Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
"When Dan and I decided to get married, we were both adamant that we wanted it to be completely on our terms"

Radical. I can't think of a single couple in the history of ever who have done such a thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 17

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I think it was writing for The Pool that zoned me in to how dreadful she is and now I can't zone out. Her articles were so superior - do as I do, if you don't do as I do and think you are a DUMMY.

Plus the cool- bragging she likes to get in everywhere, once you notice that there's no un-noticing it.
I have absolutely gone off her too in such a big way after being a fan. Her absolute certainty she is right about everything. Based on what? I used to like the old FB group but had a bit of a set-too with her over of all things Britney Spears. Sali was praising Debbie Harry and saying how great she is (she had met her) and I said yes I liked her too and how funny it was that back in the day Blondie were the equivalent of Britney in that they were quite bubblegum pop. O.M.G. The rudeness from SH and the pile on by her minions including that Lauren one (who wasn't even born then so wtaf?) telling me what an idiot I was and how wrong. DH is a cool rock chick, Britney just a marketing executive puppet. Erm it was an opinion so how is it wrong? Anyway I noticed recently Sali saying how she has always loved Britney (as she is now quite retro and Sali is again being oh so ironic and cool).
Sorry for the long dull anecdote but it was such a wierd over the top reaction from her. No debate. No grey areas just 'I'm right - you're a twat'.
She also blocked someone for saying her bezzie friend Caitlin's book was pish. 'How dare someone come on MY group and slag off MY friend. It boils my piss' - was the gist of it.

Reactions: 16

Addabaddaboo

So Sali’s dog isn’t just a dog - she’s a hardened criminal street dog. OK SAL.
Anyway, Glastonbury! Oh god, this is going to be cringe, can’t wait.
Can we do Sali Bingo?
- says ‘absolute scenes’
- mentions SPF, biodegradable glitter, wipes, perfume,
- wears a bumbag
- raucous laughter with a sleb mate, not at all staged
- vegetarianism
- watching a new band that she has loved ‘forever’
- watching a pop band ‘ironically’
- makes out she’s ruffing it in her yurt with shower.

• Haha
Reactions: 15

Addabaddaboo

Sali also started the trend for using gravy browning on her legs and drew a seam up the back with eyeliner.

• Haha
Reactions: 14

maytoseptember

VIP Member
I actually bought Caitlyn Moran’s book. I genuinely thought it was going to be an engaging take on modern feminism, but instead it came across as a pseudo-autobiography, with much bragging about being a teenage intellectual prodigy and shagging rock stars. Not to mention the anecdotes about her childhood and home life that definitely weren’t completely made up for comic effect. And the SHOUTY CAPS. And the “I’m mad, me!” face she pulls in every. single. photo ever taken of her. Give me strength.

On the plus side, it put me on the path to find some proper feminism.

Anyway, that’s all very off topic. Sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: 14

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
LOL at CH and Sali on Twitter about engagement rings now.

Look, I get most people are turned off the diamond-as-dick-size materialism with engagement rings, but it makes me chuckle to see wealthy, privileged women use weddings/rings as way of signalling how down-to-Earth and righteous they are

- My ring was £5 from a vending machine but I made him return it as it was a such vulgar display of wealth
- My ring was from a drinks can found washed-up on a beach!
- My ring was found in a dumpster, and we smeared it in dog shit for good measure

STFU, you don't even pay for your hair.

• Haha
Reactions: 13

SavetheDrama

VIP Member
Just realised my favourite thing about this thread: it’s in the “influencers” category which will totally piss her off 😂 madam would want to be under guru at the very least since she’s such a serious journo+author.

• Haha
D

Deleted member 14542

Heh I noted The Wife. I assume that's so ironic because they are super woke and right on (yet partially Tory).

I actually warmed more to her listening to the family trouble stuff. To be fair she has done extremely well from a rocky, rocky start. She could just package it differently and she'd more easy to admire which I would like to - she's got a great career, and a happy home, set up a charity etc .... but the humble bragging, the cleb friends, the superiority, the unreliable narrator ... makes it tricky.

Last edited by a moderator:

maytoseptember

VIP Member
I so wanted to like Sali but found that I never could. First there were her regular forays onto Mumsnet to berate people for criticising her and her Twitterati mates. She always came across as exceptionally snippy and with barely concealed contempt for ordinary, non-famous, non-media types simmering under the surface. Then came The Pool, which I also really wanted to like, but invariably found myself hating Sali’s articles whether they were about beauty or not (although I got the impression The Pool let her write about whatever she wanted, and she didn’t want to write about beauty).

The final nail in the coffin was Twitter. Just ugh. Sali and her “who needs texting when we can have public conversations on Twitter” mates are just loathsome. I wonder which one is the queen bee? There’s always one. Lauren, Caitlyn, India or Sali?

I used to be such a fan of Lauren Laverne right back to her Kenickie days in the 90s. Well, several weeks of her and Caitlyn Moran (another person I wanted to like but actually can’t stand) clogging up my Twitter feed with their inane banter killed that stone dead.

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
I don’t know the ins and outs of Sali’s relationship with Carey nor does anyone else here - anything written on this thread regarding that is speculative.
Sorry missed this, just catching up on the thread. This isn’t strictly true, my husband did know Carey and knows her partner, Tracyanne etc well. Glasgow music industry is a village in that everybody knows everybody. Anyway he was at her funeral, our daughter was sick so I was home. If I remember right Sali put herself forward to speak at the funeral and there was a lot of “who is she” whispered comments.

