Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Best thread on tattle life number 4!! ☺

Reactions: 12
Just finished The Five. Not read a non fiction book in years so it made a change.
The book delves into the lives of the five Jack the Ripper victims. I found some of the stories more interesting than others and I also felt, on occasion, the other was using poetic licence with some of her facts/assumptions. That said, I found it interesting to read a bit about the social history of the time.
My great grandmother was born in Whitechapel in the summer of 1888 so no doubt her mother felt great fear. One of the streets mentioned in the book where a victim lived was described as the worst/poorest street in London. My great grandmother was born in the adjacent street. I knew my family were poor, but that brought home to me just how poor they really were.

Reactions: 13
I’m audio booking books I’ve already read 🙈 just finished something borrowed/something blue (which I forgot how much I liked 😂) and now I’m looking for a new one.

the library apps are bloody brilliant until you realise a book is reserved until October 2022 😐

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I’m audio booking books I’ve already read 🙈 just finished something borrowed/something blue (which I forgot how much I liked 😂) and now I’m looking for a new one.

the library apps are bloody brilliant until you realise a book is reserved until October 2022 😐
e-licenses are too expensive to have lots of availability. That’s why the YouTube audio books get deleted for copyright so often!

Reactions: 3
e-licenses are too expensive to have lots of availability. That’s why the YouTube audio books get deleted for copyright so often!
I’m so annoyed because I had a new release that was available right now, I was stupid and thought I’d go in and use a loan on it later, because I was just about to return a book, went to borrow and it’s already at November 2020 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I’m so annoyed because I had a new release that was available right now, I was stupid and thought I’d go in and use a loan on it later, because I was just about to return a book, went to borrow and it’s already at November 2020 😂
Hahaha literally this has happened so many times to me too. 😭😭

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Just finished Malibu Rising. I enjoyed it but thought the ending was cliched.

Just started The Rose Code by Kate Quinn. I loved the Alice Network so i hope this is good.

I just got a new Kindle Paperwhite to replace by 10 year old basic Kindle. The paperwhite is a joy to read on.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
thanks to this thread I've joined my local library and got myself ebooks!! What joy! haha! I hadn't used a library in so many years! I've managed to start Holly Bourne's Are we all Lemmings and Snowflakes.. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

thanks to this thread I've joined my local library and got myself ebooks!! What joy! haha! I hadn't used a library in so many years! I've managed to start Holly Bourne's Are we all Lemmings and Snowflakes.. I'll let you know how I get on with it.
same!!!! It’s something I’d never done before and I’m like a pig in tit kid on Christmas morning 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
@JLXRD - finished Dolly by Susan Hill and have to say don’t bother. It’s the most pointless book ever. Giving it 1 star is generous.

Reactions: 1
Just finished The Five. Not read a non fiction book in years so it made a change.
The book delves into the lives of the five Jack the Ripper victims. I found some of the stories more interesting than others and I also felt, on occasion, the other was using poetic licence with some of her facts/assumptions. That said, I found it interesting to read a bit about the social history of the time.
My great grandmother was born in Whitechapel in the summer of 1888 so no doubt her mother felt great fear. One of the streets mentioned in the book where a victim lived was described as the worst/poorest street in London. My great grandmother was born in the adjacent street. I knew my family were poor, but that brought home to me just how poor they really were.
That's one of the reasons I found it interesting to read too, the author gave a really good sense of what life was like at the time and some of the things I learnt were really shocking.

I just bought The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See, it's 99p on Kindle:

Mi-ja and Young-sook, two girls living on the Korean island of Jeju, are best friends that come from very different backgrounds. When they are old enough, they begin working in the sea with their village’s all-female diving collective, led by Young-sook’s mother. As the girls take up their positions as baby divers, they know they are beginning a life of excitement and responsibility but also danger.

The Island of Sea Women is an epic set over many decades, beginning during a period of Japanese colonialism in the 1930s and 1940s, followed by World War II, the Korean War and its aftermath, through the era of cell phones and wetsuits for the women divers.

The reviews look good, and I've just looked into the author's other books and she has a few others with v good reviews too.

A new thread 🥳🥳🥳

I'm still reading Every Vow You Break by Peter Swanson. I'm enjoying the book but life just seems so busy right now I am struggling to find time to read.

currently Reading good omens, if you need someone new to listen too Neil gaiman has the most relaxing and soothing voice!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Finished What She Knew yesterday. Absolutely loved it, raced through it from start to finish desperate to find out what happened.

Finished What She Knew yesterday. Absolutely loved it, raced through it from start to finish desperate to find out what happened.
Definitely needs to be my next read by the sounds of it…if I ever finish Her Last Breath. I’m 70% of the way through and with every chapter I think ‘that’s it, I’m giving up’ but then I remember I hate giving up so plough on more. It’s just so dull and long, it’s only 289 pages but I reckon the story could be told in 150 if the author cut out the stupidly long and pointless conversations in every chapter.

Ooh I’m about 75% in so looking forward to finding out! Not sure if all will be what it seems…

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.