Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Wobblehead

VIP Member
I completely believe Becky was real but I don't believe that she was a full on contributor to this site. The odd comment maybe. All this 'I was worried my family might find out' Christ we are not plotting a terror attack, money laundering or selling drugs, this isn't Breaking Bad.

• Haha
Reactions: 18

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
Got rid of our bath. Thought we never have baths so why bother. Major regrets now. Shaving legs in a shower cubicles is much harder!
I remember seeing an amazon review for a 'shower sex foot rest' with lots of women saying how brill it was for leg shaving.

• Haha

Skiddidlydaddle

Chatty Member
First thing that struck me about the hairdresser stories thing is that her skin looks amazing in the first story. Incredibly smooth and glowing. Hair looks fine, but yes, exactly the same as before. I'm impressed by her level of grey (virtually nil) considering she says she doesnt dye it too.

POSITIVE POST. EXPECTING DELETION IN 3.2.1...

• Haha

MakkaPakka

VIP Member
Pointless off topic “update” - now have VWxH&M dress. I actually really like it, the length is great on me but that means that yep, it’s super short.
Tempted to get the cape now 😞
Earlier in this thread I said I didn't like the H&M collection. Would you like to meet for coffee so that I can confess?! I'm an nice mum! Not terribly affluent-looking I'm afraid.
🤷‍♀️

• Haha

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
From today's column about washing your "downstairs" she mentions a product "approved by gynaecologists for use everywhere, including the outer vulva". Every gynecologist will tell you NOT to use anything other than water. Outer, inner, sideways vulva just use water. Let your vulva just be!

Won't comment on "menopausal" skincare. Stupid marketing angle.

• Heart

LyraBalaqua

VIP Member
Don’t Kylie and Kim both have very successful make up and perfume lines, yet Sali the Beauty Editor of The Guardian wouldn’t recognise them?

Sure Sali

• Haha

Mselvista

VIP Member
She’s just keepin’ it real. Showing that she is discerning & can see through the smoke & mirrors & determine what is actually good as opposed to ‘perceived quality’. It adds to her brand cachet of honesty, sound judgement & great taste. Never mind that it doesn’t jive with her sustainability expertise or that she is easily popped in the pockets of big brands (dressing for Leonard) for the right price. We are meant to thank her for liberating us from the middle-clasd tyranny of Nespresso & Dualit and feel grateful that we have her blessing to eat Curly Wurlys and Walkers cheese & onion. She’s a taste-maker, early adopter & opinion former and her views COUNT.
Also a bit of the cool girl thing with eating junk food. Similar to that pathetic "dare me" Welsh cakes tweet. I mean, ffs, she's a woman in her 40s. Attention seeking twat.

• Haha
  • Heart

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
Bless. She is really trying to dig herself into the IG influencer circle. Jamie Genevieve is another that Sali wouldn’t have passed the time of day with before. Now she just sees the potential new followers. It’s just all a massive shillfest.

How long can the Guardian keep paying someone with such obvious conflicts of interest. Do they just not care anymore to even pretend impartiality?

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
I am actually feeling a bit embarrassed for her this week. The dreadful unflattering, patchy makeup application in the videos and those cringe Hush photo ads. Not a great week for the credibility in shillville.

• Haha

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
That cheap column could have been inspired by IKs Thrift book. I had a go myself when I was supposed to be doing overtime today.

Spendy - Funeral pyre with mahogany coffin, paid mourners
Cheap - Put them in the bin. They're dead, they won't care

Spendy - Bespoke individually cut glass receptacle full of rare breed wheat pasta and artisanal sauce by your inhouse chef
Cheap - Bin-dipped (freegan!) mac n cheese

Spendy - Finest rare vintage wines procured by your man with auction house contacts *taps nose*
Cheap - Poteen by your own hand - so eco friendly!

Spendy - Buy tea plantation and have them grow your preferred brew
Cheap - Gravy browning in water. If your budget won't stretch, mud will do.

