Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I totally agree she is very basic and cookie cutter author!

Unfortunately she seems to have a following who will buy whatever has her name in it so I can't see publishers dropping her any time soon
I read the flatshare on my kindle on a 4 hour train journey just after Christmas and loved it. The switch I read one holiday as it was also 99p: the road trip I rushed out to buy. They’ve each lost one more star than the other for me. So my by odds the next one will be a 2*….. she had something good going but I now feel she’s pumping them out too quickly and not developing them at all. I will only buy her next one if they’re 99p at a push

Reactions: 3
I quite enjoyed the Flatshare as it was a light and easy read. I have The Switch on my bookshelf and haven’t read The Roadtrip yet. Occasionally I like to try something different as I’m a big fan of crime and thriller novels usually.

Reactions: 2
I listened to the road trip on audible and I hated it couldn’t wait for it to finish! I didn’t like any of the characters or the narrator so it was a big no from me.

Reactions: 1
I forgot that the Edinburgh International Book Festival is happening right up the road from me in 3 days 😂 Looks like there's some good stuff on, and you can stream events!

Reactions: 2
The Road Trip is definitely the weakest of the three.

Like others I am usually a crime/thriller fan but sometimes need a break so will read something different. But I won't be rushing out for Beth's next book

I'm probably n the minority here but I'm getting really tired of authors being openly bigoted about 'posh' people. I'm seeing it in more and more books, seems to be the only type of person that it's ok to generalise about.

I’m keen for this, what exactly is invovled? (Maybe a stupid question)
No, not a stupid question at all. It's just a nice excuse for everyone to sit down and read at the same time. There's sometimes a games element such as "Turn to page 56 of your current read and share the first line." Or mini quizzes, photo prompts, Q&As. I quite enjoy reading sprints where everyone reads for 15 minutes then reports back to say how many pages they've read in that time.

If it's just a day long readathon, it's typical for people to choose shorter reads, such as graphic novels or short story collections. But there's no right or wrong way to do it. The last readathon I took part in, I just focused on the book I was currently reading.

Hope this makes sense!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
If it's just a day long readathon
if it’s gonna be over the bank holiday weekend when likely a lot of you have plans (not a bank holiday here!) I wonder if it would be an idea to spread it out over 3/4 days and therefore there’s more flexibility.

your baby though so your rules!!! 😌❤
biscuits books readathon! 😂😆😬

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Possibly a little niche but I’m currently reading a trilogy by F.C Clark, she’s self published (I think) They’re along the lines of 50 shades I guess but with an ACTUAL story and WAYYYYY less sexy scenes. I’m really enjoying them. Such easy reading and you sort of forget you’re reading a smutty book because there’s a proper story to it, and a bit of background other than just bonking. Would definitely recommend if you’re into that kind of thing!

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but Pachinko is available for free on Prime Reading. I know the book has been mentioned in this thread.

Reactions: 4
@Oohthedrama Och, I'm easy going when it comes to this. That's a good suggestion as I'm more likely to get some childfree time if it's spread over the whole weekend. Also, we don't get the bank Holiday in Scotland so Biggest will be at nursery on the Monday 😍

Part of my enjoyment from the readathons comes from the prep and choosing what to read. Let me have a go at working out a loose structure over the weekend. I like how casual this thread is so want to try and reflect that in any plans 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 7
@Oohthedrama Och, I'm easy going when it comes to this. That's a good suggestion as I'm more likely to get some childfree time if it's spread over the whole weekend. Also, we don't get the bank Holiday in Scotland so Biggest will be at nursery on the Monday 😍

Part of my enjoyment from the readathons comes from the prep and choosing what to read. Let me have a go at working out a loose structure over the weekend. I like how casual this thread is so want to try and reflect that in any plans 😊
I've never done anything like this before but am excited to join! I've been a bit lazy with reading recently so this sounds like a fun way to get back to it. :giggle:

• Heart
Back with a vengeance post reading hiatus, I finished The Push last weekend. Gave it 3/5, I enjoyed it and the ending but wanted MORE DETAIL! Can definitely see why the review on the cover mentions We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Also just finished Hungry by Grace Dent and LOVED it. If you're working class and of a certain age (40s) there's so much nostalgia. The relationship with her gradually ailing parents is very touching. A very evocative and at times emotional read. I was never that bothered about reading Dent's work before but I'll be ordering more. If it wasn't for STUPID WORK, I would have finished this one in a day.

