Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Lucy Aeroplane

VIP Member
Trans rights have the same impact on women's rights that feminism did on men's rights. Giving rights to one group does not inherently mean taking it away from others.

So far, I haven't identified any proposed policies which would have a tangible impact on my rights as a woman or my way of living.
Genuinely glad for you that you have a good enough life to not think about needing single-sex provision in prisons and refuges. Please do spare a moment to think about women with more precarious or unstable lives who aren’t as fortunate as you though. They’re vulnerable for so many reasons already. They don’t deserve to be trapped in places with trans-identifying male sex offenders whose targets are female, who then can and do assault them. And if you don’t know that’s already happening, you might want to broaden your knowledge base a bit.

And if you don’t have a ten year old daughter you might not happen to think about her right not to be violated in a women’s toilet by Katie Dolatowski either. But spare a moment to think about the little girl who had that right taken away from her and who now has to suffer a lifetime of trying to get over an horrific trauma.

It’s not all benign. I used to think like you.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I have gone passed the stage of being angry with this government ... I think I'm just numb now. The incompetence, corruption and arrogance is mind blowing.

Reactions: 14

OatMatchaLatte

VIP Member
But it doesn't impact less than 1% of the population, it affects around 51% of the population - biological women - and has further ramifications for them.

• Heart

Ndrangheta

VIP Member
Jenrick saying they will be able to dish out life in prison for lawyers found to advise refugees in a way the government deems illegal: people don't even get that level of sentencing for murder these days. Deluded.
maybe a life sentence for mp's found to push through dodgy planning applications for their millionaire mates would be a good idea. Jenrick is a crook.

I meant to post last week but WTF at this child who's been elected in Selby and Ainsty?

How do the local businesses, families, OAPs expect this guy who's only ever had one job (which was in politics) to understand and represent them?

Madness, but seems like he got in just because all the usual tory voters didn't turn up as they're disenfranchised by Sunak and co.

I disagree with your view in his age being a disadvantage we need people of all ages and walks of life in politics! He may have more life experience than someone of 60 who has only ever had been to private school followed by Oxford followed by a high paid job! We need to appeal to younger people and get more young people to vote!

Reactions: 13

neroli

VIP Member
Yes he's ridiculously young and baby-faced but maybe he has tonnes of enthusiasm and will be eager to learn a much as possible about his constituents' needs? Rather than going through the motions like a lot of these arrogant and entitled MPs who do very little and just aren't interested in listening to what people actually want?

Onetwofour

VIP Member
People are too docile and glued to their phones to actually do anything about Western decline. I mean, just look at birth-rates in Western society. If people can't be bothered to breed, they sure as hell can't be bothered to rise up and throw off the yoke of waton capitalism. :rolleyes:
In this case you can also say Japan or China are also on decline, as both have low birth-rates. On the opposite trend, the countries with the highest birth rate are not necessarily the most successful. When the birth-rate was high in Europe, it could only be managed because millions of people emigrated. The demographic pressure would have been too strong otherwise.

As for the West in decline, I think the biggest issue is that inequality of wealth have been increasing again since the late 80s. The wealthiest percentage of the western population didn't see a decline - on the opposite, they have amassed more and more wealth. The middle class and the poorest see their living conditions decreasing and fight among themselves for a part of the cake getting smaller and smaller - hence the decrease of birth-rate.

I don't believe in communist utopia but unchecked capitalism without the notion of common society is a disaster and as long people are exclusively focused on themselves we will see our lives fetting worse while a little percentage of people will benefit from it.

CatCafe234

VIP Member
It is so infuriating. My grandfather died in late March 2020 - it was recorded as a ‘viral pneumonia’ and we don’t actually know if he COVID or not. It was right when there were very real discussions in the media about who should not be treated if the NHS was to be overwhelmed, and whether over 60s should be treated and so on. The whole thing was a mess, he was taken to hospital but wasn’t tested because there weren’t enough tests, he was put on a temporary ward with confirmed cases and then he was moved to a stroke ward when he deteriorated and died shortly after. There wasn’t a funeral - luckily my mum knew the local vicar and she offered to do a short service at the graveside, but the guidance at the time was so unclear that nobody knew if the vicar and pallbearers counted as part of the number who could attend, so in the end it was just my mum, her partner and my uncle. The whole thing caused my mum a huge amount of distress - I live some distance away so couldn’t travel, so I was trying to do my best to support her whilst working utterly stupid hours in my civil service job.

