Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

cleaningmad

I don’t for a second believe the notes and letters have come away from the gifts. Nobody would have delivered just an unboxed gift, so chances are hun open the box and the letter will be there and then you can not tag the person for fear of attention being taken away from you. Or maybe, if you spent 1 day a week opening them rather than spending an hour in B&M admiring your own face on a cardboard cutout, you might find the letters don’t go missing because they’ve not been lost on the journey from the lock up.

Few suggestions for your next tattle check up. ATB x
tl;dr version: I've been on the receiving end of piles and piles of freebies and gifts and it's honestly not all its cracked up to be, and yes labeling gets hopelessly screwed up. It's a nightmare.

Long response:

Hi all, I've been lurking a while. I just wanted to pop in with some experience I have with this. Probably no one will read this, and maybe it doesn't apply to the Hinch situation at all, I don't know, but here you go.

I had a very popular infertility blog back in the early aughts, and after I finally got pregnant with my son, I had blog readers sending me all kinds of things. It was incredibly overwhelming, and I didn't have a management team or anything, since sponsored blogs and 'influencers' weren't a thing yet. We had a post office box we shared for public use, while keeping our home address private. The post office box got so backed up, they were calling us to pick up huge bags of parcels. Meanwhile, I was sick with hyperemesis gravidarium (throwing up twenty times a day, on IVs and a picc line for nourishment), my cervix stitched, and on bedrest.

When I tried to go through the gifts and post pictures and thank-you messages, links to people's shops, etc, I got a surge of hate in my email box about how spoiled I was, and how gross it was to get all these gifts when surely, as a popular blogger, I must have income pouring in from my blog ads.

It felt like a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation, and honestly, some of the stuff was really awful. Loads was mislabeled, some had no identification at all (might have been the post office mistake in handling? I know sometimes my husband screwed things up when he was opening boxes and parcels and trying to organize things for me... if someone had shipped me something directly from the store, he didn't always realize he needed to keep the packing slip with the gift so I could see who sent it, or read the gift message or whatever.) If people were handing her gifts at book signings, it would be very easy to lose the card, as they probably weren't prepared to go home with piles of presents. I know she's marketing savvy but the book scene is still new for her.

On top of it all, loads of it was from people just trying to get free advertisement for their shops. A ton of it was stuff I couldn't even use. I cloth diapered (my son was allergic to disposables) and breastfed (lucky me) and so I donated the disposable diapers and wipes to shelters and got hate for that because I was ungrateful and/or snobbish. Donated bottles and pacifiers/dummies because my baby wouldn't take anything but me, and got called selfish and cruel for shaming moms who use those things, even though I never shamed anyone and was really careful to make sure my wording was inclusive and accepting of all moms. I received clothes for the wrong gender (kept those in case I ever had a girl, and finally donated them with tears in my eyes 15 years later), received clothes that were too small to use (my baby weighed over 10 pounds because of my gestational diabetes), or just clothes we couldn't use because the fabrics irritated my son's skin.

I had folks who had sent me stuff feel like they deserved a shout out or a thank you, and then when they didn't get it, unfollowed and blocked me, and even went to snark sites to complain about me. It was hard to ignore the hurt/upset people because I could understand why they felt sad. They truly wanted to send me something nice, which omg, so incredible, right? But I also struggled with how much I should post. The sheer amount of gifts was off-putting to readers. It felt like such an impossible, bizarre, surreal position to be in. I still don't know how I should have handled it, except to maybe have asked that people make a donation to a charity or Hyperemesis foundation in my name or something if they really wanted to do something for me? I wonder if that would have worked. Or to somehow keep my location/PO box private. I don't know.

Sigh. I don't know if any of this relates to Hinch, but to put things in perspective, my blog was getting around 180K in traffic every month. By no means huge compared to today's influencers, but the gifts were impossible to manage. There was no social media yet. I received hundreds of comments on each post, and hundreds of emails every day. Companies of all kinds were contacting me for sponsorships every single day. It was insane.

Anyway, I ran Hinch's instagram through our company audit system (we check influencer's ratios for potential sponsorships... I work for a vacation/cruise clothing company) and her 2M followers comes back as 83% legit, which is actually really good. That doesn't scream paid followers at all, though the system isn't perfect. I ran my small, personal instagram through to see how it compared. My instagram is private, for family and friends only and so I know for a fact everyone on there is legit, and I got an 85% result. I think it docs followers who don't have a profile picture or any posts of their own... so people like my grandma, great aunts, etc. who are only on instagram to follow family count as spam or fake. Anyway, so let's say Hinch has 80% real followers. That's still something like 1.6 million followers. Even if a relatively small percentage of that number sent her gifts, I can't imagine how impossible it might be to manage/juggle. I also know of no influencer whose representation company helps with any of this. They'll coordinate the sponsorships, but they certainly aren't sending anyone over to help juggle gifts from readers... or even the packages sent by paid sponsors. Maybe the UK is different, but I'd be completely shocked if she had any help outside friends/family with the gifts coming in unless she's hired assistants, which is something she should consider if she hasn't already.

