Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Right, husband and child are out so I have about an hour to myself. Head down, time to get Her Last Breath done and dusted and out of the way so I can start an actually good book! I speed read from 80-90% last night, now the last 10% to go! Come on, come on!

And I’m done! Time now to get myself into What She Knew.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
It is waaaayyy past my bedtime but I had to stay up to finish Three Hours. Absolute rollarcoaster of a book. Read it in just over 24 hours which I haven't done for a long time.

I had a gut feeling that PC Beard was a wrong 'un.

• Heart

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
I’m keen for this, what exactly is invovled? (Maybe a stupid question)
No, not a stupid question at all. It's just a nice excuse for everyone to sit down and read at the same time. There's sometimes a games element such as "Turn to page 56 of your current read and share the first line." Or mini quizzes, photo prompts, Q&As. I quite enjoy reading sprints where everyone reads for 15 minutes then reports back to say how many pages they've read in that time.

If it's just a day long readathon, it's typical for people to choose shorter reads, such as graphic novels or short story collections. But there's no right or wrong way to do it. The last readathon I took part in, I just focused on the book I was currently reading.

Hope this makes sense!

• Heart

Smca53

VIP Member
For those crime/legal thriller lovers out there I’ve been reading the Eddie Flynn series by Steve Cavanagh and really loving it.

• Heart

Gamu

VIP Member
You’re right, this thread is my favourite. My grievance is with the things that stop me dedicating more time to reading 😂

Can anyone suggest a quicker way to checking kindle book prices? I have several books in my Amazon basket. Each day I check through them one by one to see if the kindle price has decreased. But I have to click on the book, change it to kindle format and then check the price. There’s got to be a quicker way?!
Put the books in your wish list on kindle format and check it periodically from low to high price. If you have kindle app on phone it will tell you when a price goes down
Also 1st day of month loads of books go to 99p for a few days I live for that day!

• Heart
  • Wow

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
If it's just a day long readathon
if it’s gonna be over the bank holiday weekend when likely a lot of you have plans (not a bank holiday here!) I wonder if it would be an idea to spread it out over 3/4 days and therefore there’s more flexibility.

your baby though so your rules!!! 😌❤
biscuits books readathon! 😂😆😬

• Heart
Reactions: 7

francaispangol

This is a rogue one, but Marcus Rashford’s book. Came up on my Libary app via audiobook and honestly if any of your have teens or young children who struggle with resilience and working hard to get where they need to go or self belief and confidence, buy it
Not a child but probably need this at 22 😂

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Any other WFH-ers do a bit of work then read a chapter? Just me? I figure its only time Id use having idle chit chat with colleagues....

Custard cream

I have just started I heart New York after everyone raving about it on here and so far I love it! Have the rest of the series too - bought the box set on eBay for £17 - so that will keep me going for a while!

• Heart

Lola123

VIP Member
Do you ever get into a slump post book, everything I keep opening on kindle is not doing it for me 😂

Lola123

VIP Member
I went for welcome to cooper! They weren’t at all for me this month, first month I’ve felt a bit let down by them all tbf

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I do read the reviews, not usually before I read a book but sometimes after. I am always curious to see if other people disliked/liked the same bits I did, but I wouldn't not read a book because it had 540 1* reviews or automatically want to read a book because it had glowing 5* ones. Like this thread, we all like different things. Some popular books here I have read and thought meh, some books I have seen panned on here I have read and enjoyed.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
You should listen to this is going to hurt! Best audiobook ever!
oh I loved this book, I loved his humour. I now want to see what it’s like as an audiobook 🤣
I just found the switch was made to be an audio, I get irritated at the hype around certain authors, Beth O’Leary was one of them and it instantly makes me dislike them 😆 but I’d have rated it higher as an audio because it brings it to life. 😂

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I got my husband to pick a book of my wish list for my next read and he picked The Last House on Needless Street. I am hooked!! I normally read for about ten minutes before going to sleep but I’ve been on an hour tonight and don’t want to stop. Only the thought of a 3 year old waking me up at 6am is forcing me to close the kindle app.

twilightgarden

VIP Member
I have probably at least a years worth of First Read books I haven’t read yet 😂 My kindle is jam packed thanks to 99p deals and NetGalley

• Haha

Dxmon

recently finished my dark Vanessa. Read it in under 4 days, utterly gripping yet dark too. It’s about a relationship between a teacher and pupil. Not something I’d usually pick up but it was gripping.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Short chapters are the best. You definitely do read more because of it.

I hated the long chapters in My Dark Vanessa. It really put me off.