Sali Hughes #23 Swipe up Sali!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On the foundation point, I've gone full goth lately and I love it. I want a contrast between my hair and skin. I don't need bronzer. I want my skin to look like skin, it doesn't need 'warming up'. With a wine or burgundy lipstick I feel like Morticia Addams and that is how it should be.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Cba with Sali atm but thought I would tell you about Boots Advanced Retinol 1.5% Complex. I got this as part of a bundle with a discount. There was a how to use it/warning leaflet so chucked that in recycling straight off but then oof! I was v surprised. I use tret on and off and was thinking of trying Dermatica but that Boots stuff does the job, for my face anyway and for now. The reviews I had saw were saying that it’s quite mild/weak. That wasn’t my experience though. Spent a couple of nights slathered in Skin Food to help. I would buy it again. 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 3
New Sali article on guardian this morning about how cheap is best. So many irritating and lazy things to unpick but I CBA. (Quick synopsis - her love of cheap chocolate is of course included. As are massive gold hoops and leopard print coats. Yaaawwwwn)

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
New Sali article on guardian this morning about how cheap is best. So many irritating and lazy things to unpick but I CBA. (Quick synopsis - her love of cheap chocolate is of course included. As are massive gold hoops and leopard print coats. Yaaawwwwn)
Blimey she's been threatening that one for years. I see 'posh' is used a lot.
It is a very strange article - including coffins and pets? I might have to read it again as the first time I found too odd to take it. It is so long and so, well, pointless.
And I think she forgot her old favourite in her Posh vs cheap shtick - crisps. Isn't that always one example she cites? But very cheering to see the inclusion of kitchen toasters.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
We've had our Dualit toaster for twenty years and it's excellent. I'd far rather invest in something that is a design classic and lasts for years than to keep buying and replacing cheap plastic toasters. We buy or bake real bread too. No "plastic" bread for us. Actually I disagree with all her choices and was surprised too that her favourite cheap crisps weren't mentioned. Also, after being left complimentary packets of dried tagliatelle in our hotel rooms in Venice last year, I have realised that with dried pasta you do get what you pay for. This tagliatelle was sublime. All dried pasta is definitely not the same.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Blimey she's been threatening that one for years. I see 'posh' is used a lot.
It is a very strange article - including coffins and pets? I might have to read it again as the first time I found too odd to take it. It is so long and so, well, pointless.
And I think she forgot her old favourite in her Posh vs cheap shtick - crisps. Isn't that always one example she cites? But very cheering to see the inclusion of kitchen toasters.
Yes - you're right! I also thought the crisps was an omission, but then worried I was confusing her with Jack Monroe... She too has been going on about cheap crisps a lot recently. They seem to morphing into the same person in my head!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Oh what an edgy article! Sourdough, artisan coffee, she's having none of it!
She's still Sali from the block!

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Ugh. “Posh” and “spendy“ 🙄.

Missoma gold hoop earrings definitely look cheap but aren’t especially. Has she even thought this through? How will she shill them with a straight face now?

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I get that's it not a serious piece of hard hitting journalism, but it's disappointing to see "cheap tea" as one of her must haves. It's cheap because of exploitation of tea estate workers, who are mostly women. But I guess her lipstick liberalism and literature style empowerment doesn't extend to those in Assam, Kenya or Sri Lanka

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 37
I get that's it not a serious piece of hard hitting journalism, but it's disappointing to see "cheap tea" as one of her must haves. It's cheap because of exploitation of tea estate workers, who are mostly women. But I guess her lipstick liberalism and literature style empowerment doesn't extend to those in Assam, Kenya or Sri Lanka
It's weird this came from someone who wrote a piece about sustainability.
There's a price to pay for cheap tee, cheap chocolate, cheap electrics etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Staggered that a) she was happy being described as a sustainability expert in the first place and b) that Ms Sustainability can’t understand the issues with this piece.

She may like to think that her skin’s as pale as milk, but her values are as weak as her unethical tea.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
That's very true, I had forgotten about her supposed sustainability credentials. Urgh. Also not to be THAT person but its not the cheapness of the tea she's discussing, the strength and malty flavour comes from the region/manufacturing process, get yourself an ethically sourced, Assam based breakfast tea, small leaf/CTC method for strong brew and you'll have the flavour without exploitation

• Heart
Dubious ethics aside, it’s such a weirdly long article.

Surely it’s designed to provoke a massive reaction in the comments section (I’m desperate to weigh in on how there’s nothing cheap or low brow about fresh coffee made in a cafetière but actually who gives a tit what I think?) and get all those repeat visits and page hits the guardian so desperately needs, but comments are turned off. What’s the actual point of this article? Is anyone sitting at home reading it and saying ‘oh she’s so right, finally someone hit back at artisan bakers’?

• Haha
Reactions: 17
That's very true, I had forgotten about her supposed sustainability credentials. Urgh. Also not to be THAT person but its not the cheapness of the tea she's discussing, the strength and malty flavour comes from the region/manufacturing process, get yourself an ethically sourced, Assam based breakfast tea, small leaf/CTC method for strong brew and you'll have the flavour without exploitation
Quite! If she was writing that breakfast tea is better than other types then fine, but she positioned it in an article about cheap being better. No mention of the issues surrounding cheap tea.

This has put me in the mood for a tea though, and as a woman with little to no fucks left to give, it’s going to be one of those Toast & Jam ones from Yorkshire Tea. One day I’ll have taste and style, but that day is not today 💁‍♀️

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Dubious ethics aside, it’s such a weirdly long article.

Surely it’s designed to provoke a massive reaction in the comments section (I’m desperate to weigh in on how there’s nothing cheap or low brow about fresh coffee made in a cafetière but actually who gives a tit what I think?) and get all those repeat visits and page hits the guardian so desperately needs, but comments are turned off. What’s the actual point of this article? Is anyone sitting at home reading it and saying ‘oh she’s so right, finally someone hit back at artisan bakers’?
That is just what I thought - it was a lightweight, albeit incredibly long article to get people talking, and commenting. Does she hope it will start all over again on twitter?
Plus it seems tone deaf in these times - a lot of people can't afford to buy 'posh' so it isn't a fun option to ironically buy cheap eg cheap coffee is instant, and cheap cola is own brand - not Coke or Pepsi. And struggling artisan bakeries will really appreciate this elegant kicking from her Grenson ( not Shoe Fare) clad foot.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.