I'm so full of cringe over the tommy bottle sterilizer or whatever. She says it's highly rated, but I read poor reviews and the risk of bacteria and infection, and it just seems insane. No one needs a $200 sterilizer to make a bottle, my god. It reminds me of some of the sponsorships I took on later (once the sponsored blog thing became big) thinking they were relevant or a good fit, and instead it was a pile of junk I was never going to use, but the company had paid, so I felt obligated. I ended up removing all sponsorship info from my blog altogether and only offered sidebar ads, and then eventually closed down my blog altogether because the whole monetization of it all took the fun out of the project. Anyway, no one here cares, instagram is a very different beast, I realize.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a white knight for Hinch or anything. I'm very concerned about the chemicals she dumps down her drain and her lack of disclosure for ads and sponsorships (which is why I'm here). I just had some maybe unique experience with the gift thing and wanted to share.

All that said, I wish I could tell all fans not to send money or gifts to their favorite celebrities/personalities. There are other ways to be supportive that don't result in a PR nightmare.

This is too long, sorry, I'm hopped up on allergy medicine. I'll shut up.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 65

headfullofdreams

Please can this thread NOT turn into a bottle Vs breast debate? We don't know each other's personal circumstances and NO ONE should be shamed for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 65

Gooblegoo

Anyone else notice that yesterday she “couldn’t sit up on her own and her jumper was round her neck but she couldn’t sort it and had to wait for Jamie to do it for her” and today she is miraculously bent over on the floor cuddling Henry? Glad she’s had a speedy recovery in 24hours...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58

NotSherlockHuns

Lots of people learn how they go actually. I have had 4 younger siblings who I have fed and changed and babysat. Completely different when it's your own. I was still clueless.

Unsure why it matters if she can breastfeed or not, her body her baby her choice. I don't get why people care how others choose to feed their kids. I don't see an advert for baby milk, just a question poll. If this is the topic of conversation until she starts weaning (which will still be wrong) I'm off! 😂 Can't stand self righteous parents, and can't stand people who aren't parents dishing out advice even more

• Heart
Reactions: 58

headfullofdreams

I've always resented the fact that these wannabe z-list nobodies get sent free stuff, but seeing her brag about #gifted baby stuff makes me so so mad. I'm not a parent, but I imagine there are so many essential items a new baby needs and for this over-privileged, lying bimbo to receive things like this for free boils my piss.

There are so many young families, struggling new parents or single mothers who would love to receive a kind gift like this. Imagine how it must feel knowing that they don't need to fork out on something for the baby? For that month you don't need to live on the bread line because you didn't need to spend a load of money on nappies?

It's disgusting and abhorrent that people like the Hinch benefit from a baby company's greedy need for views, likes and advertising time. It makes me fucking sick.

• Heart
Reactions: 52

KawaiiAF

VIP Member
From comments on a fb page some of her fans have seen the Light!

A girl was talking about how much it cost her to fill a bag with gifts for the hinch, which she delivered by hand to her at the first signing event. She's saying it contained things like a large home jar Yankee Candle, hoodie, personalised mug, relaxing music CD etc. She filled an entire bag of expensive goodies that she spent ages choosing to tailor them to the hinch's taste and inc a hand written letter and now she's saying how she deeply regrets it. Someone replied saying she can't believe how ungrateful Hinch was about all the numerous gifts she received, to the degree she didn't even open any. Even more people are piling in and saying they've sent her stuff before and she never mentions any of it. Some are saying people have sent her really creative items such as a tiny hand made Henry, but she never talks about it in any way. Anyone genuine would, I replied lol :)

The most she ever got to it was saying she was considering opening some gifts from her first book signing, ages and more book signings later, instead she went right back to shopping for herself and stagnating in her egg chair, in between sniffing fence paint fumes all day and replacing meals with genetically modified and stuffed with banned chemical colourings Lucky Charms :rolleyes:(y)

Long may they see the light! Keeping them completely and utterly in the dark about her hospital long stay, while still wanting attention and sympathy and still creating ads, seems to have pushed them over the edge into reality.

I'm confident with her shocking lack of care, more fans will join them soon and as she continues to treat them badly, it will turn into a torrent. Much like how many people have joined here having seen the light :)

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 51

MummyB

As I know Sophie reads here I will post this, please DO NOT buy a sleep positioner for your baby. They are dangerous and will hopefully soon be banned! For safe sleeping check out the lullaby trust website. I work with families who have lost babies due to these things! Please Sophie, just don’t do it x

• Wow
Reactions: 50

Sexpistol

I don't like all the bottle feeding shaming going on. Some people just don't want to and that's fine. It doesn't mean they can't or find it difficult they just might not want to! I don't want to breastfeed my baby and that's fine. She's getting fed, what's the problem??
So annoyed tho that she's been gifted a prep machine, she could easily afford one!
Actually people turning around and "just not wanting to" isnt fine. If everyone decided not to breastfeed because they don't fancy it there would be some serious ramifications for the health of future generations and cost to the NHS. If able to, breastfeeding is best for babies and we need to change our mentality towards the whole situation. Everyone who can breastfeed should give it a go where possible. We have one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world and the last thing that's needed is any promotions of formula what so ever especially from influencers.

