Sali Hughes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's gotta have somewhere to write that crap since the pool closed down :p
So true! I consider myself a feminist but the Pool was so far up its own ass and fake-woke that it made me seriously hate women (I’m joking 🙃)

Reactions: 12
Anyone know what advice she had for Meghan about raising a feminist boy ?

I’d have thought you’d advise the same things regardless of gender ; be kind , don’t be an hole , don’t judge and above all DO NOT TALK ABOUT COSMETIC SURGERY OR BOTOX!!

😉 <———not eye surgery.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I just went back on this thread and I never knew she had a beef with Lisa Eldridge. I have her book (I know, I know...I was duped), and I was surprised at the time that the OG queen of YT makeup tutorial was not mentioned.
I think Lisa is just on the level they all aspire to be and despite their cries of feminism they can't stand to see another woman succeed above them (Gleamers, pixiwoo - are they with gleam too? "Lady Hirons", etc).
I always found Lisa's to be some of the few YT videos I can even stand to watch (maybe my age is showing but every time I hear a high pitched HEY GUYYYS from a YTer I tend to grind my teeth :D).

Reactions: 5
I just went back on this thread and I never knew she had a beef with Lisa Eldridge. I have her book (I know, I know...I was duped), and I was surprised at the time that the OG queen of YT makeup tutorial was not mentioned.
I think Lisa is just on the level they all aspire to be and despite their cries of feminism they can't stand to see another woman succeed above them (Gleamers, pixiwoo - are they with gleam too? "Lady Hirons", etc).
I always found Lisa's to be some of the few YT videos I can even stand to watch (maybe my age is showing but every time I hear a high pitched HEY GUYYYS from a YTer I tend to grind my teeth :D).
There's been speculation about this for years over on the 'other site', mainly why Lisa was never in Sali's In the Bathroom series: I always assumed Sali felt envious or threatened by her but someone mentioned they were both in a relationship with the same photographer years ago and it would have made things awkward ( or something like that).

Reactions: 1
There's been speculation about this for years over on the 'other site', mainly why Lisa was never in Sali's In the Bathroom series: I always assumed Sali felt envious or threatened by her but someone mentioned they were both in a relationship with the same photographer years ago and it would have made things awkward ( or something like that).
Meh, how childish if that's the case (unless they were dating him at the same time and didn't know? Now that would be awkward :D)

Reactions: 1
So true! I consider myself a feminist but the Pool was so far up its own ass and fake-woke that it made me seriously hate women (I’m joking 🙃)
The thing that annoyed me most about it was when it closed down Sali was tweeting a gofundme to pay all the freelancers.
duck off and pay them some of your own ad earnings!!

Reactions: 7
I hated The Pool too. Sali was perfect for it - the attitude of whatever I smugly think is right (basically whatever Caitlin says as the high priestess of that group) and if you don't agree duck off. I used to read it occasionally just to get nicely irritated.

Reactions: 12
The thing that annoyed me most about it was when it closed down Sali was tweeting a gofundme to pay all the freelancers.
duck off and pay them some of your own ad earnings!!
exactly, she must be raking it on. Her clothes are always super expensive. She had TWO Vampire Wives dresses for her wedding!

Reactions: 6
I hated The Pool too. Sali was perfect for it - the attitude of whatever I smugly think is right (basically whatever Caitlin says as the high priestess of that group) and if you don't agree duck off. I used to read it occasionally just to get nicely irritated.
It was mostly liked by all the journos who wrote for it.

Reactions: 2
Same, and the incredibly low levels of literacy among the writers were quite something to behold. Fake woke is exactly right.

Reactions: 4
I'm quite depressed by some of the comments about Sali Hughes. I joined this forum to call out underhand money grabbing by Instagrammers/'Influencers'. Sali Hughes isn't an Instagrammer, she's a journalist. She isn't paid to promote brands or products. She is sent press samples, tries them and then writes about the good ones. At all price points. She's bound to have friends in the industry, after all these years, and it's probably fair to say that they wouldn't be friends if they sold rubbish. Normal folk tend to befriend people they admire.

There's a big difference between SH and, for instance, Ruth Crilly. Sali Hughes doesn't accept free dishwashers or write about how good Tiddles cat food is. She doesn't post cooking videos, hoping to get free food. She doesn't post big hints about needing trees for her garden or some ceiling lights. And, crucially, she doesn't compromise her children by featuring them nearly every damned day.

I don't care if she's had fillers or Botox. I've not noticed anything different about her, but good for her if she wants to correct something that she sees as a flaw. I would if I could, and I'm not in the public domain.

