Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The midnight library would have gone unnoticed if it hadn’t been for the weight of the name behind it, which is frustrating for unknown authors who release amazing books around the same time but fail to get any attention at all and emails and reviews are all filled with talk of Matt Haig, I think over all that’s why I’m so negative about it.

Reactions: 5
I took a week’s breather from this thread because I was downloading so many new books and I already had a right load which were languishing unread...

I should’ve known better - all that’s happened is I’ve spent a while catching up and made a big list of books to look up 🤦‍♀️
Same!!!
Being a good girl and started reading the oldest download on my Kindle! The Seasiders-A J griffiths Jones. A gentle book about the lives of people in a seasidetown in the 60s.
Niceto have a break from the thrillers i have been reading recently!

Reactions: 1
The midnight library would have gone unnoticed if it hadn’t been for the weight of the name behind it, which is frustrating for unknown authors who release amazing books around the same time but fail to get any attention at all and emails and reviews are all filled with talk of Matt Haig, I think over all that’s why I’m so negative about it.
You're right. I like Matt Haig, (and Reasons to Stay Alive is brilliant), but I do feel it was great timing for him to have a book like this published during lockdown.
Just had a nosey on Amazon reviews and it seems we are not alone @Oohthedrama!!!

Reactions: 4
I am very happy with my Amazon first reads free prime choice this month.
I downloaded The Watcher Girl by Minka Kent. It took me a while to get into but I thought it was a good read. A few twists one which I found predictable but that didn't spoil the story.
My next read will be one of my library choices. Most likely broadcast by Liam Brown. I read another one of his books a few days ago so it will be interesting to see what this one is like.

I've read 22 books since 1st Jan which makes me feel really proud of myself. Last year I only managed 14 and my target for 2021 was 12.

Reactions: 7
I think I read one book last year (I worked all through lockdown and barely took any annual leave). I've targeted myself to read 52 books this year (one a week) and I've read 11 so far and am about 10% through next one.

I should have read about 13 books by now really but I'm happy with how well I'm getting on. I'm part of a book club at work which is helping me read things I wouldn't usually chose to read and I've just subscribed to a box of stories which I'm hoping will male me read more widely too.

I've downloaded a load of 99p books onto my Kindle based on recommendations from here - you guys aren't good for my bank balance!

Reactions: 9
I’m working my way through the Karen Hart series by DS Butler, a recommendation from posters here. Loving them .

• Heart
I had an epiphany last night about why some books take me ages to read and others I can flit through in a couple days. It’s all down to chapter size!
If a book has short chapters then I’ll always say “one more chapter then that’s it” but then I’ll check the next chapter and if it has 2/3/4 pages I’ll just quickly read it and then check the next one, and repeat multiple times and before you know I’ve read for another 20 minutes. If I look and the next chapter has 15/20 pages then I know I’m not likely to make it through before wanting to sleep/stop so I’ll put the book down until the next time.

Anyone else the same?

Reactions: 17
I had an epiphany last night about why some books take me ages to read and others I can flit through in a couple days. It’s all down to chapter size!
If a book has short chapters then I’ll always say “one more chapter then that’s it” but then I’ll check the next chapter and if it has 2/3/4 pages I’ll just quickly read it and then check the next one, and repeat multiple times and before you know I’ve read for another 20 minutes. If I look and the next chapter has 15/20 pages then I know I’m not likely to make it through before wanting to sleep/stop so I’ll put the book down until the next time.

Anyone else the same?
Yes I agree! I love short chapters. It makes it so much easier to read.

Anyone else the same?
Yup! I love a short chapter haha

Reactions: 3

Anyone else the same?
Definitely! I’ve fallen asleep with my kindle still in my hand no end of times, because I’ve told myself I can get through a 5/6 minute chapter and ended up falling asleep a couple of mins in 😂😴

39224D6E-63C9-4E2F-8FDB-765719E88BE8.jpeg

This is (part of) my TBR list. I have waaaay more but I’ve cropped because I do actually HAVE these books and cannot possibly download anymore right now!

What should I read next?

Reactions: 5
Definitely! I’ve fallen asleep with my kindle still in my hand no end of times, because I’ve told myself I can get through a 5/6 minute chapter and ended up falling asleep a couple of mins in 😂😴

View attachment 526946

This is (part of) my TBR list. I have waaaay more but I’ve cropped because I do actually HAVE these books and cannot possibly download anymore right now!

What should I read next?
The plea is a great book. I also loved the switch. Totally different genres but both good reads.

I have fallen asleep with my kindle so many times that my husband calls it "sleep reading" haha

• Heart

View attachment 526946

What should I read next?
Really liked The Switch. I haven't read any of the others.

• Heart

View attachment 526946

What should I read next?
I’ve not read the switch but I’ve read a couple of Beth O’Leary’s books and enjoyed them. Nice easy reads.

• Heart

View attachment 526946

What should I read next?
I have a weak spot for I heart New York. It is the first book I read as a teen that got me hooked into reading.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I think I’m going to go for one of the light hearted easier reads as currently my life is full of thriller type books, Line of Duty, Unforgotten and Marcella... so all a bit murdery really 😂 could do with a bit more balance!

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.