UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it’s ridiculous myself, why should anyone be held accountable for what their ancestors did, it’s not like you get a choice what family to be born into…Plus we learn from history we can’t change it.

Reactions: 6
I guess Rishi Sunak doesn't want anything getting in the way of his wife receiving so much in taxpayer's money.

The role of prime minister stopped being noble a long time ago. Seems like a fast route to taxpayer handouts and a career leg up.
---
I think it’s ridiculous myself, why should anyone be held accountable for what their ancestors did, it’s not like you get a choice what family to be born into…Plus we learn from history we can’t change it.

Some of the families who are in possession of this wealth seem to disagree and it's up to them what they do with their money, no?

Reactions: 6
I guess Rishi Sunak doesn't want anything getting in the way of his wife receiving so much in taxpayer's money.

The role of prime minister stopped being noble a long time ago. Seems like a fast route to taxpayer handouts and a career leg up.
---

Some of the families who are in possession of this wealth seem to disagree and it's up to them what they do with their money, no?
They can certainly do what they want with their money ,if it makes them feel good or gains them more publicity, it certainly won’t change history though .

Reactions: 2

---

I agree with this. But I also agree that there should be no reparations or reparations for every one, as everyone will have ancestors who suffered at the hands of someone else. What if gov just gave £50 to everyone in the UK? :D

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I agree with this. But I also agree that there should be no reparations or reparations for every one, as everyone will have ancestors who suffered at the hands of someone else. What if gov just gave £50 to everyone in the UK? :D
Blood Money 💰

Reactions: 1
They can certainly do what they want with their money ,if it makes them feel good or gains them more publicity, it certainly won’t change history though .
I don't understand where the changing history aspect comes into this. If you do wrong and try to correct that wrong, that's what helps move things forward and stops people referring to the past.

People know it won't undo what happened but it'll help them to move on from it.

I also think a large part of why some communities still hold resentment and these conversations still swirl around is because it hasn't been properly addressed and a lot of times is downplayed.

EDIT: if anything the mistreatment of those who were enslaved continues today in the way the UK government treated the windrush generation and their children/grandchildren who are direct descendants of the slave trade.
---
With how much money the government pays itself and their friends through favours and loopholes, we're owed way more than that!

Last edited:
I don't understand where the changing history aspect comes into this. If you do wrong and try to correct that wrong, that's what helps move things forward and stops people referring to the past.

People know it won't undo what happened but it'll help them to move on from it.

I also think a large part of why some communities still hold resentment and these conversations still swirl around is because it hasn't been properly addressed and a lot of times is downplayed.
---

With how much money the government pays itself and their friends through favours and loopholes, we're owed way more than that!
We're worth it 🤑 😄
I think that unless the reparations go into something tangible that represents people, instead of just a bung to individuals then this same issue could happen again hundreds of years down the line. People saying their ancestors were rewarded but they themselves want reparations too bc uncle Derek spent all the cash on holidays and parties and there's now nothing to show for it.

Good to see that the people who have the means and responsibility to pay have more compassion than the keyboard warriors who feel it necessary to defend wealth that isn't theirs.
Oh for goodness sake, it’s a discussion board and I, as well as others, are discussing the issue. No one is defending wealth. 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 3
That's the real crime here for Blueblue123. It isn't slavery but having wealth.

And Blueblue123's determined you'll pay for that, even if you've got to be dug up out of the ground.

We're worth it 🤑 😄
I think that unless the reparations go into something tangible that represents people, instead of just a bung to individuals then this same issue could happen again hundreds of years down the line. People saying their ancestors were rewarded but they themselves want reparations too bc uncle Derek spent all the cash on holidays and parties and there's now nothing to show for it.
Any money given should go to specific project like a school, hospital, research project etc etc in the poorest areas . Something the community can benefit from.

Any money given should go to specific project like a school, hospital, research project etc etc in the poorest areas . Something the community can benefit from.
The UK is Europe’s leading donor for Overseas Development Aid (ODA), contributing 0.7% of Gross National Income.

The UK is the only G20 country, and one of only five countries, to meet the 0.7% target adopted by UN General Assembly resolution in 1970, with the UK government making that commitment legally binding in 2015.

Statistics on UK ODA spend stretching back over a decade can be found here. Some estimates put total historical UK overseas aid and charitable spend to former colonies at circa £400 trillion.

That's some 'reparation' figure.

• Wow
The UK is Europe’s leading donor for Overseas Development Aid (ODA), contributing 0.7% of Gross National Income.

The UK is the only G20 country, and one of only five countries, to meet the 0.7% target adopted by UN General Assembly resolution in 1970, with the UK government making that commitment legally binding in 2015.

Statistics on UK ODA spend stretching back over a decade can be found here. Some estimates put total historical UK overseas aid and charitable spend to former colonies at circa £400 trillion.

In 2021 the UK government cut the target for ODA from 0.7% to 0.5%. In 2022 the UK provided development aid equivalent to 0.51% of GNI. That placed the UK in 12th position out of 30 DAC (Development Assistance Committee) countries, behind Luxembourg, Sweden, Norway, Germany and Denmark (who all exceeded the 0.7% target) plus Netherlands, Ireland, Switzerland, Finland, France and Poland.

Anyone else find these two BBC politcal reporters irritating? The one who looks like Adrian Mole always seems to have white spittle forming in the corners of his mouth when he speaks and the other one blinks excessively as if he's trying to relay what he is saying in morse code. It's ok, it's probably just me ... I'm getting on a bit and a lot of things irritate me these days. :rolleyes:

Image1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3
The Adrian Mole chap could benefit from a change of toothpaste? It's the SLS in it which causes the spittle....Sensodyne is the way to go..

The blinker could have a tic?

• Heart
In 2021 the UK government cut the target for ODA from 0.7% to 0.5%. In 2022 the UK provided development aid equivalent to 0.51% of GNI. That placed the UK in 12th position out of 30 DAC (Development Assistance Committee) countries, behind Luxembourg, Sweden, Norway, Germany and Denmark (who all exceeded the 0.7% target) plus Netherlands, Ireland, Switzerland, Finland, France and Poland.
Thanks for the correction, Moth.

In 2021 UK ODA was £11.4 billion.

Statistics on International Development: final UK aid spend 2021
Government sets out conditions for returning to 0.7% aid target

I don't actually agree with reparations. It was just a suggestion that if any individual or family wanted to, then that was the way to go.

1683238470928.png

1683238461244.png

Absolutely called it back in September, ransacked them like the grade A thug she and all those tory bastards are.

Coke parties, stealing over 10k worth of shite, swindling money from people, if this were a working class person, she'd be called a thug and a gangster, so I refuse to acknowledge her as anything else.

Sorry if this was discussed earlier, I just found it funny.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Watching the results from the local elections coming in. It's early at the moment but so satisfying seeing swings away from the tories considering how poorly they've run the country for the last 13 years.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.