Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

The Dowager

Chatty Member
Plus coffins is such a weird thing to have such decided views on. When you are organising a funeral for a loved one more often than not you are in a daze - you want to do the best for that person. The first thought (in my experience) is not 'wahaay if we save money on the coffin there'll be more to spend in the bar after'.
And hopefully you aren't buying coffins as a regular repeat purchase so really needn't give it *that* much thought. Utterly bizarre.
Oh I don’t know, I suppose it makes sense if she’s spent time realising that her journalistic career will be dead and buried within a year.

• Haha
Reactions: 16

TriviaNewtonJohn

VIP Member
Uh oh, she's going to say we migrated from here to Facebook. Instead of going for the most likely explanation of the people on facebook didn't like the article either
And Facebook isn't anonymous so she can't call them rat faced sewer dwellers or whatever. Also - none of the commenters seem to know who she is.

• Haha

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Couldn't agree more, builders tea is such a nonsense term.

And I may be alone in this but I think the stuff about green tea was a bit xenophobic. Green tea is not necessarily expensive or "fancy", it comes in at all price points. You don't like it, fine, but don't be derogatory about it and write it off as tasting like "raw fish".

I’m a lurker more than a commenter on here, and often wonder whether we nitpick out of frustration and disappointment with how someone we respected and trusted has turned into a generic influencer. So I’ve questioned my reaction to today’s column to check it’s not just me being pissy.

I was genuinely excited when I saw she was writing about sustainable razors. I changed to a metal safety razor last year and it’s great. Metal blade that can be recycled. No plastic. Blades are super cheap. What Sali is recommending isn’t that. It’s better than a disposable razor but still has plastic encased disposable blades. It’s not really any different to what you can buy in boots (in terms of sustainability, not necessarily quality). It feels like such a missed opportunity.

to balance things out - I bought a gold glasses chain to keep my face mask on. #influenced

edit: also props to her for using the word “women”, as @rosemarina identified. Noted And appreciated when I was reading the column.

• Heart

Puzzfish

I'm nominating this for a Bad Sex Award.View attachment 303606
I read Grace Dent’s book this week and it was brilliant - one sentence could summon up memories from decades ago, it made me laugh and cry, really enjoyed it.

It made me realise that Sali’s writing always feels like someone trying to do a second rate Grace Dent impression and never quite hitting the mark, and this paragraph is the perfect, cringe worthy example of this.

• Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I confess i read the column just to see whether she reassured readers that she, Sali, was herself "not there yet".
I must admit that was my motivation too but she tiptoed around it as she would probably say 'elegantly'.
I too thought only water was recommended for downstairs. And @MakkaPakka I do hope there is a follow up IGTV with Sali angrily saying 'They discussed my fanny' in that voice.

• Haha

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
"There’s a good chance that you have bought something from a disruptor by now. You know the sort of thing: a mattress that came, not on a lorry from a department store, but rolled up in a box from a website selling nothing else. Maybe you no longer buy your laundry detergent from Asda, but in pods that are delivered each month, through your letterbox, while you take an exercise class on the Peloton app instead of joining a gym. These are companies using the internet to challenge the way we shop for everyday goods and services – and now they’ve gone and disrupted my legs."

Note: the above is not parody

• Haha
  • Wow

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
I had a dream three of us from here met for coffee (there was a ‘rule of 3s’ in place in the dream) and I turned up in a spy disguise for a laugh, complete with newspaper with two eye holes cut out.

• Haha
Reactions: 15

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Plus coffins is such a weird thing to have such decided views on. When you are organising a funeral for a loved one more often than not you are in a daze - you want to do the best for that person. The first thought (in my experience) is not 'wahaay if we save money on the coffin there'll be more to spend in the bar after'.
And hopefully you aren't buying coffins as a regular repeat purchase so really needn't give it *that* much thought. Utterly bizarre.

rosemarina

VIP Member
Ugh. “Posh” and “spendy“ 🙄.

Missoma gold hoop earrings definitely look cheap but aren’t especially. Has she even thought this through? How will she shill them with a straight face now?

• Haha

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
So which of you beefy faced trolls is this? 😂
We are ALL beef faced trolls on this blessed day

I also must confess an affection for exorbitantly priced Fortnum and Mason blends
Me too! My Earl Grey wankery knows no bounds

Uh oh, she's going to say we migrated from here to Facebook. Instead of going for the most likely explanation of the people on facebook didn't like the article either
I wonder if she'll assign us likely matching identities from FB posters based on their posting? It'll be like twin towns - we'll each have to go and visit our assigned counterpart sewer rat and bring commemorative gifts!

Last edited:
  • Haha

NotDumbNotBlonde

VIP Member
She didn't mention the only menopausal skincare with relevant clinically tested active ingredient, ie Emepelle (Nadine Baggott and Dr Sam/Dr Em Wedgworth have talked about it).

I confess i read the column just to see whether she reassured readers that she, Sali, was herself "not there yet".

• Haha
  • Heart

AsterSalonen

I didn't notice her bronzer or foundation shades to be honest. I was too busy being flabbergasted by the (baby poo) brown shade of eyeshadow she had applied nearly up to her eyebrows. Sorry Sali , but Imho this was the least attractive make up look I have seen on anyone for a long time. You're pretty lady, that took some work.

• Haha
  • Heart

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
Wow. Just really bad. I do makeup better than this and I’m so bad at makeup that I sometimes have to take it all off and start again.
This will sound really strange, but I sometimes (now rarely) apply loads of dark eyeliner and mascara, then take it off sloppily, and what remains is this perfect mixture of a precise line with a bit of smudge, I can't explain it. 🙃

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
Went to read the article to kill what ever joy I have left or to give it a boost. It could have gone either way.

"But let me first say that I am made angry by razors". Made angry, do tell.
"They are ugly, plasticky, environmentally unhelpful and make the shower look messy." Ugly? Sure, they're not the height of design like a vintage car, but they're not supposed to be. Plasticky? Only R. M. Rilke can parallel her poetic language. "Environmentally unhelpful" as opposed to what? What could help the environment most is not shaving at all. "Make the shower look messy" - what? how?

Made it this far.

• Haha