Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

PJMcZ

She’s got a right nerve laying down the law on social media about what Glastonbury is/ what it means/ what people should think about.

2017, as she wrote about in the Guardian column then, was the only time she’d been since she was a teenager (or had allegedly been – given how poverty-stricken/ homeless she claims to have been back then I’m not sure how she could have afforded the ticket, travel etc. Yet another tale that doesn’t stack up). So this was potentially only the second time she’s ever actually been, and yet thinks she has the authority to aggressively tell other people what to think about it simply because she writes make-up reviews in the paper and Caitlin Moran uses her as her tag-along personal sycophant.

She’s totally lost the plot in the last couple of years - it’s actually weird how awful she’s become in such a relatively short period of time. Doesn’t she complain that was her mother was a horrible narcissist? History repeating maybe.

Reactions: 9

Spilttea

VIP Member
Sali talks out of her arse most of the time. She gives it the big un on Twitter cos that’s what most of the literati do on Twitter. Let’s talk about feminism and racism and homophobia and all the isms and let’s hear me talking to my good friend and ultimate feminist Caitlin “I grew up poor-not really” Moran and let me discuss diversity and ethnicity with my good friend and epitome of diverse Britain India frigging Knight.

Sali and her band of right on wimmin mates are like characters from WA1, deluded and out of touch but still employed because they say the right buzzwords.

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
“...She does have form for pushing herself into people’s lives if she thinks she can get a bit of credibility out of them. She left a lot of people in Glasgow scratching their heads in a ‘where did she appear from’ way.”

Is this in regards to Cary?
Yes. Carey was just member of her forum due to her quite genuine love of all things make-up, especially a damn good lipstick and fragrance. When SH discovered she was in an influential band she completely smothered her and Carey was soon referred to as one of her bezzies. Carey was just too good and too decent to ever say much but she already had plenty of good mates, she wasn’t really looking for another. A lot of her close mates thought SH’s insertion of herself as chief friend and the most upset of everyone as extremely bizarre.

• Wow
D

Deleted member 14542

SH tweeted on Saturday that she doesn't dye her hair, in response to a feminist ishoo, how do I know then that she must use SLS free dye?

I have long found her irritating and inconsistent, but also unable to look away, so it's been interesting to finally read some other people have noticed. I've never understood how 'opinion' is considered 'journalism' but that was just the start of where she got up my nose. The smug Think Like Me Or Your Dumb articles, the 'my first disco I wore red lippy, a Smiths tshirt, and Channel No '5, the twitter buddy club love in. I did enjoy her doing Laverne's dirty work on the demise of The Pool - which apparently Laverne was oblivious to and barely troubled by.

It's all fascinating. Unreliable narrators, in love with their own cool, secure that they are Right about everything. And all for us to read everywhere on the various "socials".

I pay more attention to CH's advise - I like her more and her face is very movable. (I have been shook by the SH botox talk - I hadn't noticed, or believed it was all in the skincare. How naive of me).

Last edited by a moderator:

Girl meister

One of things that gets me with this girl clique is that as much as these lot moan about 'jobs for the boys' they fail to realise that in fact they are just as bad.... there is a group of these (some with bugger all talent apart from being in the right place at the right time) that seem to be everywhere - all at the same events, all the same promo events and therefore all promoting the same shit different day. Sali doesn't really know what group she wants to be in which is some ways is part of her downfall. She wants to hang around with the likes of your Lauren Laverne (not a great deal of talent but poster girl for the BBC token woman) Caitlin Moran - (i'm mad me) and India Knight (in fairness she does have the nouse) but lacks the intelligence really to be in that clique; the other group she associates with is probably more her level which are your professional schillers, the Hirons, Crilly, Pebbles and The Anna Edit (so bland I can't remember her surname) either way both sets of groups seems to crop up everywhere. If there is an event to be had they are at it.... it is a closed clique and very hard for any new talent (which probably has more than these lot) to break into it. Part of the reason Sali is so defensive is I think her insecurity that one day she will be found out for what she is 'an imposter' its all the Emperors New Clothes or to coin another phrase which I am sure she would hate which is why I will put it here for her to read 'all fur coat and no knickers'

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Oh yes, she’s loved squalene “her entire life”. Despite first mentioning it late last year. Love it. Have that. Got it.
Argh the 'Love it. Have that. Got it' is so her! Should be the name of her new collection of previously published articles or, as she likes to call it, book.

Reactions: 8
Never. Happened.
Now she’s having a Twitter tantrum because some adults who went through parental divorce in childhood are saying that they were much older when they processed what had happened. I’m not anti divorce btw but she’s now raging at other people’s opinions.

SavetheDrama

VIP Member
Indeed. First hit for me is an article on her site (from 2013) “Am I The Only One Not Getting Botox?” 😂
Next year on the blog: Botox. Love it. Used it for decades. Knew about it since before women started injecting themselves with Polyfilla.

