Jack Monroe #170 Outrageous grifting dirtbag

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I enjoy one or two drinks occasionally but as an emetophobe I cannot risk getting blind drunk. Difficult growing up with the massive drinking culture in NI which starts in CHILDHOOD. It is shocking. I went to extreme lengths to make it appear that I was drinking more than I actually was. The irony.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I reckon it’s because the UK does have a weird relationship with alcohol and I think a lot of people abuse it to various extents. We have drunk more wine during lockdown than is good for us but never get totally ratted. So when someone stops drinking people see it as a comment on themselves and their drinking (which it isn’t) and need that person to drink to make them feel that their behaviour is normal. Im definitely reevaluating my relationship to drinking. I’m also a terrible drunk now, sleepy, cry or sick without the fun.
Same in regards to having a bad time when drunk! I get why people like to drink, and love an occasional sesh myself, but the depressive come-down lasts for days and makes me feel awful, so it's rarely worth the initial fun.

Everyone says that the younger generations are starting to drink less alcohol, but I don't think that's strictly true, at least not within my friend group. I have a lot of friends who have worrying responses to alcohol and rely on it far more than is normal, even for uni students, but if I call it into question everybody gets defensive about it. I find it really upsetting that friends who are at real risk of becoming alcoholics are being encouraged to binge-drink - in fact it's still common for people to boast about drinking 50+ units a week as if that's not a huge health risk.

Certain people I knew who didn't want to drink were called into question all the time by the big drinkers, but absolutely awful drunken behaviour was completely brushed off the next morning. The fact everyone I know (and more) has been drinking heavily on every chance they get (including my dad, ouch) is ... uncomfortable to say the least. Maybe it's because I spent a fair amount of time as a teenager forced to tag along to my relatives' pub crawls, feeling crap because I was a liability past 6pm and my uncles & dad are dodgy when drunk?? I guess I just don't understand why people feel the need to get defensive and aggressive when someone chooses not to drink, especially when a majority of drunk people are absolutely no fun to be around when you're sober (myself included - i'm an absolute idiot when drunk...so no change there)

One of my older friends in first year based his entire personality around being drunk all the time, and casually mentioned that his tolerance had been decreasing lately. Warning bells were going off in my head, especially when he talked of other symptoms of serious issues; he'd mentioned the doctor telling him not to drink so much, but he dismissed that as 'nonsense'. Thankfully now he's changed his ways, but at the time it was very worrying.

• Sad
Reactions: 25
Nice one for everyone putting alcohol chat in spoilers. Having a conversation is great for sure but let’s try to make it easier for people catching up to skim through if they choose to. Ta!

• Heart
Reactions: 51
omg I was about to ask about the reaction! was it a face/neck rash? I have no allergy to anything else, but for a few years in my late 20s sometimes (but weirdly not always) when I drank I got a rash, now my sister who is a similar age is suffering the same! I haven't had it in years, so bizarre
My SiL has just developed a similar thing. She can no longer drink wine, Prosecco or champagne, brings her face out in rash, swollen eyes and itchy nose. She’s okay with gin though.

Reactions: 10
I drink quite heavily when I'm out, but definitely cut down over the years. Not for any particular reason, I just don't think drinking is worth the calories when I could have cheese instead. I don't really drink at home, maybe one glass of wine or one gin a month.

However I am having a slight issue where I've now taken some sort of reaction to alcohol 3 times. At first I thought it was because it was a cheap premade one. Then I thought it was the food colouring in a cocktail. However the most recent one was because of a really nice bottle of wine! It wasn't even reduced in Tesco! Weirdest thing was I had a glass of the same wine (different bottle) the previous month and was fine. Very weird.

I was so annoyed and my face was so sore. (Admittedly I just took an antihistamine and finished the glass). I still have most of the bottle in the fridge so I made a really nice risotto last night 😂

I find myself having a similar thing, it's like the skin on my palms have become quiet itchy as well for some reason

Reactions: 8
My SiL has just developed a similar thing. She can no longer drink wine, Prosecco or champagne, brings her face out in rash, swollen eyes and itchy nose. She’s okay with gin though.
for me was always random, apart from champagne which I now don't ever drink, but sometimes would also be wine

Nice one for everyone putting alcohol chat in spoilers. Having a conversation is great for sure but let’s try to make it easier for people catching up to skim through if they choose to. Ta!
Can I ask how you put something in a spoiler?

Is this not a bit late. Wasn't the food parcels for lockdown, homeschool. Most kids are back to school now or have I got it wrong?! Please tell me if I have.
A lot of schools are doing Easter food parcels/provision for kids on free school meals. Actually not sure if it was mandated by the government or voluntary for each council this time though.

ETA: looks like the government said a week of provision https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...vid-19-free-school-meals-guidance-for-schools

Reactions: 15
omg I was about to ask about the reaction! was it a face/neck rash? I have no allergy to anything else, but for a few years in my late 20s sometimes (but weirdly not always) when I drank I got a rash, now my sister who is a similar age is suffering the same! I haven't had it in years, so bizarre
So weird! I'm in my late 20s too. I googled it and got taken to menopause websites and that freaked me out. Yup face neck rash but with a very defined cut of point on my neck and hairline. I really hope it goes away lol. I feel for your sister! I'm the same, it's only sometimes which makes me nervous when I have a drink.
I find myself having a similar thing, it's like the skin on my palms have become quiet itchy as well for some reason
It's so annoying and a wee bit scary!
Is this not a bit late. Wasn't the food parcels for lockdown, homeschool. Most kids are back to school now or have I got it wrong?! Please tell me if I have.
That's what I thought, it's a weird parcel though. How weird, maybe it was a food bank rather than a school one?

Reactions: 17
omg that question was the bane of my life when I was vegetarian, I eat meat now but probably haven't eaten bacon for about 20 years regardless, I don't get the obsession!
Same! I am a meat eater and I could take or leave bacon. Couldn’t tell you the last time I ate it, don’t get the obsession either

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.