Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LetMeRamble

VIP Member
I'll see Eternals over the weekend. However, somehow I believe critics this time. After previous phase finished hype is not so real anymore. I see it on my friends who are long time Marvel fans. By that I mean fans of comic books, not stans, shippers, or what else is there.
What came out of MCU after End Game, wasn't bad but wasn't great either.

Let's wait and see.
I think this is not on Disney but the audience Disney caters to.

From my perspective and in my personal opinion, Avengers was something that wasn't seen before and, at this point, has a very hard core fanbase and supporters much like the Trekkies, for example.

Unfortunately for them, anything that comes after the amazing smash hit that The Avengers was, is going to be compared with it SPECIALLY if they used The Eternals to set the tone for Avengers 2.0 or Phase 2, however they called it.
We, as viewers, are going to have expectations and if those are not met, we are going to complain. It's hard to go an MCU movie without having the previous ones on the back of our heads.
I'm still mourning the death of Tony, I was NOT ready for that ansamble to be terminated but I understood it runs its course.
The way I see it, and the mindset I'm taking to the movie is an introduction.
I think, and it may be total nonsense, that instead of doing one movie per super hero like Iron Man or Cap, they are presenting us with the units and backstories that may make the next group of Earth's defenders. I'm not expected The Eternals to be anything more than a glimpse on who they may be.
I never read the comics so I'm just talking about what I think this is about, I can be totally wrong.

veryone sees what everyone wants to see, I guess. My opinion is that he lost his glow due to whichever reason I can't speculate. This has nothing to do with the age, as I previously said. There are elderly people who shine.
I have been saying this for a while now but...
Then we got this.....THIS MAN is the one I stan and the one I came here for. I saw a glimpse of the old Thomas here and I'm riding that tide still.

Okay, but now I have to write something: even though he's appearance changed, I still find him very attractive :) And his appearance is only a small part of his appeal. So it gave me an idea to change the current narrative a bit. Maybe it was disscused earlier, but my question to you is: WHY DO YOU LIKE HIM? I'm curious what are your reasons :)
Eyes and CHARISMA! His eyes has something but also, he seems to be the type of person that you could sit and talk for HOURS without getting bored.
His energy is mesmerizing.
His voice and accent :sneaky:
But above all, he seems like a GENUINE nice dude!

PLUS he looks like this.....
1636119643857.png

• Heart
Reactions: 9

db131

VIP Member
I am not sure, tbh. Probably the naivety. And it may or may not be related to me losing my own naivety by the minute! 😅 usually I am not so caught up in other people's experiences: if you liked it good for you, I don't really care. But I don't know... there was something about this one that made me sad and therefore upset (my primary defense mechanism is anger).

Happy Halloween everyone! 🧟‍♀️🧟🧟‍♂️
I think we’re among the fans who enjoy him for what he is but aren’t “obsessed”- we like him but won’t defend everything he does, our lives don’t revolve around him, and we ultimately know that no celebrity affects our lives in the long run no matter how much we like them (I obviously can’t speak for everyone but that seems to be the vibe here).

I think sometimes it gets frustrating to see people who are so entirely wrapped up in someone who ultimately won’t have any true impact on their life, and then of course you have the ones that are invested to the point that they think they have some sort of special understanding of the celebrity that no one else does. Like the people who have blogs dedicated to secret relationships and they feel they know the celebrity so much better than everyone else. That’s not the thing you’re talking about here but that’s one that gets me riled up- parasocial relationships with celebs frustrate me to no end, I think I’ve become very jaded over the last few years just from looking at tumblrs 😂

Anyway here is my dog, Princess Leia, dressed as Winnie the Pooh for Halloween:
5723C2D1-36E3-4A37-8905-CF071398F2CD.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 8
C42E3371-601A-4766-B76D-B3E72CE8B1E0.jpeg

Idon’t know if I’ve said already but there were no questions from the audience. People were very receptive tho…and to Sophia as well. Really nice mood, happy crowd. Loki dominated this con, so many cosplays related to the show. I’ve got to the auditorium at 11 and it was already half-full, people were sitting there from 9am. I think Tom was really happy with the warm reception he got and Sophia was full blown away by it, she was mesmerised.
I said he seemed self conscious because of some fidgeting and he tried really hard to keep a hand between his legs or cross them probably to avoid weird pictures from the people in the first row.

