UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
isn't whatsapp linked to the phone number itself? surely they can just take the sim card out
It can literally be sorted out in 10 minutes. It's in nobodies interest for the contents of this phone to be revealed. Apart from us plebs, you know, the suckers who vote these fools in and pay taxes. :p

Reactions: 6
I meant to post last week but WTF at this child who's been elected in Selby and Ainsty?

How do the local businesses, families, OAPs expect this guy who's only ever had one job (which was in politics) to understand and represent them?

Madness, but seems like he got in just because all the usual tory voters didn't turn up as they're disenfranchised by Sunak and co.

I meant to post last week but WTF at this child who's been elected in Selby and Ainsty?

How do the local businesses, families, OAPs expect this guy who's only ever had one job (which was in politics) to understand and represent them?

Madness, but seems like he got in just because all the usual tory voters didn't turn up as they're disenfranchised by Sunak and co.

I disagree with your view in his age being a disadvantage we need people of all ages and walks of life in politics! He may have more life experience than someone of 60 who has only ever had been to private school followed by Oxford followed by a high paid job! We need to appeal to younger people and get more young people to vote!

Reactions: 13
Yes he's ridiculously young and baby-faced but maybe he has tonnes of enthusiasm and will be eager to learn a much as possible about his constituents' needs? Rather than going through the motions like a lot of these arrogant and entitled MPs who do very little and just aren't interested in listening to what people actually want?

Reactions: 13
I think we should at least wait and see how he does before criticising him.

At the end of the day, he was voted in fair and square. Not sure why some people are moaning about democracy in action.

Reactions: 9
He's ruffling deathers for supporting Kier Starmer's two child benefit cap but he may just be complying. Either way, it's the Labour party's stance so any MP from them would probably back it.

We have enough examples of older MPs not listening to the complaints of younger voters (or just regular people) so maybe he'll bring some balance.

All we need from an MP is them to have enough understanding of how society works and what people want... which you can learn at any age.

Reactions: 2

At the end of the day, he was voted in fair and square. Not sure why some people are moaning about democracy in action.
Nah he won simply because 15,000 tory voters didn't turn out to vote, for whatever reason. Yes he was democratically elected but the turnout and figures for the seat over the years speak for themselves. There was no huge landsliding swing towards him.

Happy to sit back and see what he can do though, and if he can survive at a general election.

Reactions: 2

He’s not a child for duck sake. He’s a 25 year old man. Interestingly he’s the same age Churchill was when he first became an MP - I’m assuming you think he was a child with no life experience either.

Reactions: 11
I read he'd had 3 different types of jobs whilst studying etc.
I'm currently reading Norman Baker's book. All I can say so far is people with common sense in local and national politics must have big dents in their heads through banging them against a brick wall.

Reactions: 4

I heard that his mother said he's had 3 jobs, one of them was a butcher. That's all I know about him 😅

Reactions: 1
Nah he won simply because 15,000 tory voters didn't turn out to vote, for whatever reason. Yes he was democratically elected but the turnout and figures for the seat over the years speak for themselves. There was no huge landsliding swing towards him.
Be quite good if nobody at all in the UK voted in the next general election. :LOL: Put that in your mandate pipe and smoke it.

Reactions: 1
I don't remember there being this much commentary on Nadia Whittome who was 23 when she became an MP. Is it because she looks her age (maybe even a little mature) while Keir is baby faced? She seems to be doing well as an MP so far and advocates for issues that concern average people and the disenfranchised even if it goes against the party line.

Mhiri Black was 19 when elected, and she has been an excellent constituency MP (even if you don't agree with her views).

Reactions: 3
I don't remember there being this much commentary on Nadia Whittome who was 23 when she became an MP. Is it because she looks her age (maybe even a little mature) while Keir is baby faced? She seems to be doing well as an MP so far and advocates for issues that concern average people and the disenfranchised even if it goes against the party line.
Good point. It's so odd.

Most people who went to University graduate by the time they're 21, so at 25 most of them will have been in work for four years. We wouldn't say they were too young for pretty much any other job.

If they didn't go to Uni, they could have been in work for 7 years by the time they're 25...

Reactions: 4
A whole four years? I need to sit down.
Well, some seem to be acting like he’s fresh out of school, whereas I was making the point that most 25 year olds will have already been in employment for years.

I work with a 25 year old who manages a team and he’s perfectly capable. Just seems a bit like reverse ageism for someone to assume an MP will be incompetent based solely on their age.

Reactions: 7
Something really irritating me today, sort of politics related but more news related. Why does the news keep describing the people being flown home from Greece as 'repatriation flights'? They are just flights bringing people home. I've never said to anyone in my life: "I'm flying home tomorrow for repatriation". Sorry ... irrational irritation, I just had to get it out of my system. Fookin' newspeak. :LOL:

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I would normally take "repatriation" to mean that the government or an insurance company has picked up the bill for getting you out of a crisis or medical situation and back to your home country.

I don't know if that is the case in Greece yet though or if it's just the media using the wrong word.

Something really irritating me today, sort of politics related but more news related. Why does the news keep describing the people being flown home from Greece as 'repatriation flights'? They are just flights bringing people home. I've never said to anyone in my life: "I'm flying home tomorrow for repatriation". Sorry ... irrational irritation, I just had to get it out of my system. Fookin' newspeak. :LOL:
I think it's because they're flying empty planes over to Greece for the sole purpose of bringing people home before they would have ordinarily returned to the UK.

So in that context I think it makes sense to give them a different name.

I think it's because they're flying empty planes over to Greece for the sole purpose of bringing people home before they would have ordinarily returned to the UK.

So in that context I think it makes sense to give them a different name.
I was in Spain when Monarch airlines went into administration. Our return flight was classed as a repatriation flight as it was chartered by the government.

At the time it was referred to as "the biggest repatriation effort since Dukirk" :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.