Jack Monroe #171 Just discovered her and think she’s horrid

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No Teesside (🔺) that’s funny!

ive had my vaccination I FEEL TERRIBLE (but not COVID terrible so hey ho).
Hope it passes for you soon, my wife had the AZ jab on Sunday and said same as you, couldn't sleep next to her last night she was that disgustingly sweaty but she's seeming better today.

And glad to hear you don't have covid and also hope you get better soon @MaineCoonMama, keep forgetting there are other viruses etc. out there!

@Vanelope same xD I was tired and cold-y for a day, just boshed a load of cocodamol and got on with it so I didn't get to be a martyr, which sucked because I've been picking up tips from our smol pixie.
On topic: I genuinely think the donations were labelled so that any journos out there or food bank social media sorts knew exactly what she'd donated.

eta: glad to see ya back @MancBee, hope all is well too.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Read article in Times today about how most people don’t have depression, anxiety, PTSD and it’s ok to just be a bit sad. It’s also ok to be ok which is a bit of a bad word at the moment with the pandemic and all. I’ve had depression, been medicated and therapy and I was a mess. I didn’t clean, I didn’t shower, my personal care was non existent. I was a terrible friend and horrible in relationships. I treated myself very badly. It was a while ago so there was more stigma and I was scared of telling people. I’m better now. I’m very grateful and terrified of how my brain could change again. The acceptance of depression and anxiety means everyone can be open about it but it’s also not just being a bit sad. Also while these illnesses now abound in media, the less well understood like schizophrenia and BPD are still hushed up and not as publicised. Every celebrity has depression or bipolar, none have BPD except that fabulously funny guy who dances in a leotard and explains about suicidal thoughts .

• Heart
Reactions: 41
It's this idea that "lived experience" is more important than expertise. The truth is that it is and it isn't. Take another situation: yes, we should listen to cancer patients talking about their experience, but not at the expense of ignoring oncologists.

It's particularly bad when the "lived experience" is coming from someone who self-diagnosed with the help of Dr Google, which a great many of these Twitter types tend to be. That's when we start getting "I knew I was autistic because I don't like mushrooms" and all this dangerous nonsense.

ETA: comments on that autism post:

View attachment 505751View attachment 505752

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at "all the expertise you've gained on Twitter".
Yeah lived expertise is very important but you need 'book' expertise to back it up. I briefly looked at becoming a substance abuse counsellor because I have the lived experience and it is actually really valuable for stuff like that, but you need people who have trained and studied the issue and can direct that side of things, your GPs, psychiatrists, etc.

Anyway I gave up on that because I'm too easily affected by the emotions of others and also I still smoke weed, but I feel like autism, learning disorders, and so forth are another case where lived experience is important but not the only thing that should qualify someone to work in that area.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Read article in Times today about how most people don’t have depression, anxiety, PTSD and it’s ok to just be a bit sad. It’s also ok to be ok which is a bit of a bad word at the moment with the pandemic and all. I’ve had depression, been medicated and therapy and I was a mess. I didn’t clean, I didn’t shower, my personal care was non existent. I was a terrible friend and horrible in relationships. I treated myself very badly. It was a while ago so there was more stigma and I was scared of telling people. I’m better now. I’m very grateful and terrified of how my brain could change again. The acceptance of depression and anxiety means everyone can be open about it but it’s also not just being a bit sad. Also while these illnesses now abound in media, the less well understood like schizophrenia and BPD are still hushed up and not as publicised. Every celebrity has depression or bipolar, none have BPD except that fabulously funny guy who dances in a leotard and explains about suicidal thoughts .
Exactly!! A lot of influencers will also abuse their 'mental health issues' (either real or performative) in order to skip out on doing things and excuse some of their nastier/more inconsiderate actions, which seriously impacts the way people view people with mental health problems. Depression and anxiety are unfortunately becoming catch-all terms for everything, especially with celebrities (and D-Listers like Jack!), yet most people fail to address the less media-friendly symptoms of these illnesses, as you mentioned! Plus there's a lot of disinformation out there that's bound to confuse more impressionable social media users :/

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I don't understand these accounts that make their entire focus & personality centre on their mental illness/neurodivergence. I thought that most people wanted to think less about their poor mental health and work on being able to live a 'normal' life despite any symptoms? I've seen a lot of teenagers base everything on their depression/anxiety etc and that seems fair enough due to their age, but when adults do this constantly and even monetize it, it just feels odd. Perhaps it's because a lot of people I've known (including myself) have really struggled through mental illness, and wouldn't even dream of making some quirky post about how cute and unique sufferers of their MH issue are?
It also prevents people from 'getting better' too. If your whole personality is based on depression for example, you feel like you need to stay in your own bubble and anytime you step out of that darkness will feel inauthentic. I definitely think there is a difference between people born with the potential to have MH issues and those who develop them because of life circumstances. The ones who cling to their diagnosis and make it their whole lifestyle tend to be of the latter group (just imo). It becomes an excuse for all negative traits, and becomes a sad fishing pity party. But, as I just said, they can't escape that bubble if it consumes them so fully that it becomes their primary personality. Hence, they'll never get better.

