Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I just love how passionate you guys are about your love/hate of normal people ahahah and the discussions my post triggered!. I’ll put it on my to read next so I can join in next time 😉
love that about this thread, we don’t agree on everything but there’s never going to be any drama about being “right” or “wrong” 😌

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Regina George

VIP Member
First time posting on this thread but I love it and have written down so many of your suggestions!

I’ve just finished Behind Closed Doors by B A Paris - absolutely loved it.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
My granny used to buy me an Enid Blyton book every Friday night and on Saturday I would lie in bed drinking a minestrone cup a soup for breakfast and reading my new book. I still have them all and one of my daughters read them all too.
OH MY HEART!!!!

the enchanted wood, the wishing chair 😍😍 god I ADORED these books and they for sure got me into reading from young.

• Heart

Marylou

VIP Member
I read Every Missing Thing last night and, although I didn't enjoy the writing at first and was ready to cast it aside, I persevered and thought it was brilliant. Such a plot twist and the term "poetic justice" sprang to mind at the end. Sometimes it really is worth ploughing through and I think setting aside time to read, rather than picking it up occasionally, really helped.

On the subject of overrated authors, John Marr is another that I don't rate. I read just one of his books and still regret the time I wasted. Other hyped up and popular books also fall flat for me. The Hearts Invisible Furies bored me, Behind Closed Doors and The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes were another 2 that I didn't enjoy.

I've become very adventurous with my reading choices since getting a Kindle and now rarely read an actual book. Kindle unlimited introduced me to Mark Edwards, Rachel Abbott, Helen Fields, Carla Kovach and so many others that I now enjoy. I love reading, it's the best gift my mother ever gave me when she bought me an Enid Blyton book as a child which started my passion.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9

Gamu

VIP Member
I'm reading so much lately and i'm buying them either brand new or used on amazon, in Tesco or Asda and i seem to be spending a lot of money! I've never used a Kindle before, but i'm beginning to think it might be cheaper for me to read on. Does it take awhile getting used to reading from it than an actual book? I've got an new IPAD can I read Kindle books for free on that?
I was a bit iffy about a Kindle and thought I'd prefer a physical book but omg I wouldn't be without it. It's fab to read from, choose different fonts etc. A lot of books go on sale for 99p there's loads of free and v cheap reads and the joy of reading about a a book and having it seconds later. Instant gratification. So a book in Tesco may be 3.99 but 99p on Kindle. You can use app on a phone too. And when u go on holiday no books to pack just a device.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I only like real books, could never read on a kindle.
I only like real books, could never read on a kindle.
oh I’d never read on a device that’s so weird, I need a physical book, you cant beat the smell of a real book.

i mean,
it doesn’t look that bad,
feels a bit weird 🙈 oh not that weird actually....

omg 😳 why did I wait this long 🙈🙈🙈

it’s totally ok to love physical books but see how practical it is to use a kindle, I enjoy walking but when it makes me sense for me to use the car I enjoy using the car 😅

• Haha
  • Heart

Tit4Tattle

Chatty Member
I’m the same I add loads to my wish list then wait for them to come down in price!

And then I’m fuming when I’ve paid more than 99p and they come down In price!

• Haha

Libertine1975

VIP Member
I think I read one book last year (I worked all through lockdown and barely took any annual leave). I've targeted myself to read 52 books this year (one a week) and I've read 11 so far and am about 10% through next one.

I should have read about 13 books by now really but I'm happy with how well I'm getting on. I'm part of a book club at work which is helping me read things I wouldn't usually chose to read and I've just subscribed to a box of stories which I'm hoping will male me read more widely too.

I've downloaded a load of 99p books onto my Kindle based on recommendations from here - you guys aren't good for my bank balance!