I am beyond furious with Boris and all of his cronies. Certainly in my bit of the civil service, we are constantly reminded of the Nolan Principles and to consider how our actions might be perceived by the general public, irrespective of whether what we are doing is ‘allowed’. Everyone involved in this knew what they were doing was wrong, they knew how it would be perceived and they carried on anyway. What’s worse is that so many people have sat on this for years and covered it up. There were email invitations sent out, videos taken and god knows what else yet they’re being dribbled out at strategic moments rather than honestly shared. People get so angry with civil servants and I am genuinely distressed at how this reflects on me - honestly, most of us are trying to do our best in our jobs in spite of the Government, and not because of them.

• Heart

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
That always been my ethos too but in the recent debate about gender identity it doesn't appear to work and I feel to old and unaffected to take a definitive position. From the little I've read it seems one of those intractable issues that doesn't have a 'solution' that everyone will be happy with. It seems largely dominated by people operating on both extremes of the argument but I don't want to go any further than that.

My point is that Starmer knows just how divisive it is as do the Tory supporting media who are constantly trying to trap him with 'gotcha' questions. I don't blame him for doing his best to avoid being caught although based on the views expressed upthread he clearly failed on this issue. See he's recently been put on the spot again although I really don't know if his quotes here are the same or any better than before.

Which always seems to be the case. The extremists seem to have the loudest voices and not just about trans issues. The vast majority of people are somewhere in the middle. We are a country of centrists really.

The only thing I have an issue with is sport and prisons. That doesn't effect me personally as I don't do competitive sport and I have no intention of going to prison. 🤣 However, it made me think about a guy I used to work with (about 15 years ago). He was about 6'1" and well built. Came into work one day in woman's clothing. It made me think that I don't care what she wanted to be called or dressed, I wasn't bothered about toilets etc but if I had to go up against her in a swimming or cycling race I'd be pretty pissed off.

Similar with prisons. I am a firm believer you should be go on trial as the sex you were when you committed the crime and the relevant prison. Stop all this nonsense about rapists deciding they're now a woman. Some of it is such blatant piss taking and needs to be addressed.

I know there is a thread for this but it is relevant. If I was in Scotland I would seriously consider not voting SNP because of their gender policies.

It's not my number one priority at all but it is something I look at.

Last edited:

HelloStereo

VIP Member
Watching the results from the local elections coming in. It's early at the moment but so satisfying seeing swings away from the tories considering how poorly they've run the country for the last 13 years.

neroli

VIP Member
How stupid to film the event..? Sheer arrogance. I don't feel sorry for them at all...One of them has even been awarded an OBE..They deserve all they get which will of course be nothing and they are probably all laughing about it today

Miss polar

VIP Member
It's all culture war bollocks to shore up the Tory vote. They've fucked the country and will continue to do so. Stop the Boats is a great distraction straight out of the Lynton Crosby playbook.

Build the Wall, Lock Her Up etc.
The ‘stop the boats’ shit is the new take back control, get Brexit done all that shit! It’s a ruse to create a culture war and to scapegoat asylum seekers.
They have no return agreements with any European country because of Brexit! They are shameless lying criminals. Most of the Tory part should be behind bars!
I

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12

Moth

VIP Member
Most Inheritance Tax is derived from untaxed capital gains not already taxed income. Anyway isn't VAT a tax on "hard working peoples money that’s already been taxed"?

It's no surprise that in the middle of a cost of living crisis this failing government can find the £7.2 billion required for a policy that will only benefit the 3.7% richest people in the country or that Tory supporters are surprised that everyone doesn't agree. It won't be long before we also hear them whining about how not treating asylum seekers like human garbage is stopping us looking after our own homeless.

Last edited:

liltatling

VIP Member
Screenshot_20230906_235140_Samsung Internet.jpg

🙄
I just don't even have the words anymore.
If only I could get away with being this shit at my jobs.
He's been in this role a week, any moment now, be time for a new one

• Haha
  • Angry

buttheyneverblindme8

Labour gained Dover (my area) for the first time since 2003.

As petty as it may be, I’m bloody overjoyed the Tories are down at least 780 seats as of the time of writing this.

Thirteen whole years of Tory incompetence, austerity, and them literally laughing at us and considering us peasants. Is it any wonder people have had enough?

buttheyneverblindme8

Nadine has finally resigned ... I think it took her so long to resign because she was writing such a withering resignation letter 🤣

I'd personally like to mark her resignation by fondly recalling the historic occasion in which she learned for the very first time that Channel 4 - which she was planning to sell - was publicly-funded. Live on air.

Absolute scenes. ❤

• Haha