LBC Chit Chat #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Poor old Henry Riley gets sent on so many "missions"...Good to have some lighter topics on LBC though

Reactions: 3
There will probably be a blue moon tonight - I'm enjoying Jobby's show!! News came in just after he'd begun that Michael Parkinson has died and James is working off the cuff; no rehearsed rants or axes being ground, just conversation with callers about somebody they all respected and admired. Welcome back the 'old' O'Brien.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
There will probably be a blue moon tonight - I'm enjoying Jobby's show!! News came in just after he'd begun that Michael Parkinson has died and James is working off the cuff; no rehearsed rants or axes being ground, just conversation with callers about somebody they all respected and admired. Welcome back the 'old' O'Brien.
...Better not give my view of Parky then. :LOL: Glad you enjoyed the show! Thanks for reporting back. Are we to surmise though, that in order for a show to be good a well-known television presenter needs to die every day? That's quite a high price. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Probably James is all discombobulated at the idea of someone being both respected and admired. No-one called him silly names?

Interesting you should say that Maggie Moggy. I too used to enjoy James' show many moons ago, but switched away when his act became negative and gloomy and mostly banging the drum about his own pet subjects. I positively avoid him now!
---

Reactions: 2
I thought that was a terrific hour. James letting the callers speak and share their experiences and he even got Dick Emery's son calling in.

Also good to hear him talking about old style LBC. I didn't know James got Parky's old slot.

I didn't listen in but good to hear that you had some enjoyment from the show as opposed to enduring the same old same old vitriol.

Maybe the positive reviews will get him thinking?

Jobby was surprised that Parky used to do the 10-1 show. There were several good presenters in that slot: Brian Hayes, Robbie Vincent, Parky, Simon Bates. I'm pretty sure Simon brought 'Our Tune' with him, even though it wasn't a music station.

Reactions: 1
Jobby was surprised that Parky used to do the 10-1 show. There were several good presenters in that slot: Brian Hayes, Robbie Vincent, Parky, Simon Bates. I'm pretty sure Simon brought 'Our Tune' with him, even though it wasn't a music station.
Don't forget George (errr. ummm, errr) Gale !

I used to love Robbie Vincent on a Sunday evening. It all seems so long ago. I gave up on LBC when it became Global & heavily news based and repetitive. Prior to that I loved tuning in, Steve, not Nick, even Job. He was so much lighter then, not so fixated on being right. Then there was Clive, Christo, Anthony Davis & Nick Magerrison 🤣. I miss that LBC.
I don't think he was ever on LBC but John Gaunt was quite obnoxious and aggressive.

• Heart
Whew! What a relief. Nick just signed off saying he's on holiday next week. I went cold. A week of Lammy perhaps? No, thank God, it's Tom.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I used to love Robbie Vincent on a Sunday evening. It all seems so long ago. I gave up on LBC when it became Global & heavily news based and repetitive. Prior to that I loved tuning in, Steve, not Nick, even Job. He was so much lighter then, not so fixated on being right. Then there was Clive, Christo, Anthony Davis & Nick Magerrison 🤣. I miss that LBC.
I don't think he was ever on LBC but John Gaunt was quite obnoxious and aggressive.
He was a bit weird. They've had some strange presenters in that late night slot.

I used to love Anthony Davis and Clive was perfect at 10pm.

I don't miss James obsessing about breast feeding though.

My introduction to LBC came via Robbie Vincent. My mum used to put his show on when she did the ironing.....
---

• Heart
I think what I miss most about LBC is the characters. I've said before the presenters all blend into one these days apart from a couple like Nick Ferrari and James O'Brien who I would class as old LBC.

Obviously Steve Allen was the last of the real old school but there was also the likes of Bill Buckley, James Whale, David Prever and her royal madness Jenny Barnett. Iain Lee, who was never my cup of tea, could never be described a boring.

I remember a problem hour. Was it Philip Hodson & Anna Raeburn maybe not at the same time. 2-3 pm. If that was LBC we used to listen in the charity shop I worked in while sorting clothes.

And don't Susan Quilliam and her relationship/sex advice which usually raised an eyebrow. 🤪

LBC is very different station these days .....

• Sad
Listening to Lucy Beresford talking about anal sex was quite the companion to my saturday night kebab.

• Haha
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.