Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I was thinking about buying a kindle, (I know I only joined this thread about 2 days ago, but it’s lockdown so I’m gonna put my purchases under the self care category 🤪)

I’m trying to google though, I’m thinking maybe I’m better off seeing if they release a new version this year like most of the internet seems to be expecting? It appears that the last one was released in 2019? But I don’t know if that is outdated news or not? Anyone a kindle pro that can advise? 😂

I'm waiting to see the new version. Online it says it will be mid year. We may have read the same link.
Bigger screen, colour screen, adjustable lighting etc. That's what people are hoping for.

Get the kindle app for now @potatowaffles it's basically the same.
Sometimes I turn my notifications off on my phone so it doesn't disturb or distract from my reading.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm waiting to see the new version. Online it says it will be mid year. We may have read the same link.
Bigger screen, colour screen, adjustable lighting etc. That's what people are hoping for.

Sometimes I turn my notifications off on my phone so it doesn't disturb or distract from my reading.
Yes we must have read the same!!

Thank you for the tip 😊 I feel like such a wee noob to the book world, you guys are fantastic ❤

• Heart

Why have I never thought to turn off notifications?! The amount of times I’ve been distracted by pointless group chat notifications and then falling down rabbit holes needlessly. You’re a genius!!

• Heart
Why have I never thought to turn off notifications?! The amount of times I’ve been distracted by pointless group chat notifications and then falling down rabbit holes needlessly. You’re a genius!!
Stick on airplane mode. One switch and you’re done 🤜🤛

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I finished The Choice yesterday. It was an easy read and I enjoyed it. It was a little 'dystopia by numbers' so it was fairly easy to see where it was going but that's fine!

Reactions: 1
Will be starting Mhairi McFarlane’s Last Night later today,
Looks like an enjoyable read for the weekend! 😌

I’m 10% into The Aftermath and it’s not gripped me yet. I know it’s early doors with it but ideally something should have happened to pull me in by now to make me want to read on. I’ll keep going and hope it gets more riveting.

I've just started reading Children of the New World by Alexander Weinstein. It's been sat on my shelf for a good few years now, I don't know why I'd not read it before now. It's a collection of science fiction short stories, very Black Mirror-esque. I've read 5 of the 13 stories so far, they explore our relationships with technology and what the future could look like.

If you generally like dystopian fiction, or enjoyed Black Mirror, Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams or Humans on TV, I'd recommend so far!

Almost finished the flat share. And got to say I love it 🥺 and I don’t want to finish it

So I was thinking about buying a kindle, (I know I only joined this thread about 2 days ago, but it’s lockdown so I’m gonna put my purchases under the self care category 🤪)

I’m trying to google though, I’m thinking maybe I’m better off seeing if they release a new version this year like most of the internet seems to be expecting? It appears that the last one was released in 2019? But I don’t know if that is outdated news or not? Anyone a kindle pro that can advise? 😂
Do you have an iPad ? I used to have a kindle but I prefer it soo much better on my iPad not sure why

• Heart
Almost finished the flat share. And got to say I love it 🥺 and I don’t want to finish it

Do you have an iPad ? I used to have a kindle but I prefer it soo much better on my iPad not sure why
Oooh my boyfriend does, maybe I can see if I can nab it off him 🤪. Thank you so much for the tip!

• Heart
Finally finished People Like Her! It was wild wasnt it? Does make you wonder about all the flustered Instamums and how much of it is real.

About to start Daisy Jones & The Six.

After spending a whole year or what felt like it last year scrolling aimlessly I told myself I would do less scrolling and more books. Set myself a Good Reads challenge of 24. 1 audio and 1 actual book per month. Finishing People Like Her was my 14th book this year so I may need to increase my target especially with summer coming and lots of days in the garden.

For anyone considering a kindle, do it!! I got my first kindle, Christmas 2009 was the one with the keyboard along the bottom. The first book I ever bought on it was Jo Nesbo - The Snowman. I then upgraded to the smaller non keyboard one and then to the paperwhite. I find it so easy to pick up and put down. I love that even if I dont finish a chapter it keeps your space. Its so easy to read in bed as its so light. Great in the sunshine.

It also syncs so well with the app so if I ever find myself woth a bit of extra time at school pick up or even on my break at work and I dont have my kindle I can just pick it up on the app.

I will be honest long term on the ipad/phone isnt for me, the kindle is much nicer on the eyes.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The Whispers by Heidi Perks is on a limited time offer on kindle. 99p!

Reactions: 3
Will be starting Mhairi McFarlane’s Last Night later today,
Looks like an enjoyable read for the weekend! 😌
Oo excited to hear how you find it, the reviews are positive. I really enjoyed most of her previous books.

• Heart
Finally finished People Like Her! It was wild wasnt it? Does make you wonder about all the flustered Instamums and how much of it is real.

About to start Daisy Jones & The Six.

After spending a whole year or what felt like it last year scrolling aimlessly I told myself I would do less scrolling and more books. Set myself a Good Reads challenge of 24. 1 audio and 1 actual book per month. Finishing People Like Her was my 14th book this year so I may need to increase my target especially with summer coming and lots of days in the garden.

For anyone considering a kindle, do it!! I got my first kindle, Christmas 2009 was the one with the keyboard along the bottom. The first book I ever bought on it was Jo Nesbo - The Snowman. I then upgraded to the smaller non keyboard one and then to the paperwhite. I find it so easy to pick up and put down. I love that even if I dont finish a chapter it keeps your space. Its so easy to read in bed as its so light. Great in the sunshine.

It also syncs so well with the app so if I ever find myself woth a bit of extra time at school pick up or even on my break at work and I dont have my kindle I can just pick it up on the app.

I will be honest long term on the ipad/phone isnt for me, the kindle is much nicer on the eyes.
I loved Daisy Jones and the Six. Hope you like it.

Just finished The Midnight Library. I really wanted to like it, but just didn't find it as good as all the critics have said it is. A bit underwhelming IMO. Has anyone else read it?
I’m reading it at the minute, I’m just under half way through and I’m really enjoying it so far. However I started it with low expectations as I thought it had been so over hyped in the media etc.

I've just downloaded

Win by Harlan Coben

Trust Me by T. M. Logan

Both sound so good I can't wait to read them!

Currently reading 'The Other passenger by Louise Candlish'
I’ve just finished Win by Harlen Coben and thought it was fantastic - so great to get to find out more about Win as he’s mentioned in some of Harlen Coben’s other books.

I’m reading it at the minute, I’m just under half way through and I’m really enjoying it so far. However I started it with low expectations as I thought it had been so over hyped in the media etc.

I’ve just finished Win by Harlen Coben and thought it was fantastic - so great to get to find out more about Win as he’s mentioned in some of Harlen Coben’s other books.
Ohh I'm glad to hear Win was fantastic!! Its on my want to read list but it's kinda expensive and I'm too impatient for the library to get it

I picked up The Twins of Auschwitz yesterday, has anyone read it yet?

I've finished Skin by Liam Brown which I downloaded for 99p. I would give this 3.5/5. Interesting story, very realistic and easy to imagine. I kept forgetting this was based in the UK. My imagination kept slipping to this being an american home etc until I saw "mum" or Centre". I didn't like a couple of the characters in the book and I felt the ending wasn't particularly satisfying and easy to guess.

Starting The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah tonight. Been meaning to read this for a long time.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.