UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i'd rather tit in my hands and clap than have a tory mp, if that means tactically voting for second or third choice then so be it

Reactions: 9
So you would rather have a Tory MP and government?
Where I live there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of a Tory MP. Probably ever.
Obviously I want Labour to win the next election. Unfortunately that still doesn’t mean I feel comfortable voting for them while they are ignoring the genuine concerns about the safety of women and children and pushing for reform of the GRA.

Reactions: 5
So you would rather have a Tory MP and government?
I never said that. I’m not going to vote for a party that I don’t believe in their values. I don’t believe in the Conservatives or the other main ones.

Reactions: 1
I never said that. I’m not going to vote for a party that I don’t believe in their values. I don’t believe in the Conservatives or the other main ones.
That's fine. You can vote for whomever you wish, spoil your ballot paper or simply not vote. However the fact is that in our current system there are only two parties that can form a government. Voting purely on principle risks getting the worst of those two options which IMO is another Tory government. Of course you may not think this is the worst possible option and so are prepared to take the risk.

I've moved to a new area since the last election, one that is staunchly Tory with a (currently) high profile MP. There is only the smallest chance that they will not be elected and the only candidate that might beat them is the Lib Dem. I harbour a lasting grudge against the LDs for propping up the Cameron government that precipitated the mess we're in now but at the next election I'll vote for them simply because that I the only thing I can do to try to avoid the disaster of allowing the Tories to finish the job of wrecking the country for good.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think the whole political system needs an overhaul. Together with the media, politicians just make a laughing stock of the whole system. It seems like decent politicians are wading through treacle if they try to change things.
Not sure what the answer would be, but I have heard people talking about wanting more autonomy and that giving Parish Councils more autonomy would be a good thing. However, having seen their shenanigans on You Tube videos this tends to elicit an immediate eye roll from me
I can see, though, that people are sick of electing someone or a party on various promises only for them to backtrack and do what the electorate don't want.

This government have been in power for almost my entire adult life. Sometimes I forget it wasn't always this awful, and the general mood in the country wasn't always so low.
Thing is that those of us that aren't so young remember all too well that Labour are more than capable of big time bleeping it all up just the same, and there's a reason that apart from Blair, Labour have never had more than two consecutive terms in office. The conservatives tend to manage to go 3 to 5 terms before they fully fall apart like they are now.

There is a huge clamour from young people to vote Labour in, and things will all be magically better, just as there was when Blair got in; and no doubt when it happens there will be parties in the street again, I well remember Blair's victory walk to 10 Downing Street and the atmosphere that day. But those parties won't last long, the handouts come for a while but it doesn't take long for the realisation that the fun needs to be paid for and that's when it gets hard again.

I do think it is probably time now to switch to Labour for a bit, just to remind everyone that they are equally bad and wicked and inept as the Conservatives.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Definitely time for a Labour govt, even a Lab/LibDem one would do me.
Another year to wait though :rolleyes:
Hopefully the SNP will get their butts kicked here in Scotland too.

Reactions: 4
Thing is that those of us that aren't so young remember all too well that Labour are more than capable of big time bleeping it all up just the same, and there's a reason that apart from Blair, Labour have never had more than two consecutive terms in office. The conservatives tend to manage to go 3 to 5 terms before they fully fall apart like they are now.

There is a huge clamour from young people to vote Labour in, and things will all be magically better, just as there was when Blair got in; and no doubt when it happens there will be parties in the street again, I well remember Blair's victory walk to 10 Downing Street and the atmosphere that day. But those parties won't last long, the handouts come for a while but it doesn't take long for the realisation that the fun needs to be paid for and that's when it gets hard again.

I do think it is probably time now to switch to Labour for a bit, just to remind everyone that they are equally bad and wicked and inept as the Conservatives.
Equally bad and wicked as this lot? Come on now 😂

Feels like it's too much to ask for a competent, uncorrupt government that knows what a woman is.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Feels like it's too much to ask for a competent, uncorrupt government that knows what a woman is.
I didn’t realise when I first voted at 18 I’d have to weigh up if my government not believing in my biological facts and rights was a good enough reason not to vote for them.

