Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I finished Ninth House - Leigh Bardugo the other day and still don’t know how I feel about it. I enjoyed it but can’t help feeling underwhelmed by the ending! If anyone else has read this let me know your thoughts!

Started Such a Fun Age - Kiley Reid this morning and I’m almost done. Really enjoying it so far!

Reactions: 1
Omg I love our little community!!!!! 😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰
I'm a sad duck 🤣

I’ve never read as much before as I do now that I use the Kindle app on my phone. Instead of mindlessly scrolling through social media or the news etc, I make sure I open the Kindle app instead. It fills in all those random pockets of time - waiting for the kettle to boil, on the loo, while my son settles to sleep (thank god for dark mode!) etc. I only read a handful of books last year but this I’m part way through my 15th all thanks to the Kindle app.
people never understand how I can read on my phone, but I do most of my reading on my phone 🙈
it’s so handy, it’s like having a book on you 24/7, it’s the main reason I invested in a larger screen.

I quite like liane moriarty’s books, but her earlier ones are better than her later ones, I think everyone knows big little lies and the husbands secret but I really liked what Alice forgot.

Jane Fallon is an easy read as well I find, again neither are going to win any awards any time soon 😬 but her older books are good!

Reactions: 11
Omg I love our little community!!!!! 😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰
I'm a sad duck 🤣

people never understand how I can read on my phone, but I do most of my reading on my phone 🙈
it’s so handy, it’s like having a book on you 24/7, it’s the main reason I invested in a larger screen.
This has become my favourite thread on here!!

I feel so bad for the books I have sat unread on my shelves that people have given as gifts. I really do want to read them but reading on my phone is just a million times easier. Especially for just grabbing a few minutes in the random times while my son plays quietly or my husband entertains him for a bit. A physical book would just get in the way and would no doubt end up ripped or with something spilled on.

Reactions: 5
This has become my favourite thread on here!!

I feel so bad for the books I have sat unread on my shelves that people have given as gifts. I really do want to read them but reading on my phone is just a million times easier. Especially for just grabbing a few minutes in the random times while my son plays quietly or my husband entertains him for a bit. A physical book would just get in the way and would no doubt end up ripped or with something spilled on.
once you get used to it it’s brilliant!!!! I see my phone as a book now 😆

Reactions: 3
Hey, I’m new to this community but love reading your suggestions. I’m hoping it gives me the kick up the arse to start reading again 😂.

I’m one of those classic “haven’t finished a book since primary school” type folk and even then when I did my papers/exams I wrote them about books I’d not read past the first couple pages 😂.

Anyway, I’m finally embarking on my reading journey. I’m starting off with some best sellers, so I’ve got the “tattooist of auschwitz” (super late to the party, I know you’re probably all tired of hearing about it 🤪) which I’m currently reading through and “the midnight library”, “the real silent witnesses” and “cilka’s journey” on my up next ❤

Reactions: 5
Hey, I’m new to this community but love reading your suggestions. I’m hoping it gives me the kick up the arse to start reading again 😂.

I’m one of those classic “haven’t finished a book since primary school” type folk and even then when I did my papers/exams I wrote them about books I’d not read past the first couple pages 😂.

Anyway, I’m finally embarking on my reading journey. I’m starting off with some best sellers, so I’ve got the “tattooist of auschwitz” (super late to the party, I know you’re probably all tired of hearing about it 🤪) which I’m currently reading through and “the midnight library”, “the real silent witnesses” and “cilka’s journey” on my up next ❤
Love the tattooist and love Cilka’s Journey even more! Enjoy 🤩🤩🤩

• Heart
Can anyone recommend some thrillers? Some I’ve liked so far this year are The Guest List and Then She Was Gone.

I’ve tried Into the Water but can’t get into it, there’s so many different POV’s.
I would really recommend the Dark Iceland series of books by Ragnar Jonasson. They are police detective/murder mystery books but really easy to read. The setting of the books really adds to the atmosphere and tension.

