UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A government minister (Mark Harper, Transport Secretary) has just made a speech at the Tory Party Conference in which he vowed that Tories will stop "the misuse of 15 minute cities ... what is sinister is the idea of local councils deciding how often you can go to the shops". Not a sinister as a government pedalling ridiculous conspiracy theories in order to attract votes from the hard of thinking.
It's like a bad game of telephone, where did the idea come from that there'd be limits on going to the shops?! Granted, I've tried to ignore the conspiracy so maybe this was always an idea but why would a minister choose to stoke fears when they could sensibly correct people?

I know the answer but it's insane.

Reactions: 8
It's like a bad game of telephone, where did the idea come from that there'd be limits on going to the shops?! Granted, I've tried to ignore the conspiracy so maybe this was always an idea but why would a minister choose to stoke fears when they could sensibly correct people?

I know the answer but it's insane.
I think these conferences are really aimed to please hardcore Tory supporters, like the people who actually turn-up to these events, buy a t-shirt and clap.

Reactions: 4
I think these conferences are really aimed to please hardcore Tory supporters, like the people who actually turn-up to these events, buy a t-shirt and clap.
I doubt any of them will be catching the clap this year - Johnson doesn’t appear to be attending.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Party conferences are always so cringe, even if no-one says anything bizarre or abhorrent or weird. Whatever the party politics they're just a circle jerk.

Reactions: 3
if anything the shops being within 15 mins means i can go more often, no?
Yes but you will only be able to walk around that area!!! Do you want to go outside to another zone? NOT ALLOWED.

This all seems to be because the conspiracy goes that you will need a permit to leave your designated 15 minute city area, and if you don't have that permit there will be all sorts of CCTV tracking you

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Ah, Oxford City Council - the reason the 15 minute conspiracy started - is Labour run. Figures.

Hopefully the council's actual constituents know better and are not swayed by this.

I doubt any of them will be catching the clap this year - Johnson doesn’t appear to be attending.
I just saw Nadine on Channel 4 news all dolled-up. Are we sure he isn't there? She did have a big smile on her face ... ;)
---
Party conferences are always so cringe, even if no-one says anything bizarre or abhorrent or weird. Whatever the party politics they're just a circle jerk.
What happens at Conference, stays at Conference. :cool:

• Haha
Further downright lies and weirdness from Tory Ministers: Clare Coutinho (Minister for Energy Security and Net Zero) claiming that Labour would introduce a 'meat tax' so we must vote Tory to avoid. Caught in the lie by Sophy Ridge she actually tries to justify this lunacy.

Elsewhere it appears that Farage was given a warm welcome to the conference which demonstrates where the Tories are politically and Liz Truss now has 60 MPs supporting her and plenty of members wanting her to replace Sunak which shows where the Tories are mentally.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Until last week, I never believed Lizz Truss could have a comeback in politics. It's like the disaster of last year never happened. She has exactly the same program - no reflection at all since she left but somehow she has a lot of supporters? How?

Reactions: 6
Until last week, I never believed Lizz Truss could have a comeback in politics. It's like the disaster of last year never happened. She has exactly the same program - no reflection at all since she left but somehow she has a lot of supporters? How?
No shame. Some kind of personality disorder? Who knows. I think Steve Bannon (Trumps original advisor) has probably changed modern politics forever insofar as now you can just lie and deny with impunity. Boris of course used this tactic. Frank Luntz (sp?) the US pollster was on tv yesterday suggesting people are so sick of it all turn-out may be very very low ... especially fro conservative-leaning folk.

Just going back to that Barclay quote ... a minister using the term 'wokery' is pretty sad. What the hell does that even mean. :cautious:

No shame. Some kind of personality disorder? Who knows. I think Steve Bannon (Trumps original advisor) has probably changed modern politics forever insofar as now you can just lie and deny with impunity. Boris of course used this tactic. Frank Luntz (sp?) the US pollster was on tv yesterday suggesting people are so sick of it all turn-out may be very very low ... especially fro conservative-leaning folk.

Just going back to that Barclay quote ... a minister using the term 'wokery' is pretty sad. What the hell does that even mean. :cautious:
Im not sure Barclay knows. It seems to be dragged out every time the Tories want to send the gammons into a frenzy.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I'd have been more impressed if he had proposals to resolve the NHS pay disputes, cut the waiting list, repair dangerous hospitals, resolve the NHS dentist crisis .... Of course they won't happen because they can't be used in the culture wars.
There is only one NHS dentist left at the practice I've been using for the last 20 years and I think she is probably going to leave soon. I've been looking around for a private practice and a check-up costs the same (about 40 quid). For a filling not on the NHS at my current practice it is 120quid (it's about half that I think on the NHS). The point is ...soon I will have no choice but to but to 'go private' and pay about 50percent more. (Well, I do have a choice, I can let my teeth go unchecked). :oops: Presumably this is how the main part of the NHS will go eventually.

• Sad
  • Wow
Further downright lies and weirdness from Tory Ministers: Clare Coutinho (Minister for Energy Security and Net Zero) claiming that Labour would introduce a 'meat tax' so we must vote Tory to avoid. Caught in the lie by Sophy Ridge she actually tries to justify this lunacy.

Elsewhere it appears that Farage was given a warm welcome to the conference which demonstrates where the Tories are politically and Liz Truss now has 60 MPs supporting her and plenty of members wanting her to replace Sunak which shows where the Tories are mentally.
Yup.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.