Spendy - Bribe African warlord to acquire the very best and largest blood diamonds, have them fashioned into deeley boppers
Cheap - Roll up some tin foil , stick it to your pov rags with some scavenged pavement chewing gum

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart

Shineyshine

VIP Member
A small observation, but for years Sali has banged on about how eyeliner should not be worn on the waterline, as it gives an 'old fashioned' look. I have never agreed with her on that, but this new look she's rocking (everything she's previously been scathing of: visible botox/fillers, foundation a shade or two darker than your skin, huge manicured eyebrows, loads of highlighter) includes eyeliner on the waterline. It's hardly Watergate, but I am genuinely baffled by this transformation, and the ease with which she has pivoted to instagrammer after years of flat-out snark towards 'instagram make up', influencers and certain makeup looks. What is the game plan here?

And I agree that this transformation also includes the sellout of her ITB series, which she has previously claimed is not advertorial for celebs/brands. I mean, that ship sailed a while ago, but it would be interesting to see her at least attempt to find an interviewee who isn't actively promoting something.
Thing is with Sali is she has such definitive opinions on things that she leaves no room for a change of that opinion on things. We all change our minds about stuff all the time, but she is always so scathing of the opposing position that when she then takes on that look, style, brand, whatever it is, she leaves herself wide open to criticism.

eta - and she thinks nobody else remembers what she has said previously!

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Million Copy

“The formulation is unimpeachable.” Unimpeachable? It’s an eyeshadow, not a material witness. Did she mean unsurpassed? Unrivalled? Exemplary?

She’s putting more effort in to her Instagram shilling than her column, and it shows.
Her writing style reminds me of the letter Joey writes to the adoption agency in Friends.

• Haha

The Dowager

Chatty Member
Staggered that a) she was happy being described as a sustainability expert in the first place and b) that Ms Sustainability can’t understand the issues with this piece.

She may like to think that her skin’s as pale as milk, but her values are as weak as her unethical tea.

• Haha
  • Heart

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
Sali has the unfortunate way of appearing smug in her writing - even when she is being self deprecating. Her certainty at all times that she is right about everything is incredibly off putting.
exactly this. No warmth to her at all, everything is just frost and very brittle.

Mselvista

VIP Member
Yes, definitely calling bullshit on that. Any hint that Sali doesn't read the London Review of Books cover to cover and suddenly she's making like the old stereotype of an out of touch high court judge.
"And what, pray, or indeed who is a Kardashian?"
So absolutist about everything that she ends up ricochet between extreme positions. Can't just say she likes that sort of magazine too. Smacks of insecurity. And of being a knob.

• Haha

Puzzfish

Dubious ethics aside, it’s such a weirdly long article.

Surely it’s designed to provoke a massive reaction in the comments section (I’m desperate to weigh in on how there’s nothing cheap or low brow about fresh coffee made in a cafetière but actually who gives a shit what I think?) and get all those repeat visits and page hits the guardian so desperately needs, but comments are turned off. What’s the actual point of this article? Is anyone sitting at home reading it and saying ‘oh she’s so right, finally someone hit back at artisan bakers’?

• Haha

Mselvista

VIP Member
For me the DO'P thing is not about her being a hypocrite (most of us are in some way or another) or it making what's said here Ok (I don't tend to ponder What Would Sali Do when faced with a moral dilemma) but makes her insistence that the impulse or desire to bitch about a stranger on the internet with strangers is unfathomable. That those who engage in it are sewer dwellers and "mentalists". Also she keeps referring to posters continuing after she said that she was hurt by it. She said it in a video which was a highly misleading version of events filled with demonstrable exaggeration and hyperbole. So forgive us if we didn't consider it to be credible. And she continues to use a sort of sleight of hand - never quoting any abuse but leaving readers/listening with a distorted view of what has happened. She tried intimidating people who *dared* to ask about botox/bullying allegations in the beauty industry/language used about the menopause under some IG posts. The threads were relatively tame prior to her video. If posters were mistaken about her having a commercial relationship with brands, perhaps she could have clarified that in a professional manner? Instead of lashing out like a petulant child.
Btw - I'm pretty sure DO'P would hate us/here, I've seen a few comments saying "I wish" she'd comment on SH and SH's part in what DO'P experienced. It was obviously a traumatic exoerience for Dawn and from people in her own industry and/or who she had thought were friends. The idea that DO'P should talk about it to vindicate us in some way is misguided imo.