LBC Chit Chat #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I kid you not!
I suppose just because he studied theology doesn't automatically make him a bible-basher. He's just got that arrogant air of someone who believes he has some kind of secret knowledge and that he's going to be saved and go to heaven whilst all of us heathens burn in hell. I hate to break the news to him. Anyone for marshmallows?🔥🤣

Reactions: 1
I suppose just because he studied theology doesn't automatically make him a bible-basher. He's just got that arrogant air of someone who believes he has some kind of secret knowledge and that he's going to be saved and go to heaven whilst all of us heathens burn in hell. I hate to break the news to him. Anyone for marshmallows?🔥🤣
I don't hear him now he does late afternoon but I used to find him rather bland. His degree is a source of amusement on the Dark Side. They refer to him as Little Tommy Hymnbook. Very droll. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2
Last night I said that the audience figures for LBC had dropped. I didn't hear any reference to them yesterday on any news bulletin, like they usually do! However, Global have maanged to spin the figures to their advantage !

1691105633565.png

Without wishing to go through and check all their statements, the first one that LBC now has an audience of 3.1 million listeners. That is true, except in the last quarter the figure was 3.4 million !

When it says 'growing in reach' do you think they mean people in different countries listen? People who probably don't have much grasp about who they are listening to?

Maybe people are paid to tune in without needing to listen to anything? Background noise? Keeping tuned all day long without being in the same room?

I like Lisa Aziz on LBC News at 6am.

When it says 'growing in reach' do you think they mean people in different countries listen? People who probably don't have much grasp about who they are listening to?
They have no way of counting overseas listeners. Rajar have a system of issuing a random selection of people with 'listener diaries', a month in which the days are divided into 15 minute sections which you fill in with what you listened to, which station, method of listening etc. i did one years ago and can't remember all the details. Martin has also done one, so might be able to elaborate.

They have no way of counting overseas listeners. Rajar have a system of issuing a random selection of people with 'listener diaries', a month in which the days are divided into 15 minute sections which you fill in with what you listened to, which station, method of listening etc. i did one years ago and can't remember all the details. Martin has also done one, so might be able to elaborate.

Yep same here. Did mine during the first lockdown. A week's listening split into 15 minute sections and where you listened. Got a fiver Amazon voucher for it

Or someone very tall has joined the LBC staff....

• Haha
I think the 'reach' part is linked to the use of other platforms such as the global player, or youtube etc. As opposed to my crystal wireless set. 😬

• Haha
The other day, Steve Allen sent a Tweet and he had responses open. (I'm sure it was an accident). I hope he read the comments as there was a lot of nice ones. Most people desperate for him to do a podcast.

• Heart
The other day, Steve Allen sent a Tweet and he had responses open. (I'm sure it was an accident). I hope he read the comments as there was a lot of nice ones. Most people desperate for him to do a podcast.
Once a week, him and a guest drinking prosecco and giving their opinions on people in the media today. The Prosecco Diaries, with Steve Allen. Adults Only. 😬

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I’m sure this has been discussed so apols but what’s the skinny on how Steve Allen was let go?

I’m sure this has been discussed so apols but what’s the skinny on how Steve Allen was let go?
From what I can piece together Theodore, there were some contract discussions after a Friday show back in March (his contract was due for renewal at the end of the month).

Something apparently upset Steve and he pulled out of his Monday and Tuesday early morning shows the following week with Ian Payne drafted in from his holiday to cover.

By midweek the schedule changed again with Ian left in situ for the rest of that week.

Steve returned on the Friday to recommence negotiations and something seems to have gone horribly wrong. His departure from LBC was announced that day and Ian Payne inherited the early morning slot.

This caused a short term problem in filling Ian's old late night slot with last minute covers being drafted in week by week until Colin Brazieer got the job.

That's the chronology, but as for your specific question there has been no news or leaks to explain why he left. And it was clearly unexpected with Ian Payne returning from his hols to cover and the subsequent hole in the late night schedule, so it's all very mysterious.

There was some speculation that Steve had been asked to tone down his act following complaints including one where he apparently refused to acknowledge Sam Smith as non-binary on a podcast.

Steve was certainly a unique act who was brilliant at his job and broke the mould in so many ways. I'm enjoying Ian's new show though, in particular that he does lighter/fun stuff in the first two hours and goes newsy after six in the run up to the main breakfast show which works very well in my view.

It was a very sad end for Steve after his many years of service, but that is the ruthless way radio seems to operate - you're in the club one day, airbrushed from history the next.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
44 years and your yesterday's radio equivalent of fish and chips paper. There's nothing about this station's output that appeals now. Tuned in and out today, somebody calling Ben Kentish 'Ken' was the highlight. Myska is a terminally tedious, humourless, whiny drone and Natasha Devon is just an awful apology of a human being

Listening figures falling fast and management being shaken up, you're welcome to it with Colin and his circle jerk of morons.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.