Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I prefer reading books to kindle but it is a pain the price difference! I get a lot of my books 2nd hand, Oxfam seem to always have a good selection in.

My kindle when I do use it is so ancient, 2nd hand from my mum, it's the one where the screen isn't a light up one if that makes sense? Which I like as it's easier to wind down at night with and less intense on my eyes. I think I'll start getting kindle books from the library as I don't like to shop at amazon.

I've just finished Haven't they grown by Sophie Hannah - Now i've finished it I can say it's total crap, but I enjoyed reading 90% of it until the ending which was a massive let down.

Another book I've read recently that I picked up in Tesco on a whim is 'If I can't have you by' Charlotte Levin. Really enjoyed this one - it's kind of a mixture between The Girl on the Train and Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine.
Yeah I was super intrigued by the plot of Haven’t They Grown but the climax is very melodramatic.

Reactions: 1
I prefer reading books to kindle but it is a pain the price difference! I get a lot of my books 2nd hand, Oxfam seem to always have a good selection in.

My kindle when I do use it is so ancient, 2nd hand from my mum, it's the one where the screen isn't a light up one if that makes sense? Which I like as it's easier to wind down at night with and less intense on my eyes. I think I'll start getting kindle books from the library as I don't like to shop at amazon.
I may be wrong but certainly in the UK, Amazon doesn’t support you downloading library books onto a kindle, unless it’s a kindle Fire. If I’m wrong I’m sure someone will correct me.

someone recommended borrowbox. Think you can download library books from there and apparently newspapers. Haven't tried it yet though

Reactions: 3
I may be wrong but certainly in the UK, Amazon doesn’t support you downloading library books onto a kindle, unless it’s a kindle Fire. If I’m wrong I’m sure someone will correct me.
You're right. Kindle uses a protected format (.mobi)

Most libraries use borrowbox or lobby which are apps for your phone or tablet (including kindle fire) but you can't get them on a kindle e-reader

I've finished people like her - I'd give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I felt like it was incredibly relevant to tattle. I got very excited when they mentioned tattle by name. I am 100% sure the author is one of us 😂 😂 Well worth £1.99 for it.
This was book 17 for the year! I can't believe how much more I've read thanks to this thread and my kindle. It seems easier to pick my kindle up compared to a paperback...

On the note of library kindle - it is a shame that UK kindle's are unable to download library books. I know US libraries can.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I bought people like her the other day. Still going through 'when we believed in mermaids' on the kindle.

Started County Lines on Audible. Its very interesting and also :eek: as a parent.

I've finished people like her - I'd give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I felt like it was incredibly relevant to tattle. I got very excited when they mentioned tattle by name. I am 100% sure the author is one of us 😂 😂 Well worth £1.99 for it.
This was book 17 for the year! I can't believe how much more I've read thanks to this thread and my kindle. It seems easier to pick my kindle up compared to a paperback...

On the note of library kindle - it is a shame that UK kindle's are unable to download library books. I know US libraries can.
I just finished it too. The author describes all of the annoying things influencers do very well. Wonder if she spent much time here for research 😂

Reactions: 4
Just finished People Like Her. Really enjoyed it and think it’s a TRAVESTY it wasn’t picked for Tattle Book Club - so much possibility for discussion!

Does anyone else obsessively read the acknowledgments at the end of a book? If it’s one I really enjoyed, they can even make me a bit tearful. I know, I need to get a life! Anyway, fascinated to read that People Like Her is written by a husband and wife duo under a pseudonym! Not sure I’ve ever read a co-written novel before.

Reactions: 6
Hope this is okay to ask - For those who read People Like Her - Did you have any particular influencer you imagined when reading? I was getting Hinch vibes mixed with mother of daughters.

Reactions: 2
Just finished People Like Her. Really enjoyed it and think it’s a TRAVESTY it wasn’t picked for Tattle Book Club - so much possibility for discussion!

Does anyone else obsessively read the acknowledgments at the end of a book? If it’s one I really enjoyed, they can even make me a bit tearful. I know, I need to get a life! Anyway, fascinated to read that People Like Her is written by a husband and wife duo under a pseudonym! Not sure I’ve ever read a co-written novel before.
I love Nicci French books and that’s another husband and wife duo which really works.

Reactions: 2
Has anyone read “they both die at the end” ??? It’s going round on tiktok at the minute and people seem to be loving it. Another one added to my list😅

Has anyone read “they both die at the end” ??? It’s going round on tiktok at the minute and people seem to be loving it. Another one added to my list😅
I’m assuming this is the young adult one by Adam Silvera? It’s okay-ish. The concept is flawed and you obviously know what’s gonna happen. Very very insta-love. Intense love in hours type thing. I personally wouldn’t recommend other than to teenagers (which is obviously the target audience but I know some older readers like myself do read YA)

I just finished People Like Her as it was being mentioned all over this thread. I really liked it. The main character Emmy was so dislikeable; narcissistic, used her children and friends as props for her social media channel and had a warped morality.

Reactions: 5
I just finished People Like Her as it was being mentioned all over this thread. I really liked it. The main character Emmy was so dislikeable; narcissistic, used her children and friends as props for her social media channel and had a warped morality.
I was so surprised by the ending, I did not think it would end that way.

Have you read any from Rachel Abbott? I love her books and read all the Tom Douglas series through kindle unlimited. They have books 1 to 3 in one bundle and 4 to 6 in another so that may just count as 2 loans? Shari Low's books are witty and entertaining.

D. S. Butler, Carol Wyer, Carla Kovach and Diane Chamberlain are other authors I really enjoy.

Finished People Like Her last night and despite having a C. L. Taylor book lined up, and a huge TBR pile, I'm combing Amazon for new reads.
Thank you so much, going to look into all of these!

Loving this thread (only part way through so need to catch up). It has been years since I was an avid reader which is a shame as I used to really enjoy it but starting to get back into it and find it so relaxing.

Read a couple over the last week.

Jane Corry - I looked away. Thought it was ok, not the best I have read but good enough to keep me going until the end.

Stuart Neville - Those we left behind. Again enough to keep me interested but dont think I will read anymore in that series.

I am mostly into crime fiction and true crime but also like the odd chick lit too.

Really hoping I can get back to reading regular it really does help me relax and always makes me nod off at night too.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.