• Angry
Reactions: 50

NotSherlockHuns

These threads go round in circles. People moaned the other week she wasn't getting stuff ready and wasn't excited. Now she is people think she's had it or its unnecessary. It's likely as she's been in hospital she has a health condition that she doesn't want people to know about and may have to have to plan to have the baby a bit earlier. They will deliver at 37 weeks if need be so if she is 32 weeks she hasn't got long left, so obviously needs to sort stuff out.

I did all my sons room because I felt pressured into it and it was a complete waste of time and money, he's never slept in there. It's a glorified storage room. They don't even need a room for 6 months. All this 'everyone should plan and have everything ready' nonsense is crap. I ended up having mine at 35 weeks, no I didn't have a hospital bag ready, yes I survived just fine.

Ps child's farm is overrated overpriced crap.

• Heart
Reactions: 49

NotSherlockHuns

The thing that annoys me (and excuse me if someone has pointed it out but I nearly died of boredom reading about feeding again and had to skip to the end) is how she can possibly recommend these baby items and provide swipe ups without ever using them? Baby items are only as good as they are to an individual mother and baby. When I had to stop BF at 6 weeks I tried 6 different types of bottle due to colic. If I'd spent £100 on hinch's tommee tippee set I'd have been pretty upset. I had 3 types of steriliser, all inconvenient. Also if you're organised you don't need a prep machine. A baby bouncer is only good if your baby will stay in it for more than 2 mins. After 6 months most stuff is completely redundant.

I literally had so much unused stuff because people told me I needed it and I didn't. It all went to the baby bank, £100s worth of stuff. I am mostly concerned with first time mums that will waste unnecessary money on things because they don't know what they need or want because she's promoting them but also getting a cut from swipe ups. It's wrong on many levels. She hasn't used any of the stuff she is showing so can't possibly say it's useful or worth the money, same with all the other tat she provides swipe ups for. I don't have an issue with her being gifted items but she should at least spend 24 hrs using them while sleep deprived and holding a baby in one arm before she puts them out there and says how fantastic they are.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 47

coldasice

Did I just walk into mumsnet?

Let’s not discuss how people feed, nappy change or dress their children.

• Heart
Reactions: 46

Brummiebird

VIP Member
Anyone medical want to take a stab at what these are to deduce what's wrong with her?
Some of them look like they could be folate/iron tablets and supplements you sometimes need in pregnancy.
ASCD I’d guess.

That is, attention seeking cunt disorder.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43

KawaiiAF

VIP Member
She got so much stick for ignoring the fan gifts she received weeks ago and up until yesterday were still unopened that opening them now is meaningless, smacks of PR damage limitation. We all know left to her own devices she still wouldn't be opening them. I'd have opened them the next day, my thank you notes would've been written and sent that week. It's not hard when home all day! It's just being polite and grateful.

Don't forget this is the woman who does nothing for her fans but take. No give aways for hitting 1 m or 2 m, just more and more Ads.

Her lame excuse that the cards have come away from the gifts, not only makes zero sense, but means she doesn't have to thank anyone.

And no, she's not doing her best. She's doing the absolute minimum she can possibly get away with.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 42

Toppsie

Jamie, if you're reading here for your tangoed sales machine, sorry, I mean wife, please pass on this message from us all st Tattle

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41

spo

Eurgh her stories are starting to piss me off with all this baby gifted crap, she’s now just showing off from her previous stories with all the clothes and personalised stuff with baby hinch on 🙄 she can easily afford all this stuff so it’s quite frustrating watching her get all this stuff for free when half of it won’t be used anyway so why can’t she donate stuff to parents who maybe can’t afford lavish gifts for their babies? I’m a single parent and was throughout my pregnancy and I was still working full time and worked my arse off whilst paying a mortgage to buy things for my son, I bought a lot of secondhand (thanks to Facebook market place🙌🏻) and saved up for months to buy the pram as I wanted Atleast one new thing, she’ll probably get a pram gifted to her aswell 🙄 not sure whether she wants to be the next Meghan markle and wanting everyone to speculate when she’s having the kid, will probs have a silly name to be upto date and her army will start naming their kids the same, probs will be called greyson or something as she loves grey so much 😂
[/QUOTE]

This 💯!!!
It’s already fucking pissed me off!
All those expensive things - perfect prep machine, copious childs farm stuff, the caddy, the bunny from my first years... all gifted when she can afford it ALL herself with ease.
Being a single parent as well, I have to save my arse off (and go to work to earn my money, not just clean my house.. which I do also, but I don’t film it and plaster it on the internet)
I hope she pisses a lot of her ‘army’ off, when they see what a spoilt fucking freeloader she is 😡

Reactions: 40