LetMeRamble

VIP Member
Not to beat around the bush. I also know what reasons fans are speculating. 😂 Let's just say I didn't mean that reason. I meant more like maybe this guy has some private problems, some crisis of identity, issues about what path to choose when he is done with Marvel, etc. We all have ups and downs, no?
I was debating on whether I should say what I think or not but hey, I'mma do it
Thought I think he did change, and noticeably so, after Swiftaggedon, I thing he got up on his feet with his Betrayal era and felt a little bit more like himself, though he became more reclusive. Mole Man.
If I were to pin point where I started seeing him sadder or gloomy I would have to say something shifted late June or July, granted we didn't see much of him, but I'm going to roll with it. Maybe he was just tired after filming 2 series back to back, maybe something on a personal level did happen, but that is something we'll never know.
He strikes me as someone who is dead focused on his career and after 2016, when some people from the media / industry were not very kind to him, he stopped being involved in projects. Maybe he is too picky with scripts, maybe he is not being presented with something he deems worthy, but his career seems to have stalled a little between then and 2020. That HAS to have something to do with it, in my opinion. Imagine being passionate about something and, due to a mishap, not being able to fully do it?
The reality is that I can sit here and speculate left and right about what I feel is going on but we'll never know.
Right now, I find myself happier that he looks and feels better after the MCM Comic Con, some of that old spark is back and I hope it continues to shine.

Jara

VIP Member
I will digress here a bit (as I often do). I finally came back home yesterday evening and I managed to watch the MCM panel on full screen, not on my phone and a couple of things I noticed (and I really think that person you are talking about either met Tom at a bad day - cos everybody has one - or he just asked not to be disturbed during rehersals....the problem is that when you get the "nice guy" label, it is a bit hard to get rid of that one as well and everybody expects you to be a shiny rainbow all the time)

Few points from the video:
Jonathan was starstruck by Tom. It was obvious and we tend to forget he is really younger than Tom in age and carreer.
Tom loves Loki. Period. Everytime he talks about him, his eyes shine, he is driving force behind the character and the show.
Him and Sophia have a great relationship. You can see the glances they keep exchanging.
Sophia mentioning Tom running around. We know he tends to do that, refering back to the love for the material.
Tom and his "I have to name every single person who worked on this because God forbid I would take some credit" :D
Owen and Tom seemed to have developed a real friendship. It is not unusual but these tend to end when the filming ends.
If you are not a complete asshole, you keep in touch and meet here and there but this seems to be beyond that. Probably because of the intense pandemic time? The way Tom touched his chest when he was talking about Owen would suggest that.
I love Owen and I would have never thought he would be at the MCU and working with Tom. My life is complete :D

Both Tom and Sophia must have been incredibly anxious teenagers. Tom always being hard on himself, Sophia probably unhappy about how she looked....good for them now (I think we can judge from it that Tom tends to have some anxiety issues until now? Would make sense with him disappearing from a public eye from time to time. I know Sebastian Stan is also very shy. Maybe Tom had his "good times" somewhere between 2011 and 2016, maybe because he buried himself to work a bit? And then got worse....but it is just a theory I have.)

