UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is it just me who watched the regular BBC news articles today on the Chandrayaan-3 spaceship and wonders why the UK are still sending overseas aid to India even though they have their own space program? Surely if India prioritises sending a rocket into space over the millions of people living in poverty there, it's time for the UK and others to stop subsidising?

I'm not normally one for 'we should look after our own first' etc, but in this instance i don't think that's an unreasonable view to hold.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 9
Is it just me who watched the regular BBC news articles today on the Chandrayaan-3 spaceship and wonders why the UK are still sending overseas aid to India even though they have their own space program? Surely if India prioritises sending a rocket into space over the millions of people living in poverty there, it's time for the UK and others to stop subsidising?

I'm not normally one for 'we should look after our own first' etc, but in this instance i don't think that's an unreasonable view to hold.

Thoughts?
I partiall agree with you. But the problem is that the Indian government is not really interested in the well-being of minorities and with its hindu nationalist ideology, muslims are being more and more persecuted. So, yes India should take care of its own people but don't. If oversea aid targets people ignored/persecuted by the Indian government, well then we can see its usefelness.

But generall speaking I am doubtful about oversea aid - not that it is not needed or that I think it should be stopped. But I reall dislike the way it is used and how corrupt people can gain access to this money before it can reach those in need.

Reactions: 7
I partiall agree with you. But the problem is that the Indian government is not really interested in the well-being of minorities and with its hindu nationalist ideology, muslims are being more and more persecuted. So, yes India should take care of its own people but don't. If oversea aid targets people ignored/persecuted by the Indian government, well then we can see its usefelness.

But generall speaking I am doubtful about oversea aid - not that it is not needed or that I think it should be stopped. But I reall dislike the way it is used and how corrupt people can gain access to this money before it can reach those in need.
Thanks, always good to have a balanced comment. I'm in two minds whether i think it's our responsibility to support people who are persecuted - but i probably need to reflect on that a bit more. that said, i agree with you and also think overseas aid contributes to corruption too.

Reactions: 1

Thoughts?
India treats its people terribly and countries giving them aid is just propping up their bad practices. If they can afford to put a spacecraft on the bloody moon they don’t need other countries money. We could do so much with the foreign aid that India is just pissing away.

Reactions: 6
India treats its people terribly and countries giving them aid is just propping up their bad practices. If they can afford to put a spacecraft on the bloody moon they don’t need other countries money. We could do so much with the foreign aid that India is just pissing away.
Tbf, I think everything linked to space and staring at black holes etc. is a waste of time and money.

Here's something I heard yesterday, every 10 minutes in Yemen right now a child dies of either hunger or disease ... when was that last on the news? Of course .... we and the American's are supplying the Saudi's the weapons, so let's focus on bad Russia and their treatment of Ukraine. Ugh ... sorry for the rant, you triggered me. :cautious:

Reactions: 4
I'm not generally a person that rants about foreign aid but I really do not see how we are giving aid to a county that has a space programme.

I'm not sure what the answer is to foreign aid. The countries that need it most are generally very corrupt so the people never receive the benefits. I think I 'd rather governments gave money to charities like Save The Children or Medicine Sans Frontieres but even that isn't foolproof.

Reactions: 3
so let's focus on bad Russia and their treatment of Ukraine
I don’t think this is an either or situation. We should focus on both. Russia is bad, it’s a terrorist state. They are raping children, men, women and the elderly, they are torturing, they are murdering. People don’t have access to medicine and food. Children are being taken from their home country and forcefully ‘adopted’ by Russians and all their Ukrainian identity is being rubbed out. It’s a form of genocide. What’s happening in Ukraine also directly impacts on the UK as a country so that’s why we are focusing on it more. Our food and oil prices have gone up and certain things are more difficult to get due to trade routes being affected.

What’s happening in Yemen is equally horrific and on a certain level more complicated because there isn’t just one foe. The international community are backing the government, which is in turn backed by the Saudis. The Houthi rebels are backed by Iran and Islamist groups and separatists are backed by the United Arab Emirates.

Learning about space is important and comparing it to the coverage of a humanitarian crisis and war doesn’t make any sense as they are two completely different ideas and issues.

Reactions: 7
Nadine has finally resigned ... I think it took her so long to resign because she was writing such a withering resignation letter 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Nadine has finally resigned ... I think it took her so long to resign because she was writing such a withering resignation letter 🤣

I'd personally like to mark her resignation by fondly recalling the historic occasion in which she learned for the very first time that Channel 4 - which she was planning to sell - was publicly-funded. Live on air.

Absolute scenes. ❤

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I'd personally like to mark her resignation by fondly recalling the historic occasion in which she learned for the very first time that Channel 4 - which she was planning to sell - was publicly-funded. Live on air.

Absolute scenes. ❤
I'll personally miss the absolute love in her eyes when she was near Boris or taking about him.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
nads was probs making sure her daughters were given cushy new jobs with a tory donor before she fucked off for good

Nadine's seemingly blind devotion to Boris reinforces my complete lack of understanding regarding the female mind. :LOL:

Reactions: 1
The announcement Police need to investigate every theft is a damning assessment of how far policing standards have fallen under the coalition/Conservative governments but I don't doubt it will play well with voters.

The announcement Police need to investigate every theft is a damning assessment of how far policing standards have fallen under the coalition/Conservative governments but I don't doubt it will play well with voters.
What with though? The Police Service staffing has been cut to the bone, like everything else.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.