Sali Hughes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
*AS IF LAUREN LAVERNE IS WORKING CLASS - 1 parent a teacher, t'other a university academic.
[/QUOTE]

Yes - this^^^ Just being from “oop north” and deciding not to go to uni as you were doing very well in your music and presenting careers, does not make you working class, when your dad was a Professor

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Grace Dent was HUGE on Twitter years ago. I never followed her but used to see her all the time via retweets. Didn’t she even write a (really tedious sounding) book about Being Twitter Popular?

Maybe that’s why she was allowed in their gang, but when her popularity waned...
Yes she did. I think GD was an early Twitter adopter so was quite high ranking in terms of Twitter cool. Moran steamrollered in and wanted to be the “who likes me best” person. I think GD couldn’t be arsed, but not sure what happened.

SH as someone said just totally pushed her way in to try and be part of, what she considered, the popular girl gang. She was sycophantic enough to get past the initiation. At times it is comedy gold. She does have form for pushing herself into people’s lives if she thinks she can get a bit of credibility out of them. She left a lot of people in Glasgow scratching their heads in a ‘where did she appear from’ way.

GD's book was 'How To Leave Twitter: My Time as Queen of the Universe and Why This Must Stop' (I just looked it up, my surveillance of all this is pretty nuts but I'm not nuts enough to retain that title all these years).

Yeah, it's from the dark ages before Twitter was the hot breath of hell. She seems to have withdrawn from all socials - there's little activity on her Instagram either. I still really like Grace, I'm just intrigued in a 'who's in with the in crowd' way. I reckon she thinks it's all proper naff.

Before she disappeared from Twitter, bar pimping out her restaurant reviews (who cares), she was talking about imminent publication of a book - her life in food or something.

Reactions: 1
How was Sali invited back to the Late Night Women's Hour? I am listening to the episode on arguments and I am cringing. She of course, did manage to mention her vegetarianism, Tory Husband and the fact a friend decided to leave her long-term partner at Sali's wedding (erm, did you have permission from said friend to share that story?)

• Sick
Reactions: 3
I know someone who attended Sali’s wedding - true fact! Sadly I’m more friendly with her sister so didn’t get any gossip.

• Wow
OT but Grace Dent seems to have a place on Apprentice: You're Fired each year now. I hope I'm not the only one who still watches that lol

“...She does have form for pushing herself into people’s lives if she thinks she can get a bit of credibility out of them. She left a lot of people in Glasgow scratching their heads in a ‘where did she appear from’ way.”

Is this in regards to Cary?

Reactions: 2
I've always been intrigued by that friendship.

“...She does have form for pushing herself into people’s lives if she thinks she can get a bit of credibility out of them. She left a lot of people in Glasgow scratching their heads in a ‘where did she appear from’ way.”

Is this in regards to Cary?
Yes. Carey was just member of her forum due to her quite genuine love of all things make-up, especially a damn good lipstick and fragrance. When SH discovered she was in an influential band she completely smothered her and Carey was soon referred to as one of her bezzies. Carey was just too good and too decent to ever say much but she already had plenty of good mates, she wasn’t really looking for another. A lot of her close mates thought SH’s insertion of herself as chief friend and the most upset of everyone as extremely bizarre.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I did think she was taking a lot of ownership of Carey's death.

I remember SH having an epo about Cerys Matthew's pronouncing Carey wrong when she did a tribute on her 6 music radio show the weekend she passed away.

• Angry
Yes. Carey was just member of her forum due to her quite genuine love of all things make-up, especially a damn good lipstick and fragrance. When SH discovered she was in an influential band she completely smothered her and Carey was soon referred to as one of her bezzies. Carey was just too good and too decent to ever say much but she already had plenty of good mates, she wasn’t really looking for another. A lot of her close mates thought SH’s insertion of herself as chief friend and the most upset of everyone as extremely bizarre.
Bloody hell, did she only know her through the forum then? I had assumed they must have been friends of years.

Ohhh! Now I’d seen Sali all over social media/The Guardian talking about Carey (who I’d never been aware of prior to her death - I knew of Camera Obscura but that was all) and fundraising. I genuinely believed that they were close friends! I had no idea she was simply a member of Sali’s forum who Sali befriended. What a shocker!

Omg I didn't know that at all. I thought Sali must've known her for donkey's years - she took weeks off her Guardian column to get over a close bereavement. Not saying it wasn't a good friendship obviously but it does seem a bit odd.

Reactions: 6
She does seem like a bit of a collector of cleb friends. She's great mates with Gary Kemp from Spandex Ballet isn't she?

There was no long, close friendship with Carey. SH honed in after discovering who she was on her forum. She did do the big fundraising thing, but the money raised was about Carey as a person, not SH being selfless, she didn’t exactly keep a low profile while doing it. There are people who do things for charity and then there are people who tell everyone that THEY are doing things for charity.

Reactions: 7
It’s a bit shocking but not a surprise once you analyse her character and her motives. How ugly to shine a light on you when somebody else dies.
Also, how wonderfully working class to be allowed to have WEEKS off for the death of a friend. I was allowed three days off work when my father passed away 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 12
I absolutely thought Hughes and Carey were long time friends who went decades back before Carey died.

SH talked about visiting her in hospital and giving her a pedicure ( didn’t C lose her leg at some point?) massaging her and spraying perfume around her.

I’m very surprised, she made it sound like she organised the funeral .

I absolutely thought Hughes and Carey were long time friends who went decades back before Carey died.
Not at all, SH just tried to make it sound like that. That is pretty much what she does though, once she manages to install herself in peoples lives. You would think she had decades of friendship with Caitlin Moran etc but actually hasn’t.

Carey hadn’t lost a leg but had some extremely serious surgery on one of them.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.