirish* fiction writer 😆

(I’m still recovering from the fixer by Claudia Carroll 🤦‍♀️)

it’s quite odd reading about what we lived as fiction though, it reads SO much like fiction it’s bizarre it was an actual period of time. Anyone who knows me from the covid thread knows I love a toilet roll so I’m glad they got a shout out.
I usually don’t like books that jump from one person’s narrative to the next but it worked, maybe it’s audio thing, I find it doesn’t bother me when I’m listening over reading.

Not the commenter but I LOVED it. Really well written and I couldn’t put it down! I paid full price on kindle which I never do too (2 days later it was 99p!)
oh no no no, contact them when this happens and say you found a better price elsewhere and they’ll refund, it’s a genuine reason to return on their list! 🤣
amazon make a fortune, no regrets doing this.

• Heart

Em28_

Chatty Member
I finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo this morning (like you’re all saying with Crawdads, I had been put off slightly by the hype around it but boy was I wrong).

I have never read a book that has wrecked me as much as this has. It’s 100% worth the hype. I thought I’d worked out halfway through how Evelyn and Monique were connected but no, what a shock that was. I absolutely loved it.

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Ok drumroll please!

I've gotten my thinking cap on and come up with a rough structure for Tattle's Inaugural Readathon. It's taking place over the August Bank Holiday weekend and you can take part in as much or as little as you like. I've mixed in prompts and some games too. Happy to do a quiz if enough people are interested - I bloody love a book quiz!

Day 1

Introduce yourself!

Hello my name is....

I plan to read...... during the readathon

The last book I read was...

My favourite book as a child was....

My favourite book as a teenager was.....

My favourite book now is.....

2 x reading sprints with specific times (these can run each day - more on these below.).

End of day check in - pages read, coffee drunk, change of goals tomorrow? (can do this at the end of each day - no pressure!)

Day 2

Three books that sum up me....

Turn to page 42 in your current read. Share the first line with us. Can anyone guess where it's from?

Which book would you like to live in and why?

Day 3

Show us a photo of your bookmark/ebook reader cover/associated reading paraphernalia

Tell us about the book(s) this thread has inspired you to read.

READING SPRINTS

These are designed to get you reading within a set time frame. Everyone closes Tattle 😉, picks up their reading material and just reads for 15 minutes, half an hour or whatever time frame we agree upon. You can report back with how much you've read, beverages/snacks consumed etc. They seem to be quite keen on stats in the readathon community and I quite like that myself 🤣

Happy to take feedback, suggestions and comments re the plans.

this is brilliant biscuits!
this is locked for now but we can decide if we want to do a sub-thread to keep it separate from all of our regular book chats on here which I love ❤😌
it might get messy if not.
But we can decide closer to the time.

Keet

Chatty Member
I really enjoyed the Thursday murder club. It’s not exactly a challenging read but a good bit of escapism.

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
Hi, I’m Cass, I have far too many books in my TBR pile and no motivation to start them but will happily buy a new book or two everytime I go into a charity shop :giggle:

I’m currently trying to read House of Leaves again. Last time I read it it gave me nightmares for months.

Reactions: 8

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Curious to if you all finish books even if you are not enjoying them?

I used to but am more strict now and will quit if I'm really not liking one. I might go back to it a while after to give it another chance to see if it's because of what mood I was in at the time, but only if it was one that I had been excited about.
I’ve got to really hate it to give up on a book. I like to know how things end even if I’m not enjoying so will plough on - same with films. I don’t like leaving things unfinished. Only one I’ve given up on in recent years has been Normal People.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
currentl about to start my 100th book of the year! Very excited to see what else you lovely individuals recommend
well done!!!!!!!!!!!
is it bad after years of reading I still don’t count or remember to log them into good reads 😂 I really should 😂 I’m just so lazy with it.
i read a shocking low amount last year, months went by and I was reading nothing and I’m only realising now how much it effected me negatively.

let’s throw in an annoying gif 😂

• Haha
I miss you guys!!!! Work is crazy. Buying a house is crazy. My kindle is sitting there looking at me tempting me.

I am curious - does anyone have a favourite author? Who are they and why are they your favourite? Do you buy every book they release?
I like Lindsey Kelk. Her books were what got me into reading for fun. I've met her before and she was nice. We were in Vegas together at the same time and I saw her and was so starstruck! And I've been to an event with her there too. I loved her books but as I've matured I can't enjoy the recent ones as much. I haven't read I heart hawaii or a couple of her newer ones. But doesn't stop me from buying them!

I also like John Marrs, Bethany Chambers, Gillian Flynn and Peter Swanson. I've bought and read all of their books.

• Heart

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
My husband (who rolls his eyes at all my to be read books!) sent me a parcel of books today -

Moonflower Murders by Anthony Horowitz
The Whole Truth by Cara Hunter
The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donoghue
The Miseducation of Evie Epworth by Matson Taylor
The Kingdom by Jo Nesbo
Because of You by Dawn French

Has anyone read any of them? Not sure I would have picked any of these, but I will give them a go. Husbands, eh?!

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
God bless the weird phone stalkers. A book I had on my wishlist on Amazon has just show up on a fb ad telling me it was 99p. :D

• Haha
  • Heart

Laurenia

I always finish a book, even if I hate it. I am weirdly obsessed with my Goodreads challenge and I can’t bear the thought of not finding out the answers 😂

I finished The Wolf Den. It was quite good. It was more character driven and at times the plot felt a bit slow, and it also felt weirdly modern for a book set in ancient Pompeii? I had initially given the book 3 stars as it felt a bit unfinished but I’ve just realised it’s a trilogy so I’ve upped my review to 4 stars and will read the next one.

Edited to say I asked my partner to choose my next book for me and he’s selected Tell Me Your Secret by Dorothy Koomson.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I also thought I could just get my husband to randomly select a couple of books for me on Kindle Unlimited if I really wanted to have a surprise and read something that I wouldn't usually choose!
If this thread is still going in a few months with the same familiar faces we should do this for each other 😂

put all our names in together and we each choose a book for each other,
Like secret Santa if Santa got an Amazon spon. 😬

barack’s book is taking ages because it’s so clunky!
I did start this about 3 times but I knew it was a loosing battle so I never went back 🙈

• Heart

tp1986

I've been a bit of a lurker but thought I'd say hello and join if that's okay!
Just about to start a new book from one of these (any recommendations for which to start on gratefully received...)
Nine perfect strangers
The lock in
The book of two ways

I read a lot of different genres but tend towards supermarket shelf picks/fantasy/young adult, but some recent reads I enjoyed-
My dark Vanessa
Erringby
Malibu Rising
People like her

• Heart