Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

karma4klattie

VIP Member
I was listening for the first hour at 4am which was more than enough. All the regular callers, Lenny from Ashford, James from Manchester, Christine from Bromley I think, Scouser Mark and then Shane from Edinburgh who actually said the producers called him to invite him to chat. Made me wonder if it is more producers calling regulars as there are insufficient people calling in 🤔
LBC shot themselves in the foot losing Steve Allen who'd held the whole station together for years. He whipped up a strong audience at 4.00am, kept them until 7.00am when he could hand them over to Nick Ferrari, and LBC's day would be off to a fine start.

That early morning slot has never been adequately filled since Steve left, I don't think many people want to wake up to half-baked politics, doom and gloom. Call-ins that early are horrendous because the callers seem to be the illogical hysterics who are only on air because there's virtually no-one calm, sane and intelligent to put on instead. I seem to end up on Premier Radio now (and I'm not religious) because I want to listen to calm talk not the urgent Paxman-style of bombast that LBC is riddled with.

I reckon LBC needs a serious re-think because it's boring right now. Jobby with his self-serving, Brexit laden output, and the same single topics done to death by all the presenters 24 hours a day for days on end. And the topics themselves, usually so blindingly obvious there's no room for debate. It's waffle and stodge, followed by stodge followed by more stodge with only momentary relief.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

FunkyPhil

I caught 45 minutes of her which was 45 minutes of Rishi bashing re corruption. I am no Tory fan but as caller Jason from Marylebone said, she is coming across as a bitter jealous individual. Then interestingly another caller who agreed with her but did point out about Peter Mandelson's corruption along with Tony Blair and she soon ended that call.

She is out if her depth in that job and should maybe stick to Twitter or X for her rants to her fan club.
I heard some of Marina's show a week or so back and conclude that she appears to have more speaking power than thinking power.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8

FunkyPhil

I’m sure this has been discussed so apols but what’s the skinny on how Steve Allen was let go?
From what I can piece together Theodore, there were some contract discussions after a Friday show back in March (his contract was due for renewal at the end of the month).

Something apparently upset Steve and he pulled out of his Monday and Tuesday early morning shows the following week with Ian Payne drafted in from his holiday to cover.

By midweek the schedule changed again with Ian left in situ for the rest of that week.

Steve returned on the Friday to recommence negotiations and something seems to have gone horribly wrong. His departure from LBC was announced that day and Ian Payne inherited the early morning slot.

This caused a short term problem in filling Ian's old late night slot with last minute covers being drafted in week by week until Colin Brazieer got the job.

That's the chronology, but as for your specific question there has been no news or leaks to explain why he left. And it was clearly unexpected with Ian Payne returning from his hols to cover and the subsequent hole in the late night schedule, so it's all very mysterious.

There was some speculation that Steve had been asked to tone down his act following complaints including one where he apparently refused to acknowledge Sam Smith as non-binary on a podcast.

Steve was certainly a unique act who was brilliant at his job and broke the mould in so many ways. I'm enjoying Ian's new show though, in particular that he does lighter/fun stuff in the first two hours and goes newsy after six in the run up to the main breakfast show which works very well in my view.

It was a very sad end for Steve after his many years of service, but that is the ruthless way radio seems to operate - you're in the club one day, airbrushed from history the next.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
We all seem to have turned into Steve Allen with our reminiscing ... we'll be discussing the alcoholic producer next 🤣
I loved his early morning ramblings, mocking of z-listers and anecdotes. Following him on social media is so far from interesting. WE WANT STEVE, WE WANT STEVE, WE WANT STEVE! lol

• Heart
  • Haha

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Iain Dale has admitted that the care he received from station staff when he broke his hip has changed his perspective on the rail strikes, re doing away with their jobs. Perhaps Jobby would review his opinion on immigrants if he or his family had an unpleasant encounter with one.
James will never experience a lot of the stuff he champions and has some idealised view of what is going on out there.

I went to Bournemouth out of season. I used to go there quite a lot. This particular time I was walking around the shops and saw two incidents with shoplifters and security guards. Turns out that a lot of the hotels had taken in asylum seekers for the winter and the whole vibe of the town had changed. I haven't been back there since.

Same as I know people who worked in a processing centre in Croydon. They can tell you stories that will make your hair curl. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping people in genuine need and painting over pictures in a children's processing centre is ridiculous but it's a minefield.

It always winds me up when James has a caller on from some deprived, run down town and tells them they are bigots and racists when he has no idea of their lived experience.

• Heart

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
The Just Stop Oil gang will certainly leave their mark on the Wimbledon whites next week if they get a chance to show off in front of the cameras.
I saw something on Twitter yesterday that mad me laugh. It said you have to hand it to the JSO people ... they know how to get tickets for events. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

Maggie Moggy

VIP Member
Whew! What a relief. Nick just signed off saying he's on holiday next week. I went cold. A week of Lammy perhaps? No, thank God, it's Tom.

• Haha
Reactions: 7

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
It 's odd how those on the left, who voted to remain, are unable to refer to those who don't agree with them without bad-mouthing them. Jobby was at it again this morning, ranting on about the thickos and idiots who voted for Brexit. Politicians of all parties are happy to be interviewed by Iain, Nick F, Tom et al because they know they'll be treated with respect. Mayor Khan is Jobby's only regular guest.

Quite a few of my friends and family voted to leave. Some regret it, some would still vote the same way. I do not regard any of these people as thick, racist or nasty.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
That's the problem when you live in a bubble of bullshit and surround yourself with people who hold similar views. Those of us who live in the real world and have an actual real job get a much more rounded view of life. Imagine if you went into work with Marina's attitude ... or James', you'd get your head kicked-in after about a week. Well, you would were I work. :LOL:
Plus you'd have no one to talk to. Imagine if you went through life ignoring everyone who you disagree with or who has a different opinion to you.

Nick A was a doing an O'Brien the other night when a caller was talking about dinghies and how migrants use them to cross the chanel. For some reason Nick decided to be really obtuse and was all 'do they? How do you know they only use dinghies?' ... because Nick, they're not using a P&O ferry are they :rolleyes: ...

• Haha
Reactions: 6

Ndrangheta

VIP Member
Global really need to introduce more variety, movies/books/tv reviews, anything, or the bubble will burst for them, in my opinion.
James could do a version of 'Our Tune' ... where every sad story is related to how Brexit ruined someone's life.

• Haha

Maggie Moggy

VIP Member
There will probably be a blue moon tonight - I'm enjoying Jobby's show!! News came in just after he'd begun that Michael Parkinson has died and James is working off the cuff; no rehearsed rants or axes being ground, just conversation with callers about somebody they all respected and admired. Welcome back the 'old' O'Brien.

Last edited:

neroli

VIP Member
I like Ian Payne..I think he talks sense and the show isn't all about him. He connects with his callers and doesn't try to belittle their views.

i10gal

I think this says it all. Like trying to debate something with a toddler

I managed about 5 minutes of her appalling show this morning and she was bleating about her interview with JRM. When she played it I couldn't believe how rude, unprofessional and childish she was. It was cringeworthy to listen to and she is so deluded she thinks it was a brilliant interview on her part.