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Don’t do it 😩😩😩

did it. 🤦‍♀️
downloaded........ Last one at the party.
You’re all such a bad influence 😕

• Haha
  • Heart

Puddlesandpuddings

Well I was very determined to get the books on my Kindle down, but no!
People like her downloaded and to the top of the list! Sorry books that have been patiently waiting to be read for the last 4 years😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8

Geranium

VIP Member
This thread is so bad for my bank account haha but I love all the recommendations and probably wouldn't have read most of the books if it wasn't for here ❤
Same here. I can’t wait to see what everyone is reading and I like how people are so nice and respectful of other’s opinions.

jarv

VIP Member
I started last one at the party last night 😱 it's freaking me out! I'm about 15% of the way in, I really didn't want to stop reading but it is also just so... I don't even know the word! Not scary but I definitely couldn't get to sleep for a bit because it was on my mind. Safe to say I'll finish this one much quicker than the flight attendant 😂

• Wow
  • Heart

Geranium

VIP Member
Sunday discussion,

what storyline has been done to death?

for me
- inherits a crumbling mansion/town house/cottage/farm/hotel in the countryside that comes complete with a handsome angry neighbour and dog.

- woman runs away from recent heartbreak and falls in love with the vicar.
Right, woman of a certain age who is still of course slim, attractive and charming. Her adored but usually unpleasant spoilt children have flown the nest. There might be an elderly and quaint mother, but certainly a zany and quirky best friend. Adored husband either dies or more usually dumps her. She’s in the depths of despair when zany friend suddenly says “but Margot, you’re a wonderful cook/artist/interior designer “ and hey presto she starts a hugely successful business. In the course of which she meets incredibly sexy, handsome, rich younger guy who totally falls for her while she’s doing up a quaint and charming cottage to live in after hubby forced sale of the family home. By the end of the book she’s a successful businesswoman with a fab new guy, husband wants to come back if he hadn’t died at the start, but she won’t have him back.

• Haha

Marylou

VIP Member
Does anyone use Kindle unlimited? Is it worth it compared to prime reading? I've found loads of books on Prime reading I wouldn't have brought but enjoyed.
I've used it in the past, when there's an offer, and it took me out of my comfort zone with books. A tip for those currently using it, download as many books as you like, keep your Kindle in Aeroplane mode when tour trial ends and they'll stay in your library until you reconnect and Amazon take them back.

I've gone for The Missing Wife by Sheila O Flanagan for a change to my usual suspense /thriller reads. It's been on my TBR pile too long and it's quite good. Not chick lit and the story is quite sad but uplifting at the same time.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Geranium

VIP Member
I think I’m going to go for one of the light hearted easier reads as currently my life is full of thriller type books, Line of Duty, Unforgotten and Marcella... so all a bit murdery really 😂 could do with a bit more balance!
So could I ! Was walking the dog today, he disappeared into the bushes and started barking and I thought “oh my god, he’s found a body!”.

• Haha

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Just finished The Midnight Library. I really wanted to like it, but just didn't find it as good as all the critics have said it is. A bit underwhelming IMO. Has anyone else read it?
I wasn’t a fan 🙈 but personally I just don’t really like him and I don’t think he’s a good fit for fiction, so maybe I’m not the best to judge 🙈🙈

half way through the arrangements ☺ I need an Easter weekend book now 😩

I get such new book choice anxiety 😂

Booklover

VIP Member
love that about this thread, we don’t agree on everything but there’s never going to be any drama about being “right” or “wrong” 😌
Exactly! This is one of my fave threads on here. No blocking or deleting here if we have different opinions eh! :ROFLMAO: 😘

• Haha

EENER159

Chatty Member
Hello NEW friends, I LOVE reading, but due to a work related accident, my eyesight is not at its best. I am into the Audiobooks now, and i have fallen in love with this version of reading. I do not subscribe to audiobook, good reads, or any other paid subscriptions. I have access from the library to download books. I have just stumbled onto this forum and i am so thankful. I am adding new listens as they are available to my small town library. THANKS for all the selections..

• Heart