Same don’t like spending over a fiver on kindle books (I’m so cheap 😂)
Haha me too. I binge at the beginning of the month on the monthly deals 😂

edited to add its 99p on audible but I’m a reader lol so I’ll wait.

Last edited:
I can't remember how but I found a book this afternoon which sounded good. I like dystopian genre so I downloaded it for £2.99 on kindle and read the first couple of chapters around 3pm. I was hooked! I have never read a book in one sitting but this is as close as I have been. I stopped to dish up dinner in the slow cooker and put my son to bed. As soon as I was done I went straight back to it!

Last one at the party - Bethany Clift 4 stars out of 5 from me.

It is about a new virus that kills people within 6 days in a few years from now (post-covid) but somehow one woman survives. Some parts because predictable and I could guess the next twist. At times I was thinking why is she doing this, surely XYZ is a better idea? But I really liked it. I found it easy to get into and very enjoyable. Ending has left me a bit like huh but that is probably because of the time!

Currently reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, I'm about halfway through and want to keep reading until I'm finished 🤦‍♀️

I'm surprised about the comments about Rebecca snd the characters being unlikeable, I adore the book and love Maxim and the second Mrs DeWinter. If you want a laugh (and have read the book/seen the Hitchcock file) watch on YouTube Mitchell and Webb's Rebecca skits. If you want horrible characters try Wuthering Heights which I slogged through hoping it would get better. I'll take the song over the book.

Has anyone read Sister by Rosamud Lupton, I read it a few years ago and remember loving it at the time.

Perfume is a beautifully written book (although not to everyone's taste). I think The Handmaid's Tale is fantastic (The Testaments is on my TBR pile).

I love Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre and Little Women, they are books I reread once in a while and it's like being wrapped in a cozy blanket.

I love a good crime book, anyone read Camilla Lackberg or Jo Nesbo?

Currently reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, I'm about halfway through and want to keep reading until I'm finished 🤦‍♀️

I'm surprised about the comments about Rebecca snd the characters being unlikeable, I adore the book and love Maxim and the second Mrs DeWinter. If you want a laugh (and have read the book/seen the Hitchcock file) watch on YouTube Mitchell and Webb's Rebecca skits. If you want horrible characters try Wuthering Heights which I slogged through hoping it would get better. I'll take the song over the book.

Has anyone read Sister by Rosamud Lupton, I read it a few years ago and remember loving it at the time.

Perfume is a beautifully written book (although not to everyone's taste). I think The Handmaid's Tale is fantastic (The Testaments is on my TBR pile).

I love Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre and Little Women, they are books I reread once in a while and it's like being wrapped in a cozy blanket.

I love a good crime book, anyone read Camilla Lackberg or Jo Nesbo?
Love the Handmaids Tale, didn't really enjoy The Testaments but then I've stopped enjoying The Handmaids Tale on TV too now (although thats a completely different storyline)

So I've nearly finished the Claire Macintosh book After the End. For me it's definitely a book of 2 halves, it's almost like she finished what she wanted to write and then her editor told her she needed more. I do have a few more pages to read so maybe there is some amazing plot twist at the end but it won't change my opinion that the last half of the book is a bit crap.

Reactions: 2
I finished Ninth House - Leigh Bardugo the other day and still don’t know how I feel about it. I enjoyed it but can’t help feeling underwhelmed by the ending! If anyone else has read this let me know your thoughts!

Started Such a Fun Age - Kiley Reid this morning and I’m almost done. Really enjoying it so far!
I finished Such A Fun Age yesterday, I loved it! Emira's friendship group were amazing and I loved her relationship with Briar.

I'm reading a book called When We Were Friends now but the writing style doesn't feel great to me. Lots of telling you what people are like instead of letting you find out through interactions etc.

I’m currently reading the Bridgerton books after watching the series 😋
An author I love is Tim Weaver. I’ve preordered his next book which is out in a few weeks! Really good crime/psychological thriller stories.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.