UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was reading today that Boris wants the UK to give Ukraine "all our jets". I'm all for helping as much as we can, but wouldn't that surely leave the UK exposed if we were attacked with nothing to help our own defences?

Reactions: 6
I suspect that we’re already exposed when it comes to our military defence capabilities - cuts and underfunding over the last however many years have left us woefully behind other G7 nations. Ukraine didn’t want our tanks, they wanted Germany’s. If anyone launches a serious attack at the UK we’re screwed.

The good news is that the rest of the world no longer considers us major political or military players so they’re unlikely to bother us.

Reactions: 2
I saw a headline the other day about Assad bombing the earthquake victims on the Syrian side of the border.
I was thinking WTF! Why would you bomb your own people!!
Just watching the news now while I wait for Question Time. It seems the earthquakes happened in the border region of Turkey/Syria and northern Syrians have been fighting Assad. So that explains why Assad bombed them (hit your enemies when they're down).

Question Time was good tonight . Feel like I need to watch it again as I wasn't fully concentrating as I'm tired. Why have it on so late🤷
George Freeman (Conservative) - at last a decent, reasonable minister.
I got the impression the audience think Labour is woke and I laughed when an audience member said something like "we don't pay you to be "offended" but to debate in parliament"
Also laughed when one of the panel recognised his vicar who was complaining about wokeism.
Yes, I really need to watch it again when I'm more awake. 😄

The last time I saw a burnt out police van on the news it was a riot not a 'protest'.
this is really local to me and the area is a weird one when it comes to politics. very much scouse identity / duck the tories / don't buy the sun and one of the safest labour seats in the country, but voted for brexit and ukip got 10% of votes in 2015. not a very diverse area either (literally 98% white) and as of a few years ago we have no further education / A level providers in the whole borough

the 'protests' started after a 25yo asylum seeker approached a 15yo schoolgirl and asked for her number etc, people put two and two together that migrants were being housed in a local hotel and after the police not finding a suspect within days 'took matters into their own hands'. don't even think there was any evidence to suggest the man was part of the hotel group? but might be wrong there.

Patriotic Alternative jumped on it and organised the 'protest', locals joined in thinking it was about paedophilia when that was a thinly veiled attempt at disguising the racist / anti immigrant sentiment the PA push. If it was really about paedophilia, why not protest at ashworth while ian brady was alive? rock up to prince andrew's gates and start a fire there? would they be using one mans behaviour to attack all asylum seekers if they were white or 'palatable' europeans? completely agree that it became a riot.

anyway, thought this twitter thread explained it quite well

Last edited:
  • Heart
this is really local to me and the area is a weird one when it comes to politics. very much scouse identity / duck the tories / don't buy the sun and one of the safest labour seats in the country, but voted for brexit and ukip got 10% of votes in 2015. not a very diverse area either (literally 98% white) and as of a few years ago we have no further education / A level providers in the whole borough

the 'protests' started after a 25yo asylum seeker approached a 15yo schoolgirl and asked for her number etc, people put two and two together that migrants were being housed in a local hotel and after the police not finding a suspect within days 'took matters into their own hands'. don't even think there was any evidence to suggest the man was part of the hotel group? but might be wrong there.

Patriotic Alternative jumped on it and organised the 'protest', locals joined in thinking it was about paedophilia when that was a thinly veiled attempt at disguising the racist / anti immigrant sentiment the PA push. If it was really about paedophilia, why not protest at ashworth while ian brady was alive? rock up to prince andrew's gates and start a fire there? would they be using one mans behaviour to attack all asylum seekers if they were white or 'palatable' europeans? completely agree that it became a riot.

anyway, thought this twitter thread explained it quite well

The video filmed by the girl also happened to be caught on video from over the road at the same time, and was tweeted out by a Tommy Robinson supporter… seems like a set up to me.

Reactions: 1
Why did Nicola Sturgeon refer to herself in the third person? 🙄
"That's not what Nicola Sturgeon is about"
Also saying she's a human 🙄
Oh I thought she was an alien 🙄

So this is what happens when we throw off the shackles of the evil EU , take back our lovely shiny sovereignty and finally seize control of our own borders. The gammons must be delighted. I don’t know whether to laugh or laugh.
1676571966154.jpeg

Reactions: 3
I was listening to LBC radio just now and caught a caller from Australia who said she's been here 35 years for love and can't wait to return. Another texted in about doing a TEFL and going to Phillipines to escape for good. Bit depressing that the state of the country has got to this that people don't want to stay. I even feel the same to be honest. Especially with miserable winter now and miserable government etc.

Reactions: 4
True.
But are you forgetting Johnson’s oven ready Brexit deal? Or his promise (LIE) that there wouldn’t be any customs checks between Britain and Northern Ireland? Johnson appears to be complaining that Sunak isn’t clearing up the mess he made in the right way.
1676844194747.jpeg

Reactions: 4
True.
But are you forgetting Johnson’s oven ready Brexit deal? Or his promise (LIE) that there wouldn’t be any customs checks between Britain and Northern Ireland? Johnson appears to be complaining that Sunak isn’t clearing up the mess he made in the right way.
View attachment 1972946
That may be true on Brexit the special status on goods was only temporary but they extended it in the hope businesses could catch up on paperwork, the NI stalemate is nothing to do with Brexit, unionists vetoed Mays deal in favour of Boris’s fake promises, that’ll teach em to trust a liar 🤥

Reactions: 1
Christ almighty. It’s almost entirely Johnson’s fault the whole thing is a complete clusterfuck.
He needs to duck of to the arse end of hell then duck off some more.
Him and his abusive father too. How the old man is still getting air time occasionally I have no idea.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.