Jack is doing the same. She has clung to her poverty persona for so long, having to rewrite her own history, to keep herself relevant. She is clearly no longer in the dire straits she once claimed to be in. But, her whole brand was built up on the myth of the foodbank, the selling toys, going hungry etc etc. She is someone who needs to be the victim, a classic narc trait. This is why she has evolved her bubble, she now is on spectrums that are hard to prove by an outsider whether she's lying or not, claiming horror stories from her past, screaming to anyone who will listen about how hard done by she is. She's trapped herself by her own choices in life.

I reread Thread 31 last night, on page twenty, Jack talks about the stalking incident. However, it was two different men, one before SB, one after. Every story she tells have a sense of truth I'm sure, but, there are so many contradictions and google diagnosis, that more and more ears her story lands in are turning deaf.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
It also prevents people from 'getting better' too. If your whole personality is based on depression for example, you feel like you need to stay in your own bubble and anytime you step out of that darkness with feel inauthentic. I definitely think there is a difference between people born with the potential to have MH issues and those who develop them because of life circumstances. The ones who cling to their diagnosis and make it their whole lifestyle tend to be of the latter group (just imo). It becomes an excuse for all negative traits, and becomes a sad fishing pity party. But, as I just said, they can't escape that bubble if it consumes them so fully that it becomes their primary personality. Hence, they'll never get better.

Jack is doing the same. She has clung to her poverty persona for so long, having to rewrite her own history, to keep herself relevant. She is clearly no longer in the dire straits she once claimed to be in. But, her whole brand was built up on the myth of the foodbank, the selling toys, going hungry etc etc. She is someone who needs to be the victim, a classic narc trait. This is why is has evolved her bubble, she now is on spectrums that are hard to prove by an outsider whether she's lying or not, claiming horror stories from her past, screaming to anyone who will listen about how hard done by she is. She's trapped herself by her own choices in life.

I reread Thread 31 last night, on page twenty, Jack talks about the stalking incident. However, it was two different men, one before SB, one after. Every story she tells have a sense of truth I'm sure, but, there are so many contradictions and google diagnosis, that more and more ears her story lands in are turning deaf.
YES!!!! It's kinda dangerous to be on social media too much for that reason - it stunts your personal growth and encourages you to monetize parts of your personality, as well as seek validation from your followers and friends on there :/ Had to stop using Twitter so much because the behaviour I was seeing from other people (constant sadfishing, guilt-tripping, blaming everything on mental health issues) made me realise that it was better to go out and physically see people! Some of the people I follow have actually regressed a bit despite having really interesting lives with a group of caring and fun friends ... and it's quite sad to see. Instead of getting help (which is definitely difficult when you can't afford private therapy, tbf) they end up spending hours posting things and retweeting pictures of themselves/'my struggle' type posts... I used to be like that, especially when I was a young teenager, and it took me years of reflection to get rid of it with any degree of success. Even now it's still difficult for me not to blame things on my OCD/social anxiety, as I'm not sure when the mental illness stops and my 'true' personality starts 💀 💀 💀

• Heart
Reactions: 26
@MancBee the glamour of being Marcus Waring! Brilliant! We don’t like him much because he seems to be against the minority contestants on master chef and is always telling them they have cooked their own traditional foods ‘wrong’. He’s also mad about lamb. Loves eating lamb. He would have Jack for breakfast.
Omg John Toad is the same. Cannot stand it. The audacity to correct traditional cooking!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
@MancBee is a secret hottie pass it on!
I don't see it, I can't see Marcus as sexy......though that might be because it would be like fancying myself.

After reading that article from 2015 right through, it is clear to me that Jack is really, really mixed up. Considering all the professional help she has had (according to that article) she has not got to the root of, or addressed, any of her issues. She will never be satisfied with her life, and that is a sad way to live.

Reactions: 44
🙌🙌🙌 I can openly talk about my struggles with depression, but I daren't mention I have a personality disorder!