It's a mistake to get distracted by jealousy. Let's all stick to calling out those who are actually guilty of something.
I’m sorry but the jealousy trope is a tired one. Why assume anybody who doesn’t like her is jealous? Not everybody has that life as an ultimate goal and to be honest I don’t think you can make assumptions about the lives of the people behind the avatars.
I’m actually more annoyed at Sali than I am at Ruth because Sali is a journalist and there is no denying she has sold out, so unfortunately her advice can not be trusted anymore.
I followed her for a long time and her advice is not as unbiased as it once was.
I don’t think anybody here gives a hoot that she had fillers and botox, it’s the dishonesty and the lack of disclosure that does people’s heads in.
Thinking she’s not in bed with Charlotte Tilbury is incredibly naive. Please don’t assume all journalists are beyond reproach, it is absolutely not the case.

Reactions: 6
The problem is that some of the comments read as though they have come out of jealousy. I'm making no assumptions about people's lives, just reading what has been written! On which point, please don't assume that I am naïve! (Whoops. See what you did there?) I choose my journalism carefully, which is why I read the Guardian, not a Murdoch rag. I have no problem with Sali Hughes, other than that her column on a Saturday is getting stale. I think there's a limit to how much can be said on one subject, and I suspect that is why it sometimes reads as though she's promoting rather than recommending.
I’m afraid you started with the assumption (jealousy) and I followed by assuming as well. I feel you may have been a little hasty in skimming this thread since you commented that people were slagging her off for alleged fillers and Botox. I found that all the comments related to that were complaining about the lack of disclosure and how that affects what her readers may think about the products she recommends. If she is using cosmetic surgery and not disclosing it, but crediting creams with her youthful appearance, she is a liar.
That doesn’t mean people are hating on her looks. Anyway you’re allowed your opinion on her so we can call it and agree to disagree, I’m sure 😊

Save the drama has hit the nail on the head regards what she does to her face.
I have yet to meet anyone even slightly jealous of any kind of influencer. It's been done to death. What an odious way to make a living. Flogging stuff you don't pay for while pretending you're not.
She goes to great lengths to avoid #AD because it would then reveal just how much of a shop her Instagram has become.

Sali Hughes isn't an Instagrammer, she's a journalist. She isn't paid to promote brands or products. She is sent press samples, tries them and then writes about the good ones. At all price points.
Praise be. We've been sent good weather ;)

Joking aside, really bored of the jealousy line. What she does to play with her face is no one's business, but flogging expensive products (her 'affordable' stuff is an exception in her Graun columns) pretending the squaline oil/foundation/train make-up is doing the trick is disingenuous and [pretty] dishonest.

A lot of posters here (including me) are just disappointed in her. I was a fan of hers for a long time, but it’s only recently when the regulations changed that it became apparent just how many of the things she posted about were in fact not paid for. Case in point all those Hershesons haircuts and blow dries. Those are not press samples. She was constantly plugging that salon without saying that everything she had done was for free. It matters. It matters when ordinary people spend their hard-earned money (£150+) on a fancy haircut because they took her recommendations at face value. It matters when they splash out £75 on a moisturiser she recommended, when in fact the smooth state of her brow is down to undeclared botox, not a rich night cream. She’s been Pretty Dishonest.

Reactions: 10
Agree. I was a Sali fan for a long time and never had a problem with her being sent fre stuff for product testing. But I now realise she was getting a lot more for free than she was letting on - like £300 haircuts which she promoted to her FB following etc.

I'm quite depressed by some of the comments about Sali Hughes. I joined this forum to call out underhand money grabbing by Instagrammers/'Influencers'. Sali Hughes isn't an Instagrammer, she's a journalist. She isn't paid to promote brands or products. She is sent press samples, tries them and then writes about the good ones. At all price points. She's bound to have friends in the industry, after all these years, and it's probably fair to say that they wouldn't be friends if they sold rubbish. Normal folk tend to befriend people they admire.

There's a big difference between SH and, for instance, Ruth Crilly. Sali Hughes doesn't accept free dishwashers or write about how good Tiddles cat food is. She doesn't post cooking videos, hoping to get free food. She doesn't post big hints about needing trees for her garden or some ceiling lights. And, crucially, she doesn't compromise her children by featuring them nearly every damned day.

I don't care if she's had fillers or Botox. I've not noticed anything different about her, but good for her if she wants to correct something that she sees as a flaw. I would if I could, and I'm not in the public domain.

It's a mistake to get distracted by jealousy. Let's all stick to calling out those who are actually guilty of something.
Erm, except she actually is paid to promote things, usually disguised as “brand consultation” think along the lines of the guardian column that was an entire plug for Clinique.

And the “kindly gifted” haircuts and press samples, payment in product for exposure. No different to AMR it’s just she stays in the lane of beauty rather than branching out into an interiors account.

The fact that you disagree with the content of the posts doesn’t render them to be jealousy.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.