Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I had an epiphany last night about why some books take me ages to read and others I can flit through in a couple days. It’s all down to chapter size!
If a book has short chapters then I’ll always say “one more chapter then that’s it” but then I’ll check the next chapter and if it has 2/3/4 pages I’ll just quickly read it and then check the next one, and repeat multiple times and before you know I’ve read for another 20 minutes. If I look and the next chapter has 15/20 pages then I know I’m not likely to make it through before wanting to sleep/stop so I’ll put the book down until the next time.

Anyone else the same?

Reactions: 17

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I really really dislike Matt Haig and they hype around him as an author, I found his books tedious.
his publishers have obviously pushed him so much he became popular without merit 😐
I said it 😂

Reactions: 15

Geranium

VIP Member
I read Every Missing Thing last night and, although I didn't enjoy the writing at first and was ready to cast it aside, I persevered and thought it was brilliant. Such a plot twist and the term "poetic justice" sprang to mind at the end. Sometimes it really is worth ploughing through and I think setting aside time to read, rather than picking it up occasionally, really helped.

On the subject of overrated authors, John Marr is another that I don't rate. I read just one of his books and still regret the time I wasted. Other hyped up and popular books also fall flat for me. The Hearts Invisible Furies bored me, Behind Closed Doors and The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes were another 2 that I didn't enjoy.

I've become very adventurous with my reading choices since getting a Kindle and now rarely read an actual book. Kindle unlimited introduced me to Mark Edwards, Rachel Abbott, Helen Fields, Carla Kovach and so many others that I now enjoy. I love reading, it's the best gift my mother ever gave me when she bought me an Enid Blyton book as a child which started my passion.
My granny used to buy me an Enid Blyton book every Friday night and on Saturday I would lie in bed drinking a minestrone cup a soup for breakfast and reading my new book. I still have them all and one of my daughters read them all too.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

jarv

VIP Member
Also after reading on my iPad for ages I have to kindle app, reading from an actual book is hard work does anyone else find this 😂
I have on multiple occasions tapped on a word in a physical book to try and find the definition 🤣 kindle just seems so much easier to read to me

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Omg I love our little community!!!!! 😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰
I'm a sad fuck 🤣

I’ve never read as much before as I do now that I use the Kindle app on my phone. Instead of mindlessly scrolling through social media or the news etc, I make sure I open the Kindle app instead. It fills in all those random pockets of time - waiting for the kettle to boil, on the loo, while my son settles to sleep (thank god for dark mode!) etc. I only read a handful of books last year but this I’m part way through my 15th all thanks to the Kindle app.
people never understand how I can read on my phone, but I do most of my reading on my phone 🙈
it’s so handy, it’s like having a book on you 24/7, it’s the main reason I invested in a larger screen.

I quite like liane moriarty’s books, but her earlier ones are better than her later ones, I think everyone knows big little lies and the husbands secret but I really liked what Alice forgot.

Jane Fallon is an easy read as well I find, again neither are going to win any awards any time soon 😬 but her older books are good!

Reactions: 11
I've finished people like her - I'd give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I felt like it was incredibly relevant to tattle. I got very excited when they mentioned tattle by name. I am 100% sure the author is one of us 😂 😂 Well worth £1.99 for it.
This was book 17 for the year! I can't believe how much more I've read thanks to this thread and my kindle. It seems easier to pick my kindle up compared to a paperback...

On the note of library kindle - it is a shame that UK kindle's are unable to download library books. I know US libraries can.

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Finally finished People Like Her! It was wild wasnt it? Does make you wonder about all the flustered Instamums and how much of it is real.

About to start Daisy Jones & The Six.

After spending a whole year or what felt like it last year scrolling aimlessly I told myself I would do less scrolling and more books. Set myself a Good Reads challenge of 24. 1 audio and 1 actual book per month. Finishing People Like Her was my 14th book this year so I may need to increase my target especially with summer coming and lots of days in the garden.

For anyone considering a kindle, do it!! I got my first kindle, Christmas 2009 was the one with the keyboard along the bottom. The first book I ever bought on it was Jo Nesbo - The Snowman. I then upgraded to the smaller non keyboard one and then to the paperwhite. I find it so easy to pick up and put down. I love that even if I dont finish a chapter it keeps your space. Its so easy to read in bed as its so light. Great in the sunshine.

It also syncs so well with the app so if I ever find myself woth a bit of extra time at school pick up or even on my break at work and I dont have my kindle I can just pick it up on the app.

I will be honest long term on the ipad/phone isnt for me, the kindle is much nicer on the eyes.

• Heart

Gembo

VIP Member
This thread is really inspiring me. I used to read a book every week or two but have been in a rut for over a year because I was reading a book I wasn’t enjoying but refused to give up on and lost the joy. I’ve downloaded the samples for People Like Her, The Sister in Law and Conviction.

Sounds a silly thing but I really suffer with anxiety and I find a really good distraction is to go on Amazon, find a book and then just fall down a rabbit hole clicking on all the related ones and others that they think I might enjoy. I’ve got a list of about 97 books to read at the moment 😬 looking forward to getting back into it!

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Honestly this thread is the best- I am reading so much!
It got me excited about books again! 🥰
there has never been a time I didn’t love to read, and I hated that I’d let it slide, it really upset me to be honest.
I’m glad I’m getting so much pleasure out of stupid things like looking up the books you all recommend and putting them on my wish list. ☺

nbt

VIP Member
I meant to say, I shared LOATP on Insta and tagged the author. She replied to me and we sent a few messages back and forth. I love the book and her even more now, what a lovely thing to do 🥰

• Heart

DrLoomis

What a great thread. I am a writer myself but while I am writing I don't read through fear of unconscious plagiarism. So now my latest manuscript is off to the publisher I am excited to read some of the suggestions on here.

• Heart

jarv

VIP Member
Just finished American dirt, the latter half I got through in less than 24 hours 😱 thought it was fantastic. I've bought a few things on my kindle the last few weeks so will have a peruse for my next read later.

I worked out earlier that I've read 10 books since Christmas! May not be a lot to some people but that's loads to me, I'm so happy to have reignited my passion for reading ☺ I think this thread may have had something to do with it!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
This thread literally makes me fizz with excitement! ‘I’ll read that, and that... ooh let me just download that too’! At this rate, I’ll have to give up work to fit in more reading hours 😂.
I know, if anyone knows me from other threads I’m like a different personality on here 😂 it makes my lil heart happy!!!! 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

Anonymous_Troll

This thread literally makes me fizz with excitement! ‘I’ll read that, and that... ooh let me just download that too’! At this rate, I’ll have to give up work to fit in more reading hours 😂.

• Heart
  • Haha

Shineyshine

VIP Member
My granny used to buy me an Enid Blyton book every Friday night and on Saturday I would lie in bed drinking a minestrone cup a soup for breakfast and reading my new book. I still have them all and one of my daughters read them all too.
Mallory Towers ❤

• Heart

Anonymous_Troll

Hi everyone,
I LIVE for this thread 🥰. Book people are my kind of people. I’ve finished two books both recommended by you lovely lot. First up was ‘The Arrangement’. I really liked the premise - find the sugar baby/daddy lifestyle horrifyingly interesting but I do wish they’d gone down a less obvious plot path. Engaging to read despite this! I’ve also just finished The Last Night by Mhairi Macfarlane. Her debut novel was one of the best books I’ve ever read but her other novels have got progressively worse - this felt like a return to form and I really enjoyed it!
Next up is the Sanatorium. Hyped up books make me nervous .... let’s see what all the fuss is about!
Happy reading everyone ❤

• Heart