LBC Chit Chat #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Before my time. I didn't start listening until the mid 80s.
A newbie then !!! Some of us have been listening since September 1973 !! However, I do note the time of your post ;)
---
I remember a problem hour. Was it Philip Hodson & Anna Raeburn maybe not at the same time. 2-3 pm. If that was LBC we used to listen in the charity shop I worked in while sorting clothes.
I think they were different eras ! Anna started off on Capital (with the Doc !). She came to LBC many years later and presented an afternoon show.

Reactions: 1
And don't Susan Quilliam and her relationship/sex advice which usually raised an eyebrow. 🤪

LBC is very different station these days .....
I used to have it on almost 24/7 for the terrific variety, programmes about health, antiques, Blue Badge talks about London, sex problems, relationship problems, car advice, dating show (Mike Allen? Whoever it was seemed to consider any girl over a size 12 undateable!), the wonderful late-night Robbie Vincent, Clive Bull, allowed to be funny and cool and curt, and playing snippets of music sent in, I think, by two North London taxi drivers. All we have to break the turgid hamster-wheel of news boredom LBC broadcasts now are the two legal experts for one hour apiece.

Losing Steve Allen was the last straw.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Susan Quilliam used to talk about wrapping fingers in cling film among other things. She was very jolly hockey sticks.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
James will have been hitting the Grey Goose heavily after seeing this on Twitter.

He runs a Twitter feed like his show he just blocks any views which are inconvenient for him

Reactions: 2
James will have been hitting the Grey Goose heavily after seeing this on Twitter.

He runs a Twitter feed like his show he just blocks any views which are inconvenient for him
I've not much time for old Musky pants but I love how he's essentially trolling Twitter obsessives, especially ones with entrenched left-leaning views. Waaaaaagh!!!!! :LOL: I'd like him to just say: "Oh duck it". And shut the whole thing down.

...I've personally known advocates of free-speech turn on a dime once they'd got a substantial following, they'd start blocking people who criticised them. Free Speech ... but only if you agree with the person. Ridiculous.

• Haha
I used to have it on almost 24/7 for the terrific variety, programmes about health, antiques, Blue Badge talks about London, sex problems, relationship problems, car advice, dating show (Mike Allen? Whoever it was seemed to consider any girl over a size 12 undateable!), the wonderful late-night Robbie Vincent, Clive Bull, allowed to be funny and cool and curt, and playing snippets of music sent in, I think, by two North London taxi drivers. All we have to break the turgid hamster-wheel of news boredom LBC broadcasts now are the two legal experts for one hour apiece.

Losing Steve Allen was the last straw.
Ah yes Mike Allen ‘Midnight Encounters’ .. would probably be described as pimping in current times 😳. And the wonderful Robbie Vincent, Robbie also did a morning show on LBC but definitely more suited to night time broadcasting.

• Heart
Without trying to sound like an apologist for Mad Nad there's an interesting article in the I newspaper this weekend about her. Did you know her novels have sold over 3 million copies? (And that's without having a daily radio show where she can plug them 5 times a day). She was also a midwife (I knew that), a successful businesswoman (in what it doesn't say), and is the survivor of abuse from a Priest from when she was a child. All of that just makes Jobby's constant personal attacks against her seem ever more pathetic and unpleasant.

Here's the article:
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/nadine-dorries-symbol-tory-contempt-voters-neglect-country-2557666

Reactions: 4
We all seem to have turned into Steve Allen with our reminiscing ... we'll be discussing the alcoholic producer next 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
We all seem to have turned into Steve Allen with our reminiscing ... we'll be discussing the alcoholic producer next 🤣
I loved his early morning ramblings, mocking of z-listers and anecdotes. Following him on social media is so far from interesting. WE WANT STEVE, WE WANT STEVE, WE WANT STEVE! lol

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Without trying to sound like an apologist for Mad Nad there's an interesting article in the I newspaper this weekend about her. Did you know her novels have sold over 3 million copies? (And that's without having a daily radio show where she can plug them 5 times a day). She was also a midwife (I knew that), a successful businesswoman (in what it doesn't say), and is the survivor of abuse from a Priest from when she was a child. All of that just makes Jobby's constant personal attacks against her seem ever more pathetic and unpleasant.

Here's the article:
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/nadine-dorries-symbol-tory-contempt-voters-neglect-country-2557666
J really hates her because of what she has said on record about him, I believe? He could go even further with his loathing and send her free tickets to his book tour? That could break her and force her to relinquish her seat with immediate effect

• Haha
Reactions: 1
He could go even further with his loathing and send her free tickets to his book tour? That could break her and force her to relinquish her seat with immediate effect
See, now that would be funny. Bury the hatchet and move on type stuff. Maybe even a bit of free publicity. Something a therapist might suggest, you know ... moving on. A bit like Brexit. Obviously James will have none of it.

Oh blimey, poor Iain.

@IainDale

·Aug 18
I've drawn the short straw. I agreed to cover @DavidLammy on Sunday morning on @LBC before I realised it clashes with the Women's World Cup Final. Hey ho! I promise three hours of non footy fun and hijinks. Seriously.

I have to admit that I will be actively avoiding all the women's football hype this morning (sorry...not belittling their achievements but just not interested) so it's good to know that Lammy is still on holiday and that Iain's show will be a football-free zone.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.