Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It probably says something about my character that my favourite character in Rebecca was Rebecca herself although I also loved Beatrice and Giles and Frank Crawley! Loved Wuthering Heights too but only on a second reading.

Glad you mentioned Perfume - what an incredible book. It’s so unlike anything I’ve ever read.

Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton was a favourite last year so I’m going to check out Sister - thanks.

Love Jo Nesbo. Have you read the Dragon Tattoo trilogy?
Loved Macbeth by Nesbo, also loved the Dragon tattoo books, I didn’t hate the continuations but they’re not as good obviously!
I work in a library too 😂

Reactions: 1
BorrowBox sometimes do campaign titles which allow unlimited simultaneous use. We (I manage libraries) usually buy some each month but they do cost a lot more. Both BorrowBox and Overdrive have great content, no reservation charges, no fines etc and very easy to use. (#AD for libraries ha ha)
Libraries are still a very underused resource though, use it or lose it. My library have been brilliant, I reserve a book then go to the Library to pick it up, they also do ready reads so they look at your account and then choose books they think you'll enjoy.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Has anyone read the woman in the window, just finished it, apparently going to be made into a film

I’ve just added all those (and the ones mentioned by silkytoes to my list - they all sound right up my street. Love that a couple are 99p too. There’s some fascinating concepts in that list and I can’t wait to get started!!

I’m the same - I treat myself to The Midnight Library the other day for £4.99 (more than I’ve spent on a kindle book in absolutely ages) and when I finished it in less than 24 hours it felt like such a waste of money despite enjoying it all! At least when a books free you can read it as quick as you like and you’ve not wasted a penny.
return it 🤐 full refund. I think it might be 7 days now, it used to be 14.

I am not sure if I enjoyed The Seven Deaths, I couldn't put it down and read it in one day but I dunno. I kept getting confused and having to get it 'straight' in my head though! Have you read the other one by the same author I think it was called The Devil and the Sea - that one I loved! (And also read in one day)

I finished the new Stephen King last week and have not yet found anything I fancy reading yet, although i have an insane TBR list. I might go for a Poirot.

I didn't like The Midnight Library. I didn't even finish it, got about half way and then skimmed the rest.
that’s why I’d return it 😂 it’s not something I do all the time but if I’ve paid a lot for a book and it’s then been reduced I do under “found a better price elsewhere” (not a lie)
Or just simply “I didn’t like it” 🤷‍♀️

The Midnight Library hurt my brain to read, I couldn't separate Matt's online presence and voice from the book in front of me. I don't understand the hype surrounding it at all.

I'm a longtime lurker on the book threads, always looking for recommendations. Really missing being able to go and browse in an actual book shop/library at the moment. I am about a quarter of the way through Little Disasters by Sarah Vaughan at the moment, enjoying it so far but her other book let me down at the end so I am hoping this is better.

return it 🤐 full refund. I think it might be 7 days now, it used to be 14.

that’s why I’d return it 😂 it’s not something I do all the time but if I’ve paid a lot for a book and it’s then been reduced I do under “found a better price elsewhere” (not a lie)
Or just simply “I didn’t like it” 🤷‍♀️
I can’t even find the option to do it! I’ve done it for books I’ve not enjoyed or were just utter rubbish in the past - it feels like a little protest to the author for writing something I didn’t like. But I can’t find the button today. Only bought it on the 27th too. Hmmm... maybe it’s the universe telling me not to.

Currently reading The Arrangement after @Katykatykaty’s recommendation and really enjoying it, about 60% through.

Also just received voicemail from my local library that American Dirt is ready for me to collect now 🎉🎉

Reactions: 2
Currently reading The Arrangement after @Katykatykaty’s recommendation and really enjoying it, about 60% through.

Also just received voicemail from my local library that American Dirt is ready for me to collect now 🎉🎉
Hope you continue to enjoy The Arrangement. I really enjoyed how it just drops enough information to keep you guessing until the next drop. Quite simple but yet quite clever!

Reactions: 2
I love books by Amanda Robson. I think they would be classified as " domestic noir" was excited to see i can preorder her latest..there's good ones coming up by some of my faves, Tasmina Perry, Tammy Cohen. Must be for holiday reading :(

What a great thread. I am a writer myself but while I am writing I don't read through fear of unconscious plagiarism. So now my latest manuscript is off to the publisher I am excited to read some of the suggestions on here.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Just finished American dirt, the latter half I got through in less than 24 hours 😱 thought it was fantastic. I've bought a few things on my kindle the last few weeks so will have a peruse for my next read later.

I worked out earlier that I've read 10 books since Christmas! May not be a lot to some people but that's loads to me, I'm so happy to have reignited my passion for reading ☺ I think this thread may have had something to do with it!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Finished Little Disasters - felt it was drawn out a little too much and the characters could have been more nuanced but overall, enjoyed it. Just downloaded The Arrangement thanks to recommendations here (thanks @Katykatykaty and @Regina George) so excited to get stuck in this evening. Best thread ever! 🥰

Reactions: 4
I've just finished reading The Taken Girls by GD Sanders and it was tripe. That's 2 rubbish books in a row 😢. I'm going through my TBR pile and am now starting The Perfect Child by Lucinda Berry, really hoping it's a good one.

Hey, I’m new to this community but love reading your suggestions. I’m hoping it gives me the kick up the arse to start reading again 😂.

I’m one of those classic “haven’t finished a book since primary school” type folk and even then when I did my papers/exams I wrote them about books I’d not read past the first couple pages 😂.

Anyway, I’m finally embarking on my reading journey. I’m starting off with some best sellers, so I’ve got the “tattooist of auschwitz” (super late to the party, I know you’re probably all tired of hearing about it 🤪) which I’m currently reading through and “the midnight library”, “the real silent witnesses” and “cilka’s journey” on my up next ❤
In case anyone was interested to know the update of my reading journey, I just finished the tattooist. I think it was the perfect read to get me back into loving books again. I held it together until I read the forward by lale’s son and reading about their funerals.. I cried like a wee baby honestly.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
In case anyone was interested to know the update of my reading journey, I just finished the tattooist. I think it was the perfect read to get me back into loving books again. I held it together until I read the forward by lale’s son and reading about their funerals.. I cried like a wee baby honestly.
Glad you finished and that it touched you! I finished it on a plane just before landing and my husband thought I was emotional because we were arriving in New York!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I'm reading so much lately and i'm buying them either brand new or used on amazon, in Tesco or Asda and i seem to be spending a lot of money! I've never used a Kindle before, but i'm beginning to think it might be cheaper for me to read on. Does it take awhile getting used to reading from it than an actual book? I've got an new IPAD can I read Kindle books for free on that?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.