• Heart
I didn’t realise when I first voted at 18 I’d have to weigh up if my government not believing in my biological facts and rights was a good enough reason not to vote for them.
It's scary isn't it? I've never given a monkey's about how people want to live their lives, dress, sexuality etc etc but things have gotten out of control.

It's not such a big issue for me. With a cost of living crisis, people using food banks, not being able to afford rent, not ever being able to buy a house or retire, problems with the NHS, underfunding of schools etc. Honestly a politician defining something that is probably applicable to less than 1% of the population is so far down my list of priorities.

But it doesn't impact less than 1% of the population, it affects around 51% of the population - biological women - and has further ramifications for them.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
But it doesn't impact less than 1% of the population, it affects around 51% of the population - biological women - and has further ramifications for them.
I have never been in a situation where someone's definition of a woman has impacted me.

I've also never thought to myself "we're one of the worst off generations of our time and have the option to vote for a party that might change things, but you know they aren't clear on what a woman is so I'll just stick to voting for a party which will further entrench a wealth gap."

Sure, perhaps being able to define what a woman is might be on the top of someone's list when voting but it's not a priority for me.

trans rights literally have no impact on my life because i'm not trans. it's that simple. there's no redefining the terms of cis woman bc it literally has nothing to do with us. imo it's on the same level as the covid 5g conspiracy bc 'taking womens rights away' is *not real* they're literally just giving trans people more rights? terfs act like what's happening is robbing peter to pay paul when that's just not the case

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Trans rights have the same impact on women's rights that feminism did on men's rights. Giving rights to one group does not inherently mean taking it away from others.

So far, I haven't identified any proposed policies which would have a tangible impact on my rights as a woman or my way of living.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It's scary isn't it? I've never given a monkey's about how people want to live their lives, dress, sexuality etc etc but things have gotten out of control.
That always been my ethos too but in the recent debate about gender identity it doesn't appear to work and I feel to old and unaffected to take a definitive position. From the little I've read it seems one of those intractable issues that doesn't have a 'solution' that everyone will be happy with. It seems largely dominated by people operating on both extremes of the argument but I don't want to go any further than that.

My point is that Starmer knows just how divisive it is as do the Tory supporting media who are constantly trying to trap him with 'gotcha' questions. I don't blame him for doing his best to avoid being caught although based on the views expressed upthread he clearly failed on this issue. See he's recently been put on the spot again although I really don't know if his quotes here are the same or any better than before.

Reactions: 1
That always been my ethos too but in the recent debate about gender identity it doesn't appear to work and I feel to old and unaffected to take a definitive position. From the little I've read it seems one of those intractable issues that doesn't have a 'solution' that everyone will be happy with. It seems largely dominated by people operating on both extremes of the argument but I don't want to go any further than that.

My point is that Starmer knows just how divisive it is as do the Tory supporting media who are constantly trying to trap him with 'gotcha' questions. I don't blame him for doing his best to avoid being caught although based on the views expressed upthread he clearly failed on this issue. See he's recently been put on the spot again although I really don't know if his quotes here are the same or any better than before.

Which always seems to be the case. The extremists seem to have the loudest voices and not just about trans issues. The vast majority of people are somewhere in the middle. We are a country of centrists really.

The only thing I have an issue with is sport and prisons. That doesn't effect me personally as I don't do competitive sport and I have no intention of going to prison. 🤣 However, it made me think about a guy I used to work with (about 15 years ago). He was about 6'1" and well built. Came into work one day in woman's clothing. It made me think that I don't care what she wanted to be called or dressed, I wasn't bothered about toilets etc but if I had to go up against her in a swimming or cycling race I'd be pretty pissed off.

Similar with prisons. I am a firm believer you should be go on trial as the sex you were when you committed the crime and the relevant prison. Stop all this nonsense about rapists deciding they're now a woman. Some of it is such blatant piss taking and needs to be addressed.

I know there is a thread for this but it is relevant. If I was in Scotland I would seriously consider not voting SNP because of their gender policies.

It's not my number one priority at all but it is something I look at.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.