Tom playing with his hair while thinking about the answer is a new thing and is incredibly cute. He is shaved so he probably couldn¨t play with his beard anymore :D
Also, why is he shaved and he does seem to be a bit more buffed which makes me wonder if he is just changing looks or if he is preparing for filming.
Sophia´s pregnancy is further down than we thought so maybe the filming may start sooner? Sophia suggested 2022 for S2 (filming or streaming, we don´t know) so it is a good thing.
Jonathan with his "pull up your pants and wear a belt" was too funny. I often say kids these days will run naked one day with the pants under their knees :D

The pantomime about season 2 was funny. They seemed all a bit nervous in the beginning (did I hear Tom´s voice shaking a bit in the beginning?) but the interviewer was really great (however her accent was very strong! :D ) so the managed to relax.

And I am generally very happy we got that one in full, some new photos as well and that Tom seems happy and well. I am just so glad Loki worked out the way it did. Few freaky fans and twitter hate aside, he can be proud and the people in the room loved him. Him showing up later for the photo at cosplay was great as well.
I got exactly what I wanted from the MCM (except that I couldn´t be there! :D ), and more. Let´s hope he won´t go into a mole mode again for a few weeks now (he probably will but what do we know)! :D

Reactions: 7

NonDairyQueen

VIP Member
@Jara many of the bullets you've highlighted in your post are accurate for us too! We ain't the best country in the world, specially when it comes to adoption laws.
I was talking about that subject with a friend the other day and, even if we are a very multicultural country, I dare to say that 50% of the population is European descend after WWII, we still got issues. If I were to pin point where we struggle the most would be transphobia despite the fact that we were the 1st country in Latin America to become LGBTQ+ friendly.
Sorry that I brought up my social activism to the forum a little bit too strong, this is what happens when LMR gets carried away with passion-driven subjects!
WHERE IS THE RED SWEATER WE GOT PROMISED (???)

Well that's utter bullshit if you ask me! I do understand what you are saying, don't get me wrong. I just hate the fact that some people feel that way and projects like his get canned due to that concept.
There is a huge problem with 'performance activism' in the West- people who protest things so they can say they are socially aware on Social media but then don't do anything to help solve those issues themselves- pull down statues to slave owners from a hundred years ago but don't know anything about modern slavery and don't question how they can get their nails done for £3 or who is smuggling their line of Coke onto their dinner table. Or go on climate change marches, dump their litter everywhere and then decide to go skiing and backpack their way round the Far East. Its all part of that. $3 a day can make a massive difference to reducing infant mortality in the poorest countries. I think they would rather have clean running water than worry about White Saviors.

Jara

VIP Member
I had such a great day today....an unexpected day off....so...this is Tom related, so stay with me :D
I will be moving to a new flat in November...a reconstructed flat after my grandmum, it is only one floor below (I live in the cold attic now :D ), and as I had a day off, other than spend even more money in local bookstore and for good coffee, I tried to move some stuff in there. I still have to figure out bedroom and so, but the only furniture I am not going to move anymore is the new one in living room. I wanted a lot of bookshelves....so I have these expensive magazines, bought through the years....the "I am not going to read them ever again but they were expensive so I am keeping them anyway", like Doctor Who magazine, Empire....and I found an old Empire magazine with Loki on the cover! I was like....what the hell! I had no idea! It was special double cover for Thor 2, one was apparently with Chris but I guess I was lucky (maybe back then unlucky because they just had this one as there is literally only one shop in the whole country where you can buy them and they only order a limited number because you can buy two lunches for the price :D ).
It was as if I found a new content online just like those photos from the premiere appeared. And it is pretty extensive, there is a huge part about Tom and with Tom....especially the last part is funny when you think that he got his show. Too bad that the movie itself was not too good in the end and the brotherly relationship is about 10 minutes of the movie (the best part). There are also some stories Tom keeps saying til these days (how he asked Christ to smack him for real in Avengers). I took some crappy photos on my phone :D

Attachments

• Heart

LetMeRamble

VIP Member
So....he does read this board, right?
...duh...hi, Tom :D
That sneaky little bastard!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

FINALLY HE PAID ATTENTION AND THANK YOU FOR COMING BACK...sorta

I'm so happy he is using his 10M followers for a good cause!
Love ya, Tommy!