Gulster

"I don't know Alex at all so this isn't specifically re her but I wish influencers, including Sali Hughes, would just bloody stop with the propaganda that a lined skin is an ugly shameful skin you need to lie about. "

This times a million.
To be continually reminded to age is the biggest sin so get your wallet out and don't offend our eyes with your frown lines. Unless of course you're male then you don't even have to shave or cut your hair. Men get lazier as women near exploding from fillers, botox, boob and bum surgery while all claim to be feminist. It's hilarious how backward current trends have gone.

Palm23

Someone on the guardian column pointed out Sali's trip to the sustainability confidence was sponsored by Aveda and asked if this posed a conflict of interest. And surprise surprise it was rmeoved by mods....

• Wow

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
She must be an extremely unpleasant person to be around. A rare combo of stuck-up, aggressive, ignorant and entitled. It’s not that hard to do research on products especially when it’s supposed to be part of her “job”. Her inability to take any kind of criticism is really at odds with her career choice.
Don't forget the chip on her shoulder about being 'working class'. Her inability to take criticism is very closely linked to that other irritating trait - her unwillingness to ever acknowledge someone might know something or own something she doesn't eg in the Bathroom series 'yes, Love' 'yes had it for years'. Why not ever even say 'oh how interesting - tell me all about it and why you like it'. The most intelligent people I know are endlessly curious and wear their intelligence lightly ie not showing off. AND CAN TAKE CRITICISM.

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
I've followed this thread for a while. Used to love SH but agree with everything being said here and don't follow her anymore. Dr Sam Bunting has much better skincare advice and is much much more qualified.

Anyway, I just saw her Instagram post about Judith Kerr sadly passing away. Even in that she had to say "every one of us authors" just to remind everyone that she has published books too! It would usually be an innocent comment but she's just so up her own arse that it made me roll my eyes in response.
Sali Hughes an Author? A collection of her cosmetic must haves as a young woman dressed up as a book does not place her in the same room as Judith Kerr .

Her ego knows no bounds.

Girl meister

This #presstreatment bollocks is so shady. We all know its just free stuff in lieu of social
Media posting so let’s stop the pretence it is bloody embarrassing.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I've followed this thread for a while. Used to love SH but agree with everything being said here and don't follow her anymore. Dr Sam Bunting has much better skincare advice and is much much more qualified.

Anyway, I just saw her Instagram post about Judith Kerr sadly passing away. Even in that she had to say "every one of us authors" just to remind everyone that she has published books too! It would usually be an innocent comment but she's just so up her own arse that it made me roll my eyes in response.
Instant irritation at that Insta post. Sali could say 'it's a sunny day' and I know it would put my back up for some reason. It's the way she seems to think her views are so unusual and quirky because she is so outspoken and feisty of course. And the #goals hashtag. Argh argh argh. And to put herself in the league as Judith Kerr!!! Did anyone see the Sir John In the Bathroom? I watched one to get annoyed (he seems lovely btw not that I know who he is) and she did her usual thing of everything he mentioned 'yes I've got that' 'yes I've loved that for years' interspersed with some truly cringe 'street' talk eg 'so what is your jam?'
I really used to like her years ago. I just don't know what changed tbh.

RayRayJay

This thread! I came acroos it searching for some concealer recommendations and it's just confirmed all my Sali doubts! I've just sat and read the whole thing.

I used to love her column and then read Pretty Honest and started to get confused. It made me mad that I'd read most of it before and also that some things she says are so specific to her (like how to wash your hair or shave your legs) that I thought it was weird she was offereing out advice on how to do them. But the thing that made me first suspicious of her motives was when she said she'd been using some sort of face blade "for years" but in the book says you must never ever ever take a razor to your face.

An earlier post mentions her pedalling a £40 scrunchie. Just been scrolling through her IG and came across a post ewith a quote from Pretty Honest:

"the scrunchie comes in limitless guises, all of them abhorent".

I haven't read the book for a while but I am pretty sure she does say in there that she gets botox. I recall something about having a good friend called India who makes sure she doesn't go too far.

Last thing for now. She's so bloody humourless and rude to people! A picture of her make up brushes and someone made a comment about not having time to clean them. "no." she said, "I have other brushes that are used and cleaned regularly, these are just all my extra ones" or something along those lines.

Actually, one last last thing. This article - https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/sali-hughes-wedding-beauty "I ONLY HAVE FRIENDS WHO ARE AT THE VERY TOP OF THEIR GAME BUT I'M SO HUMBLE AND QUAINT THAT I HAD MY RECEPTION AT A LOCAL EATERIE - VEGETARIAN OF COURSE"

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I don't know Alex at all so this isn't specifically re her but I wish influencers, including Sali Hughes, would just bloody stop with the propaganda that a lined skin is an ugly shameful skin you need to lie about. One of the very worst (and this is off topic) was a thing I saw recently on QVC. A sort of bizarre pulsating mask to stop wrinkles for about £300. The presenter was waffling on about how it could 'fight' aging and then said 'and you can even lend it to your daughter when she first starts showing the signs of aging'. Wtaf. I was so cross I emailed them about it. Haven't heard back.

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
Why doesn't she put her makeup on at home rather than on a filthy train in front of strangers.
I suspect partly because she wants to be called up on it so that she can have a massive go at the person, to regale her luvvies on Twitter 'then everyone in the carriage clapped'

• Haha