Nobody anywhere could have a bad word to say about Carey, she was the sweetest and least self serving person ever. Which is why she would have taken SH at face value.

Reactions: 12

SavetheDrama

VIP Member
She's gotta have somewhere to write that crap since the pool closed down :p
So true! I consider myself a feminist but the Pool was so far up its own ass and fake-woke that it made me seriously hate women (I’m joking 🙃)

slugella

VIP Member
I can already predict when the Queen passes she does an Instagram post and makes it all about her. "It was such a privilege, as an author, to write all about her for my bestselling book."

I honestly don't think I've ever turned off someone as much as I have Sali. I'm ashamed to say I bought her first book, always read her columns and watched her videos. Now she just grates on me.

SavetheDrama

VIP Member
It’s a bit shocking but not a surprise once you analyse her character and her motives. How ugly to shine a light on you when somebody else dies.
Also, how wonderfully working class to be allowed to have WEEKS off for the death of a friend. I was allowed three days off work when my father passed away 🤷‍♀️

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I hated The Pool too. Sali was perfect for it - the attitude of whatever I smugly think is right (basically whatever Caitlin says as the high priestess of that group) and if you don't agree fuck off. I used to read it occasionally just to get nicely irritated.

OolongTea

For Sali Hughes to call herself an author, I'm utterly PERPLEXED by her exclusion of Lisa Eldridge from her book?

[I'm so glad I only purchased them through iBooks and didn't waste money on hardcopies...they were kinda dull and too self-obsessive?]

I know it's not academic writing, but it's still published, so she owes the public correct information. In her section of recommending experts etc., to exclude Lisa Eldridge's YouTube account is equivalent to excluding Plato from an introductory philosophy book or exclude Mendel from introducing the basics of genetics. What Lisa Eldridge did by uploading professional makeup videos, with information that people pay for, was truly RADICAL. She didn't stop her hectic professional life and continued to give updated, industry information/skills for FREE. She also simplified some of her own skills and adapted them so everyday women could learn and incorporate timesaving, yet effective, makeup skills into their lives. When YouTube was inundated with self-taught beauty gurus, bloggers, makeup artists , Lisa's channel was unique and iconic. For all Sali Hughes's talk of democratising beauty etc, no one started it and did it better than Lisa Eldridge and she hasn't made a huge fuss about it because she is properly professional. She's not perfect--I'm always dubious whenever anyone sells their products etc, but she has maintained her integrity when so many only pretend to.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Tell me more😁

They must have been very close though. I’ve just scrolled through Sali’s IG and there’s this photo, it reads as if Sali had a hand in the organisation of the funeral.
What an odd thing to do - take a photo at your friend's funeral and put it on Instagram (whilst thanking Chanel). Just seems a bit off.

Gulster

Sali has turned her face into the accepted look for the *we who never grow old* model.
Sunken eyes, pillows for cheeks, massive forehead finished off with the infamous pouting lips. Her lovely healthy little face of yore has left the building.
To me this is really sad. This once secure,proud to be 40, popular guardian columnist has reduced to producing vacuous nonsense books and selling/blagging via her Instagram shop.
The sticking point is that these over plumped women never ever ever look younger, just weirder.

SavetheDrama

VIP Member
Anybody else think it’s funny how she mentioned Tattle only a couple of weeks after somebody tried hard to defend her here and then disappeared? 😏

Dear Sali,
We don’t care whether you had plastic surgery or fillers or anything. We care about your toxic dishonesty: if you claim you haven’t had any work done and push expensive creams claiming they’ll make us all look as youthful as you, that’s (pretty) dishonest. If you need to be dragged kicking and screaming to declare an ad or a gift, that’s (pretty) dishonest.
We also care about how rude you are to anybody who doesn’t spread rose petals at your feet: why not foster honest conversation on your groups and forums? How can you call yourself a journalist and then shut down any form of debate? Calling us trolls won’t erase our valid concerns.

Sincerely,
A Tattler who was conned into buying both your books when she still believed you were honest and cared about your followers.

• Heart

Ella77

A lot of posters here (including me) are just disappointed in her. I was a fan of hers for a long time, but it’s only recently when the regulations changed that it became apparent just how many of the things she posted about were in fact not paid for. Case in point all those Hershesons haircuts and blow dries. Those are not press samples. She was constantly plugging that salon without saying that everything she had done was for free. It matters. It matters when ordinary people spend their hard-earned money (£150+) on a fancy haircut because they took her recommendations at face value. It matters when they splash out £75 on a moisturiser she recommended, when in fact the smooth state of her brow is down to undeclared botox, not a rich night cream. She’s been Pretty Dishonest.

Reactions: 10

Ella77

I remember the previous Mumsnet flip-out. The thing that bugs me is that she (and the others) don't ever seem to look at the reason behind the threads before going DEFCON 1. Many of us were fans of her work (or at least quite liked her on the whole) until it gradually became apparent (especially following January this year) that she's been playing us for mugs. We're not mean girls having a go for no reason. Many of us feel misled and ripped off by what we *thought* was impartial advice. Sali, if you're reading, please consider that before setting your dogs on us.

And before anybody says it, I. have no issue with influencers* being sent free samples to review. (I do take issue with how much they get, but that's another story.) I really, REALLY take issue with them being paid to shill us products without declaring their business relationships.

* sorry, Sali, mate. You are one though.

Reactions: 10