Reactions: 6
Just treated myself to a first edition of Alice in Wonderland with David Hall's illustrations as it's the same edition as the one my library used to stock when I was a child, which I have really fond memories of my late granddad reading to me from. AiW has always been such a fascinating book to me!

I recently purchased a specific edition of The Wizard of Oz for the same reason.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Ok drumroll please!

I've gotten my thinking cap on and come up with a rough structure for Tattle's Inaugural Readathon. It's taking place over the August Bank Holiday weekend and you can take part in as much or as little as you like. I've mixed in prompts and some games too. Happy to do a quiz if enough people are interested - I bloody love a book quiz!

Day 1

Introduce yourself!

Hello my name is....

I plan to read...... during the readathon

The last book I read was...

My favourite book as a child was....

My favourite book as a teenager was.....

My favourite book now is.....

2 x reading sprints with specific times (these can run each day - more on these below.).

End of day check in - pages read, coffee drunk, change of goals tomorrow? (can do this at the end of each day - no pressure!)

Day 2

Three books that sum up me....

Turn to page 42 in your current read. Share the first line with us. Can anyone guess where it's from?

Which book would you like to live in and why?

Day 3

Show us a photo of your bookmark/ebook reader cover/associated reading paraphernalia

Tell us about the book(s) this thread has inspired you to read.

READING SPRINTS

These are designed to get you reading within a set time frame. Everyone closes Tattle 😉, picks up their reading material and just reads for 15 minutes, half an hour or whatever time frame we agree upon. You can report back with how much you've read, beverages/snacks consumed etc. They seem to be quite keen on stats in the readathon community and I quite like that myself 🤣

Happy to take feedback, suggestions and comments re the plans.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Ok drumroll please!

I've gotten my thinking cap on and come up with a rough structure for Tattle's Inaugural Readathon. It's taking place over the August Bank Holiday weekend and you can take part in as much or as little as you like. I've mixed in prompts and some games too. Happy to do a quiz if enough people are interested - I bloody love a book quiz!

Day 1

Introduce yourself!

Hello my name is....

2 x reading sprints with specific times (these can run each day - more on these below.).

End of day check in - pages read, coffee drunk, change of goals tomorrow? (can do this at the end of each day - no pressure!)

Day 2

Turn to page 42 in your current read. Share the first line with us. Can anyone guess where it's from?

Day 3

Show us a photo of your bookmark/ebook reader cover/associated reading paraphernalia

READING SPRINTS

These are designed to get you reading within a set time frame. Everyone closes Tattle 😉, picks up their reading material and just reads for 15 minutes, half an hour or whatever time frame we agree upon. You can report back with how much you've read, beverages/snacks consumed etc. They seem to be quite keen on stats in the readathon community and I quite like that myself 🤣

Ooh love it! I’m not sure how much time I’ll get over the weekend as we’ve got a few plans but I’m sure I can find some pockets of time to get involved.

Ooh love it! I’m not sure how much time I’ll get over the weekend as we’ve got a few plans but I’m sure I can find some pockets of time to get involved.
Fab! I was trying to plan activities that weren't time sensitive (except the reading sprints). Hope to see you there 😊

Ok drumroll please!

Day 1

Introduce yourself!

Hello my name is....

Day 2

Day 3

READING SPRINTS

I can't wait! Already thinking of which books to read :giggle:

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.