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Omg John Toad is the same. Cannot stand it. The audacity to correct traditional cooking!
I nearly had some sort of rage blackout at Masterchef last week because Gregg Wallace didn't know what poutine was and kept saying he didn't "get" it. Far less egregious than their lowkey racism but it just hurt my brain.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
@MancBee you handsome devil! Glad you also had the strength not to do a Jack and claim that you are a famous chef, actually, and you could make much better slop than the hospital kitchen. I know people who went a bit loo-laa after coming round from anaesthetic - temporarily, thankfully, but my gran-aunt's belief that all the doctors and nurses were in the KGB was very entertaining!

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Evening everyone, just popping in to say I’m 36 and a half and I found my first grey hair last year on July 18th. It was thick and white and wiry and I yanked the bastard straight out.

Was just gonna say this!!
Sounds like my Ex- treated them the same way.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
On topic with Jack, I wish she’d keep her facetuned nose out of autism. I don’t believe she has it, for one. If she does, then she totally misunderstands her diagnosis. She uses it as an excuse for everything, and doesn’t seem to be able to distinguish autistic traits from sheer tomfoolery.

Being autistic definitely qualifies that guy to talk about his experiences of autism. A diagnosis does not, however, qualify anyone to become some kind of figurehead or spokesperson for the condition, unless they are also fully trained and have studied extensively. There is research and careful work to be done, before you can speak on behalf of a whole community of people.
[/QUOTE]
Exactly this - I belong to several 'communities' and the self-appointed spokespeople can get seriously irritating. I think you build communities from the ground up, by doing things together in the real world and often agreeing to disagree about issues not directly related to those things, not by being a twitter expert. (David Baddiel, I am squinting so hard in your direction here)

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I nearly had some sort of rage blackout at Masterchef last week because Gregg Wallace didn't know what poutine was and kept saying he didn't "get" it. Far less egregious than their lowkey racism but it just hurt my brain.
I can not watch Masterchef because of Gregg. He makes my flesh creep. There's something about him that I feel isn't right. An exposé would not come as a surprise to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
YES!!!! It's kinda dangerous to be on social media too much for that reason - it stunts your personal growth and encourages you to monetize parts of your personality, as well as seek validation from your followers and friends on there :/ Had to stop using Twitter so much because the behaviour I was seeing from other people (constant sadfishing, guilt-tripping, blaming everything on mental health issues) made me realise that it was better to go out and physically see people! Some of the people I follow have actually regressed a bit despite having really interesting lives with a group of caring and fun friends ... and it's quite sad to see. Instead of getting help (which is definitely difficult when you can't afford private therapy, tbf) they end up spending hours posting things and retweeting pictures of themselves/'my struggle' type posts... I used to be like that, especially when I was a young teenager, and it took me years of reflection to get rid of it with any degree of success. Even now it's still difficult for me not to blame things on my OCD/social anxiety, as I'm not sure when the mental illness stops and my 'true' personality starts 💀 💀 💀
Babes, same x I def played up as a teenager because I felt it was my place in my group of friends to be the 'emo' one. Would only wear black, gothy makeup, was one of those twats in the early days of tumblr posting those crappy emo memes, lol, but thankfully I grew up and realised I could be more than that. 100% get the not knowing which aspects of me are actually me and which are the illnesses, but, fundamentally, the illnesses are me, so it's all me. If that makes sense?! Big, sunny hugs xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Congratulations to @HBF1991 for the words (I adapted them slightly so as not to be tooooo negative) and @Fruitjack for the nomination 🎉 your joint prize: this. A vegan version can be rustled up, fear not.

Recap of last thread

1. She was fleetingly angry about school lunches again.
  2. She was fleetingly angry about David Walliams again.
  3. Her cat may be thinking some thoughts.
  4. She tagged some ‘genuinely lovely’ Twitter accounts (but briefly forgot smol robots man. Awkward.) He thanked her for the mention.
  5. She never changes.
  6. [*]
    Please use the words ‘thread title’ (two separate words) when making a bid for one as it makes it easier to search. Also, try to hold off to the latter part of the thread if possible (after post #500). And remember - no swears are allowed.

There is a thread in the off topic forum called Food and Drink where off topic chat is encouraged if / when Jack is quiet.

New to Jack? Have a look at the wiki.

[*]
Only just saw the new thread, can't believe you used my words 😂😂😂

I try to avoid people like Jack Monroe at all costs so I'm mostly a lurker here as I don't follow Jack on social media.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.