UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That's why people see Suella as a hypocrite. Because the things she says doesn't match up to the reality of who she is. If multiculturalism is a failure, then she must also be a failure because she definitely isn't exceptional.

It's not oppressive to point out the contradiction in what she says.

Also the Tories are quick to promote diversity when it suits them.

They're talking out of two sides of their mouth if they say multiculturalism has failed then turn around and brag about how diverse their party is.
Oh she's a failure alright 🤣 but I resent her trying to tarnish other migrants to the UK with the same brush as her.
How she is isn't utterly embarrassed at herself and seems to believe that not only do others in this country want to listen to her, but agree with her, is astonishing. See also Liz Truss.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Assimilation and multiculturalism aren’t the same thing. Opposites really
You’re right - perhaps the wrong term used in this instance, but still. People can come to this country, integrate and still keep strong ties to their community.
---
You clearly thought it was important when you pointed it out…Why did Theresa May want to leave the ECHR ?
I think you’re committed to missing the point. Context always matters.

Reactions: 4
You’re right - perhaps the wrong term used in this instance, but still. People can come to this country, integrate and still keep strong ties to their community.
---

I think you’re committed to missing the point. Context always matters.
No ,not missing it at all …Moth knows exactly what he’s about !

Dame Priti Patel, who had to resign from the cabinet under May for effectively treason. Not even shocking at this point.

Reactions: 9
Sunak trying to co-opt every populist issue as soon as it appears on Twitter in a frantic effort to garner support. ULEZ and 20 mph speed limits "against British values". I'm almost embarrassed for him now.

Reactions: 9
I've just watched the full clip that started the Lawrence Fox debacle. duck me. Is it any wonder why men don't open up and discuss things when there are people like Ava Evans/Santina and Francis O'Grady out there. Geoff Norcott did brilliantly I think not to lose it with them.

Laurence Fox and Dan Wootton are still massive twats.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
why are the government so concerned w 15 min cities? are there any tory voters who actually give a duck whether or not i can get to the shop, gp, work or school etc within a mile radius?

Reactions: 5
why are the government so concerned w 15 min cities? are there any tory voters who actually give a duck whether or not i can get to the shop, gp, work or school etc within a mile radius?
Pandering to conspiracy theorists because how is that a bad thing?

Only if you're one of those people who think it's hangover plan from the covid lockdowns to keep people restricted to one location.

Reactions: 7
Pandering to conspiracy theorists because how is that a bad thing?

Only if you're one of those people who think it's hangover plan from the covid lockdowns to keep people restricted to one location.
wait is that their issue w it? 😭 no way
do they think border force is gonna detain them if they go to the next city over? need a passport to go where there's different coloured wheelie bins? begging these people to get a grip omfg

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I quite like the idea of 15 minute cities. It just goes back to how things were about 40-50 years ago. Everything was within walking distance. There was a parade of shops, newsagents, church, pubs, post office, bank. Where I grew up in Liverpool, it is still like that today.

I remember when supermarkets started to become a thing. Once a month we would take the car and do a big shop but the rest of the month Mum got everything locally from grocer, butcher etc

Reactions: 8
wait is that their issue w it? 😭 no way
do they think border force is gonna detain them if they go to the next city over? need a passport to go where there's different coloured wheelie bins? begging these people to get a grip omfg

I wish I was making it up!

I genuinely can't think of any downsides to having essentials within a 15 minute walking distance so I can only imagine it's feeding into that conspiracy.
---
I quite like the idea of 15 minute cities. It just goes back to how things were about 40-50 years ago. Everything was within walking distance. There was a parade of shops, newsagents, church, pubs, post office, bank. Where I grew up in Liverpool, it is still like that today.

I remember when supermarkets started to become a thing. Once a month we would take the car and do a big shop but the rest of the month Mum got everything locally from grocer, butcher etc
Me too. I live in the same city but have moved from an area where most things were 15 minutes away to one where everything is 30 minutes away.

I don't have a car, but I'm young so I can manage but it's inconvenient. I can only imagine how much worse it is in more rural or suburban areas.

With the way people have seen a decline in transport links, banking services, post offices etc you'd think it would be a welcome thing.

And if the government truly wants us to live more sustainably, one way to help would be reducing our reliance on personal or public transport.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
So leaked WhatsApp messages ahead of the Conservative Party conference reveal that the 'grassroots' Conservative Democratic Organisation want to oust Sunak because the current government is not right-wing enough. That's the government that is living on manufactured culture wars and conspiracy theories, destroying the NHS and other public services and systematically stripping citizens of their rights. Still it's hardly surprising since Claire Bullivant the co-founder and chief executive of the CDO reveals that the CDO includes members of the Reform Party and the messages show that members include conspiracy theorists and some that want Boris Johnson and even Tom Harwood (one of the few GB News presenters that's not already a Tory MP) to replace Sunak.

Reactions: 10
So leaked WhatsApp messages ahead of the Conservative Party conference reveal that the 'grassroots' Conservative Democratic Organisation want to oust Sunak because the current government is not right-wing enough.
Were the messages deliberately leaked? Or really leaked? It's mad, Labour are turning into Tories, the Tories are turning into the National Front, and the Lib Dems are .... well, the Lib Dems. :ROFLMAO:

A government minister (Mark Harper, Transport Secretary) has just made a speech at the Tory Party Conference in which he vowed that Tories will stop "the misuse of 15 minute cities ... what is sinister is the idea of local councils deciding how often you can go to the shops". Not a sinister as a government pedalling ridiculous conspiracy theories in order to attract votes from the hard of thinking.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.