Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I'm a single mum, actual single mum (no immediate family close who I speak with, no father in the picture at all, not even on weekends) myself along with thousands of other single mums out there simply just can't cope with working and single handedly bringing up a child, it's seriously difficult on a one house hold income, absolutely no one to lean on for financial support, literally only being able to take 16 hour jobs that offer flexibility and have an understanding boss. I've also had my benefits stopped, was thrown out and had to be moved into a hostel (emergency accommodation) there are immigrant mothers I've met, a lot of Muslim women from war torn countries in an alien country trying to single handedly bring up children, I know single mums who've committed suicide because they've had benefits frozen or been forced into a dangerous hostel with young kids with them, it's horrific. The reason *actual* single mums are mad is because her son Jonathan's father HAS ALWAYS BEEN IN THE PICTURE SINCE BIRTH, JACK HER SELF TWEETED THIS, IN HER OWN WORDS HER SONS DAD HAD TO WORK AWAY FOR A MONTH THEN CAME BACK HOME. That's not a single mother, single mothers have no father or family and friend supports, hence the term single mother. Jacks father financially supports Jack's son and he stays there a few times a week, she comes from a family of 2 working parents in a decent area. What's actually happened is, a middle class narcissistic woman, had a taste of being a single mother for a few weeks and realised just how hard and debilitating it is, unfortunately actual single mothers situations rarely change, especially in areas that are impoverished, its terrible. Go to Redcar or Middlesbrough, a lot of areas in stockton on tees, speak to the actual single mothers bringing up kids on a street next to an ex offenders hostel on a street rife with crime all because dad decided it was too difficult, women who are told they brought it on themselves being a single mother. She had father in the picture, financial support from her sons dad, wealthy parents who would of happily bailed her out, friends who were decent people. If you want someone to give you the reality of poverty and making the best of a 20 pound shop seriously go to these areas, these women have had tough lives. Great that she's giving a voice to these people but don't pretend for one minute you have ever been in that situation jack. Like the time she claimed she was homeless yet posted on Facebook the exact same week asking people to come to her home for food. She's a walking contradiction. She reminds me of the song common people by pulp, trying to speak about something she has no idea about, she's like the Rachel dolezal of people in poverty

• Heart
Reactions: 139

jenny2603

VIP Member
Screenshot 2022-10-05 11.37.06.png

Just popping this here so Jack sees it on her grunk. I know she loves a good joke and this one is very funny.

• Haha
Reactions: 133

Geetbo

VIP Member
I always thought I wanted her to face some actual consequences for her behaviour, but it turns out her becoming a laughing stock is much much better.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 126

Phillipa78

Chatty Member
Jack returned to twitter with a tantrum about how the parody account with about 200 followers was trying to get all UP IN HER NICHE. She succeeded in drawing attention to it and they're now up over 1k followers. She blocked them, but not until the delicious limelight was shone on them for long enough to boost their account into the twittersphere. Chapeau Jack!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 122

moldwarp

VIP Member
Also and this might not be popular

I find it a bit weird she had another relationship when pregnant. I have been pregnant and single and the last thing on my mind was another person to sex with. The thought would have made me puke. Not saying everyone should be like me but I do find it a bit gross having sex with someone with someone else's baby in you.
Probably showing my age 😏
I don’t really have any thoughts on that per se other than to say that the three or so years during which Jack was pregnant and had a toddler are really a mess of a timeline. During that time she was pregnant, working at the fire service, training to be a firefighter, working as a barista, working in a nightclub, working as a sex worker, hosting coffee mornings, doing artwork, getting needles stuck in her, getting stalked, moving half a dozen times, writing a blog, working for the local paper, attending council meetings, trailing through the rain looking for jobs with her toddler in tow, going hungry, stealing Big Macs out of bins, telling her toddler there was no more bread and jam, escaping two abusive relationships, auditioning for X factor, selling all her possessions, sleeping rough, writing poetry and unscrewing lightbulbs.

Now I’m not saying all of that didn’t happen, of course. Just that it’s…a lot.

ETA - oh! And how could I forget! Three major newspaper interviews, two suicide attempts and one psychiatric hospitalisation. And a partridge in a pear treeeeeee.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 121

Tin Can Crook

Chatty Member
I'd rather eat this than the dire roast potatoes BUT 'chiz on tiz'?? Are we sure this isn't Jack? I've never heard that before.
Sounds like somebody middle class pretending to be working class so who fucking knows 😆

Blue tick is not impressed. I find the whole "this isn't funny" argument to be pretty ineffective. Probably because it really is funny.

Screenshot_20221004_183456.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 108

5Alive

1664902102897.png

1664902154564.png

"Just walked into Parliament tonight. And the armed Police office said, “are you Jack Monroe from Twitter? I love your feed. What you are doing is amazing. Keep going.” This sort of thing is happening a lot now. It’s both discombobulating and heartening in equal measure"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 107

Ellis Island

Hi All. First post, don't murder me.

I find myself here because I have been suspicious of Jack Monroe for a long time. Much of what she writes just doesn't ring true. However, others have written about that. I really don't believe a work that comes out of the girls mouth (or anything she types on Twitter or Insta, or wherever else she and her flying monkeys haunt).

What has irked me about her a lot is her recipes. They are effing nonsese. Rinsing spaghetti hoops? What? People would be better off eating paper, it would be more nutritious. I'm associated with a charity that does many things for people in need and one of them is free classes on cooking well. Anyone in the local community can come along, parents with their kids, single people, students, whoever. The classes are between 4-6 weeks long, one afternoon a week and teach people who to use different ingredients, what to do with leftovers etc, and how to budget (if they are struggling to). People also learn what dietary intake people need at different ages. Also, people have fun and make new friends.

I've found those classes help people more over the last year or so than some half-baked recipe books that do nothing other than make people believe they are eating well for less when they are actually eating crap.

I have become more irate with how "Jack" treats poor people recently. Classes like I just described, those are the way forward, not some middle-class twonk lecturing poor people to buy cheaper and eat worse.

Apologies for the length, she does rile me right up!

• Heart
Reactions: 106

AlwightDallin

VIP Member
Is that Jack 2edgy5u Monroe in a Joules raincoat?
Wait, hang on, are Joules raincoats not cool?!? 😭 I’ve just worn mine on a very rainy school run. I had previously thought I was cool but I bought a hot water bottle yesterday and I’m thinking of buying an emergency torch and OH MY GOD IM NOT COOL

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 101