Sali Hughes #23 Swipe up Sali!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m going to take Sali’s advice and not read her columns, it will only push them further up the google results which may lead to others reading them. Instead I shall rely on the snippets my friends here tell me, and from those snippets I shall make judgements.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
This is the top tattle comment of all time.

Perfume parlour would have been a fabulous addition to her list but maybe they asked her to stay away from beauty? She’s recently done one of her budget edits, hasn’t she? I don’t think Estée Lauder would be impressed if she turned lots of people onto perfume parlour.

Noticed that Sali did a Bobbi Brown paid ad on Instagram and a week later a Guardian column mainly about MAC. Both are owned by Estée Lauder. I’ve no experience of the rules around this stuff so I’m not sure what the standard is. However, if I were paid for an ad by a company privately one week, I would not be advertising another branch of their business in an impartial column in a national newspaper the next. Even if I wanted to. Even if I was genuinely desperate to tell people that buying single shadows is the best thing in the world.
🤣🤣 thank you!

Yeah I bet Perfume Parlour is Perfuma Non Grata in the beauty journalism world! Which reminds me, I need to order more of their copy of Creed Island Water.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
She’s just keepin’ it real. Showing that she is discerning & can see through the smoke & mirrors & determine what is actually good as opposed to ‘perceived quality’. It adds to her brand cachet of honesty, sound judgement & great taste. Never mind that it doesn’t jive with her sustainability expertise or that she is easily popped in the pockets of big brands (dressing for Leonard) for the right price. We are meant to thank her for liberating us from the middle-clasd tyranny of Nespresso & Dualit and feel grateful that we have her blessing to eat Curly Wurlys and Walkers cheese & onion. She’s a taste-maker, early adopter & opinion former and her views COUNT.
Also a bit of the cool girl thing with eating junk food. Similar to that pathetic "dare me" Welsh cakes tweet. I mean, ffs, she's a woman in her 40s. Attention seeking twit.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Yes, definitely calling bullshit on that. Any hint that Sali doesn't read the London Review of Books cover to cover and suddenly she's making like the old stereotype of an out of touch high court judge.
"And what, pray, or indeed who is a Kardashian?"
So absolutist about everything that she ends up ricochet between extreme positions. Can't just say she likes that sort of magazine too. Smacks of insecurity. And of being a knob.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
If Sali had ever read the London Review of Books...her writing would be better.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
God, it must be so exhausting for her wanting always to be the best, the first, the most aspirational, the most down to earth, the shortest, the most Welsh, the most absolute, the most resolute and the most in-the-know.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Glossies. Not Sali's fault but that word gives me the heaves. The last time I purchased one as a treat a few years ago it was about 6 bloody quid and was about 75% advertising. Absolutely taking the piss. Didn't even have the perfume strips that managed to lacerate your wrists.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
God, it must be so exhausting for her wanting always to be the best, the first, the most aspirational, the most down to earth, the shortest, the most Welsh, the most absolute, the most resolute and the most in-the-know.
You forgot 'the palest' 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Wouldn’t notice a Kardashian , really?:rolleyes: , back-pedalling just a little in that exchange.
But she will defend to the death anyone's right to wear her look. Which she wouldn't notice. Couldn't describe it. Pick it out of a line up.
About 7:40, don't watch the whole thing, especially if you've read her article today (watch this instead: ).

Reactions: 5
Ugh saying you wouldn't recognise a Kardashian. You might as well say you wouldn't know who Donald Trump is.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Did she actually say she’s got ‘thousands’ of glossy magazines? I’ve got a few copies of The Face in my loft that I saved but not thousands, although I did buy every issue I could.
Also, not being aware that menopause skin care is coming is short sighted, if I got that right - I’ve thought that for years 🤔. It’s a big marketing opportunity really. Might have got both of these things wrong tho.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Did she actually say she’s got ‘thousands’ of glossy magazines? I’ve got a few copies of The Face in my loft that I saved but not thousands, although I did buy every issue I could.
Also, not being aware that menopause skin care is coming is short sighted, if I got that right - I’ve thought that for years 🤔. It’s a big marketing opportunity really. Might have got both of these things wrong tho.
Yes thousands. So that means at least 2000. Where the duck would you keep them? I hope (entirely unrelated to here as she never reads here) she puts up a photo of these 1000s.

Reactions: 5
Sali, if you're using fragranced body lotions for sex (wtf), I think we might have discovered the cause of your cystitis (it ain't the fruity shower gel!)
Sali really is quite the anachronism, isn’t she? A lot of her advice comes across as something you would read in a copy of The Rules, or something. Fragranced body lotion for sex, not letting your bloke’s mother visit more than one weekend every three months...

Call me old fashioned, but I find nothing sexier (TMI?!) than clean, freshly showered skin. Wouldn’t fragranced lotion taste weird?!

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Could she not use ‘inexpensive’ rather than ‘cheap’? ‘Cheap’ could be considered as being somewhat derogatory .....
On QVC shopping channel apparently the word is banned and they must say Affordable instead.

I loathe the fake word Spendy which appears several times in that awful lazy piece of writing.

Reactions: 15
Wouldn’t notice a Kardashian , really?:rolleyes: , back-pedalling just a little in that exchange.
My retired academic father reads the LRB and would still know a Kardashian if he saw one :rolleyes: I hate the snobby elitism of comments like these.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.