Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls is another top read that has just come to mind.

Really didn't like the film of it though.

Reactions: 1
When I was about 15 I read my mum's old paperback of Rivals by Jilly Cooper. I had never loved a book before so much or since. On the same holiday I also read Unsticky by Sarrah Manning...wow opened my innocent eyes. Love them both to this day
Recent favourite is Swansong by Robert McCammeron. I loved Sabine Durrant's Lie with Me, great anti hero, but her latest two I didn't enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Fucks sake ladies I just bought People Like Her too.
ENABLERS.
this is my favourite thread 💝

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
When I was about 15 I read my mum's old paperback of Rivals by Jilly Cooper. I had never loved a book before so much or since. On the same holiday I also read Unsticky by Sarrah Manning...wow opened my innocent eyes. Love them both to this day
Recent favourite is Swansong by Robert McCammeron. I loved Sabine Durrant's Lie with Me, great anti hero, but her latest two I didn't enjoy.
I like Sarra Manning too. I loved her Diary of a Crush series so much when I was young.

Reactions: 3
Can anyone recommend some thrillers? Some I’ve liked so far this year are The Guest List and Then She Was Gone.

I’ve tried Into the Water but can’t get into it, there’s so many different POV’s.

Can anyone recommend some thrillers? Some I’ve liked so far this year are The Guest List and Then She Was Gone.

I’ve tried Into the Water but can’t get into it, there’s so many different POV’s.
Try The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley - feels really similar to The Guest List but just with a different setting. I really enjoyed them both. Also The Last Resort by Susi Holliday feels like a similar vibe.

• Heart
Riders and Rivals are two all time favourites of mine too . I love horses and it’s (Riders) such a exciting read for show jumping fans. It’s such a shame that her last few books are dreadful. But I guess she’s getting very old now.

Anything by Shari Lapena, I’ve loved every single one.

Reactions: 4
A great question, not easy to answer.

I think I would have to say Wild Swans. I read it several times cover to cover and never tired of the stories of those women’s lives. Amazing. I don’t generally go for biographical books, historical fiction and thrillers are more my thing, but this comprised history along with such fascinating life stories that I truly cherished that book. I haven’t gone back to it for years but I’m thinking now could be the time.

Also have to say both Just William and Diary of a Nobody will always hold a place in my heart!
You are so right about Wild Swans. It's the most incredible read. In my top ten of the best books I've ever read.

Hi fellow library worker! Congratulations reading so many books and on being pregnant of course. I’ve been the same, I’ve gone through periods when I just can’t seem to read but this thread has been a huge boost as there are so many recommendations. I’ve always liked reading groups and talking about books with library customers but there’s been none of that in the pandemic but the Tattle book threads and our staff online group has helped.
People on here have made some great suggestions like re-reading an old favourite and I love audio books which I listen to in the car and when cooking or doing housework. I always wind down before bed with some reading. One thing that has really boosted my reading is during lockdowns it’s just been me and my husband at home and we were eating every meal in front of the tv. After dropping food down myself once too often I suggested we revert to eating at the dining room table for lunch and dinner BUT that we allowed ourselves to read while we eat. We go for two walks a day so have plenty of time to chat and catch up. Honestly it’s made us both so happy, we are enjoying both our food and our reading so much and we can discuss our books as well.
When the baby arrives it might be hard but even if you can only set aside a short period each day to read a bit it will be a little time for you. Using a kindle might be easier than holding a book and a sleeping baby! My sister in law read a load of books during night feeds - her babies liked long leisurely feeds in the middle of the night.
This thread is so nice, I love to check in here and get inspiration for new reads. You will get your reading groove back soon I hope. Take care xx

I’ve read a few of those! Really enjoyed the Sister in Law. It transported me to somewhere hot and it didn’t end in a predictable way.
Yeah the “Sister In Law” was a great book with a good twist at end👍

Try Sweet Water by Cara Reinard, The Chalet, Deadly Waters. All crime fiction but what I would call easy reads.

Have you read Blood Orange. I loved it so much. Wasnt as keen on the authors second one, think it was called 'The Lies We Tell'

Reactions: 5

I really enjoyed sometimes I lie by Alice Feeney and the Holiday by T.M Logan

I’ve recently read One By One - Ruth Ware and No Exit - Taylor Adams and enjoyed both of them!☺

I love the books by Sebatian Fitzek, but I don’t know if they are translated into English. And I also really liked the silent patient by Alex Michaelides

Du Maurier has a very distinct style and I can see it’s not everyone’s taste. I don’t think it matters if you don’t like the characters - Max is a pompous arse and the heroine is a mixture of humility and ego. The dominant and fascinating character is Rebecca, a brilliant anti-heroine who dominates the book. Sally Beauman wrote a novel exploring Rebecca’s point of view which was very well done.

If you really don’t like i wouldn’t force yourself - life’s too short!
Rebecca is one of my favourites. I do agree the characters are unlikeable but that makes it more interesting to me. I don't think I like any of Du Maurier's characters really but love her books.

Someone bought me Sally Beauman's book for my birthday last month so pleased to see you liked it! Haven't read it yet.

I started The Midnight Library last night and just finished it now. I really enjoyed it (evidenced by the fact I’ve picked it up at every opportunity today) but it did start to feel a little repetitive. I’d give it a 4.5 out of 5! I absolutely adored the volcano analogy and if I took anything away from the book it was that!

I enjoy Matt Haig’s writing as it’s quite easy to read despite some heavy topics but I will always prefer his non-fiction. I’m very excited that he has a new reflections book coming in July called Comfort. Shall be pre-ordering that one!

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.