UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
All I know is living standards in this country have kept falling with this government due to its policies... I genuinely wonder if the country can survive another term of Tories

I think another 5 years of the Tories would be just as dangerous as another 4 years of Trump.

Reactions: 4
we shouldn't have to muddle through while the rich get richer and the tories hand gov contracts to their underqualified mates

• Heart
Reactions: 10
We'll muddle through. That's what we do. The West is in decline, that's life I'm afraid.
People have always 'muddled through' ... or they have died, often in poverty and squalor. We don't have to accept it. The decline has been engineered to benefit the wealthy, unfortunately often with the unthinking acquiescent of it's victims. It isn't inevitable.

Reactions: 11
People have always 'muddled through' ... or they have died, often in poverty and squalor. We don't have to accept it. The decline has been engineered to benefit the wealthy, unfortunately often with the unthinking acquiescent of it's victims. It isn't inevitable.
People are too docile and glued to their phones to actually do anything about Western decline. I mean, just look at birth-rates in Western society. If people can't be bothered to breed, they sure as hell can't be bothered to rise up and throw off the yoke of waton capitalism. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2
People are too docile and glued to their phones to actually do anything about Western decline. I mean, just look at birth-rates in Western society. If people can't be bothered to breed, they sure as hell can't be bothered to rise up and throw off the yoke of waton capitalism. :rolleyes:
In this case you can also say Japan or China are also on decline, as both have low birth-rates. On the opposite trend, the countries with the highest birth rate are not necessarily the most successful. When the birth-rate was high in Europe, it could only be managed because millions of people emigrated. The demographic pressure would have been too strong otherwise.

As for the West in decline, I think the biggest issue is that inequality of wealth have been increasing again since the late 80s. The wealthiest percentage of the western population didn't see a decline - on the opposite, they have amassed more and more wealth. The middle class and the poorest see their living conditions decreasing and fight among themselves for a part of the cake getting smaller and smaller - hence the decrease of birth-rate.

I don't believe in communist utopia but unchecked capitalism without the notion of common society is a disaster and as long people are exclusively focused on themselves we will see our lives fetting worse while a little percentage of people will benefit from it.

Reactions: 13
British people are politically docile and seem to think it's noble to accept their lot, even if their lot could be what kills them. But voting is one of the few, low effort actions they can take to avoid having to "muddle through".

The low birth rate is a response to capitalism, people can just about afford to live for themselves, let alone add a child to the mix. You can't "breed" (ew) your way out of capitalism or poverty. Having children will hit your pockets faster than most lifestyle changes.

Reactions: 8
I think only around 20,000 pay it a year so on the grand scheme of things it's small fry but again it show how this lot are just totally uninterested in tackling the vast array of issues this country is facing, such as healthcare and housing, and just piss about with trivial stuff that nobody apart from their geriatric base gives a duck about.

Reactions: 9
Most Inheritance Tax is derived from untaxed capital gains not already taxed income. Anyway isn't VAT a tax on "hard working peoples money that’s already been taxed"?

It's no surprise that in the middle of a cost of living crisis this failing government can find the £7.2 billion required for a policy that will only benefit the 3.7% richest people in the country or that Tory supporters are surprised that everyone doesn't agree. It won't be long before we also hear them whining about how not treating asylum seekers like human garbage is stopping us looking after our own homeless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
So Braverman steps beyond the asylum seeker issue to criticise general immigration and multiculturalism. Invokes patriotism and has the absolute gall to use David Cameron's phrase about 'all being in it together' to suggest that immigrants are not really part of this country. She rejects as "offensive" the suggestion that because she is the daughter of immigrants and comes from a multicultural background herself that it is hypocritical to be against these things.

She rejects the suggestion that we need to belong to the ECHR to protect our human rights while at the same time the government has been busy curtailing our right to protest, to vote, to strike and limit our right to judicial review. Who know where they will go next.

If this isn't outright fascism it is as 'fascist adjacent' as we have ever seen in this country. And what is genuinely frightening is that it appears to attract support from at least 25% of the country. Sickening and scary.

Reactions: 10
So Braverman steps beyond the asylum seeker issue to criticise general immigration and multiculturalism. Invokes patriotism and has the absolute gall to use David Cameron's phrase about 'all being in it together' to suggest that immigrants are not really part of this country. She rejects as "offensive" the suggestion that because she is the daughter of immigrants and comes from a multicultural background herself that it is hypocritical to be against these things.

She rejects the suggestion that we need to belong to the ECHR to protect our human rights while at the same time the government has been busy curtailing our right to protest, to vote, to strike and limit our right to judicial review. Who know where they will go next.

If this isn't outright fascism it is as 'fascist adjacent' as we have ever seen in this country. And what is genuinely frightening is that it appears to attract support from at least 25% of the country. Sickening and scary.
Why shouldn’t second /third generation of immigrants not be allowed to voice their opinions on immigration?? That seems pretty racist in itself.

Reactions: 3
And what is genuinely frightening is that it appears to attract support from at least 25% of the country. Sickening and scary.
Where did you get the 25 percent figure from? Genuinely curious so don't jump down my throat for asking.

Reactions: 1

I don't think it's 25% because UKIP at their height never got that high in a vote, it's more like 10-15%. She's pandering to the gammons but she'll turn off quite a lot of middle-class, professional Tory votes who may switch to Labour or Lib Dems. Funny thing is, the people who she's trying to woo probably privately don't see her any different to an immigrant evem though she's born here. She's just another convient shield the Tories like to roll out when trying to convince people they're not racist.

Reactions: 8
Why shouldn’t second /third generation of immigrants not be allowed to voice their opinions on immigration?? That seems pretty racist in itself.
You continually use this tactic on the 'asylum seeker' thread. Don't bring it here. Nobody mentioned racism but you.
Where did you get the 25 percent figure from? Genuinely curious so don't jump down my throat for asking.
Just a rough figure based on recent voting intentions polls. I'm not precious about the actual percentage. It's depressing that anybody supports her vile rhetoric.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.