• Heart

db131

VIP Member
I just came back to this and nearly fainted! This is exactly what we want him to do though- use his platform to promote causes he cares about, and what he’s doing which is lending his platform to a minority voice like he did last year. I am beyond pleased.

Just saying Tom, if you do lurk here, I also think it would be really great for humanity if you wore your glasses and read poetry in a tight white shirt. It’s not for us, it’s to make the world a better place!

• Haha

LetMeRamble

VIP Member
The thing that broke my heart during that panel is when he is talking about being on time and in the end he adds that he was not always on time and that advice was not him trying to stand on the higher ground or something like that. Man, that took me back to the whole GG thing and how he was scarred by it and how careful he is now to not sound full of himself or anything.
He wasn't all that bad at the GG speech! It was the fucker from TMZ that told him that the internet hated him. That's when he went 'well, oh fuck...what just happened?'
If you watch that video you can see how the happiness of wining that award flew out of his face in a blink of an eye

Righ, I’m on the train back home so here it is.

Tom looked happy but sometimes a bit bored 🤣 He took a lot of time to reply certain questions and was generally serious but adorable if you know what I mean. At some point he was replying to something and clearly thinking about the answer as he went and started to absently play with hir hair, rolling a curl on his fingers. Freaking ADORABLE!

he was a bit fidgety but I guess that’s just how he is. He talked about Owen and how nice he is etc and how they all wished he was there. Not a word about his current projects unfortunately but he wasn’t asked so…

he was constantly running his fingers through the back of his hair, that might be the replacement for his previous tendency to touch his neck during interviews. I wonder what they put on hir hair cause it was like “floating” on his neck instead of resting and even with all the touching (by Tom himself, not me unfortunately) it held in place.

I saw him again on his way to his photo op. He had an army of people around him, like 6 or 7 while other folks crossing the same area had 1 or 2 members of staff with them.

• Heart

Jara

VIP Member
Wait, did you guys just have discussion about the PCA photo, which was randomly chosen and is not even a current one? :D

Watching the Making of Loki documentary showed the opposite. He was so alive.
Also, he looked so great at the comic con, so alive and his eyes were sparkling. So he got a few wrinkles around his eyes, which may make him look old but I don´t think he seems unhappy. And that he has a hole in his sweather? He is a guy, a man. Yes, one who cares about his looks (because he is an actor) but still a man. He is not going to the theater or some black tie event so he just had a hole in his sweather because it was the first sweather he took in the morning. And btw. I stumbled over a photo yesterday where Tom had a huge hole in his pants on the convention photo a few years back (I would seriously need to search for it now, I think it was somewhere at pinterest....). so it is not like he is doing it only now :)

Also, that Swift thing probably hit him hard. Even today, media and some "fans" love to point it out and throw shit his way. So I think he is back a bit, but carefully and will never be back to his pre 2016 self because experience, bad or good, changes you.
But I have my suspicion that he also decided to reorganise his life a bit back in 2018 (some of the Infinity War promo, you can already see that he really does look like a professor - but then again, it may have something in common with promotinal duties for a movie where your character stupidly dies before opening credits). I had a similar "crisis" in 2017, I quit my job (one where I am back in now because I had to fall down hard to realized how well I was doing), so maybe he did the same thing. I worked non stop since 2010 and I was burnt out (because logistics burns you out in a very short time ;) )
I suspect him going back to theater to do The Betrayal was him going back to his roots and clear his head. And I think he did look great during the Betrayal run (however daily performances are gruelling so, he was just tired by the end of the run). Then he went back filming Loki and TES back to back so I think with the random appearances now, he is sort of "getting back".
But it is really only that he crossed 40. Maybe he reevaluated his life. We don´t know. I cannot assume if he has some family drama at home or something, it is not my business but for me, he looks pretty normal for 40 years old man *shrugs*

Reactions: 6