Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

EmilyChambers

VIP Member
I made it onto our local Facebook neighbourhood page last week because I had a skip delivered. They put it on our drive, no contact was made, he tapped the window to let me know it was on the drive and I responded with an awkward thank you thumbs up gesture. The road was not happy that I was endangering the skip lorry drivers life and that a skip isn't essential.

I've still got my skip and lots of lovely space in it and the same arse who took a pic of the front of my house with the skip and put it on there to slag me off has spent 3.5 hours in the queue for the tip today and is "furious" because they were only accepting garden waste and household waste, not the chest of drawers he was trying to dispose off.

The neighbourly thing would let him use my skip but tough, he can fuck off!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 81

grumpy-nosy-cow

VIP Member
was anyone watching the Life and Birth programme on BBc1?
At the end there was a picture of one of the neonatal consultants who appeared in tonights episode with dates..he died in April of Covid.
He was only 48. its really upset me. he probably helped save so many childrens lives and brought joy to so many families .it just seems so wrong that so many healthcare workers are losing their lives (every life lost to this vile virus is wrong) when they do everything they can to save others 😕

• Sad
Reactions: 36

MakeMineADouble

VIP Member
Wow! A hell of a lot of judgement going on today! ‘Piss poor parenting’ and ‘selfish’ are words that I’ve read (and I’ve given up reading any further!)

This thread is to discuss Coronoavirus, not to judge each other’s parenting! I’m sure we are all doing what we believe is right for our families!

Rant over, as you were 😒

• Heart
Reactions: 35

KateESJ

VIP Member
Re: kids going to school.

I’ll assess it in September but I’m hoping we’ll be in a position for school to start.

But if not then my child will be staying home.

🤷🏼‍♀️
FDCBD70B-A40F-4FC4-8120-D75743AF14CC.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 34

Noseybonk

VIP Member
That shocked me as well. Mine are 9, 10, and 12 and we've been out every day for our hour of fresh air (often more like 2 hrs tbh #rebel) and as their Mum I've made that a non-negotiable.

There is a reason the govenment have consistently encouraged those who aren't shielding to go outside for daily exersize; it's really vital for your mental and physical health.

I don't want to be too judgemental, but there's no sugar-coating it sometimes, and to oversee a teenager not leaving the house for approx 7 weeks (without any particular reason) is piss poor parenting by anyones standards.

I have no doubt that if allowed, my kids would sit on gadgets all bloody day, and always decline fresh air(!), but I'm the adult in the relationship so I make suee they get their fruit and veg, fresh air, academic input, emotional support. I mean fuck me I ain't no Mary Poppins but 7 weeks of staying inside 🤯🙁😮
Are you me? Do you know my son? No. He’s been in the back garden as I said but he had no desire to go for a walk. Now he has, and I will make sure he keeps doing it. He eats healthily and gets emotional support. I also had and recovered from Corona at the beginning of the lockdown and he wasn’t in a rush to go outside because of seeing that too. I feel this is quite a calm response compared to what you have written.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
On my walk today I saw a deflated helium balloon caught up in a road sign. It has a note attached to it “rip grandad. Our nhs hero” heartbreaking

• Sad
Reactions: 32

MakeMineADouble

VIP Member
I’m glad I didn’t have GMB on this morning, I have a soft spot for Dr Hilary 💔

On a brighter note, I just saw that I’ve been awarded VIP status.

I just want to thank my mum, my friends, my loved ones. But the biggest thanks goes to you.... the Coronavirus thread. Without you, I wouldn’t be where I am today. Without you, I wouldn’t have a voice to raise my concerns and worries (mainly the fear that one by one, we are starting to feel attraction towards Raab, Whitty, Rishi etc). Without you, I wouldn’t have been able to share the excitement of the ‘will it, won’t it’ possible openings of Ikea, McDonald’s (and other fast food establishments) And for that, I thank you.

C5133737-93A6-4847-9570-DA7B55CFBFEB.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
Update on #cakegate

it wasn’t cake in the end it was churros. I could have left them, but I didn’t. I washed my hands and devoured each and every one of the greasy little bastards that were coated in delicious cinnamon sugar.

now I have poured a wine. Medicinal of course.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29

LittleMy

VIP Member
Can we stop shaming each other? It’s doing absolutely nothing for the already fraught mood of the thread. Not trying to moderate at all, just a suggestion really, but life is hard enough at the moment for everyone without being at each others’ throats. This thread is normally a place for us to discuss things with both seriousness and humour. That’s just how I feel. Feel free to shoot me down if you like.

Honestly, don’t tempt me to move into The Men of Downing Street thread. I don’t like any of them. 😭

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

Ciechoslava

I dont understand why the government hasnt just extended the key worker list to include more sectors and let the children of the sectors required to go back to work go back to school. I also dont understand the whole parent shaming really. Schools and department of Education have all said there will be no penalties for children not attending why dont those parents who’s children dont need to attend just keep them home and be quiet? I really dont get it 😩😩 so many posts on social media from parents saying its not right that schools are opening bla bla bla and at the same time saying they wont be sending their children back.. well thats brilliant Susan but why are you even bothering to bloody make the post? To convince yourself or others that you are doing the right thing? Everyones cicrumstances are different and we cant all afford to keep our children home and not go back to work. 🤷🏼‍♀️

When you talk about how you’ll be doing the right thing by keeping your child off school when the doors reopen, you make another mother who has no choice but to return to work to feed her kids feel shame. When you talk about how you’ll be proudly sending your kids to school to protect their development and mental health you make another mother who is shielding due to illness and won’t be able to send her kids to school feel overwhelmed with guilt. We all have our preferences and opinions. Shouting about them on Facebook doesn’t make them the right or wrong ones.

#justsaying 💓

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
Even if we don't get a vaccine this virus won't always be like this. Viruses exist to replicate, killing their host isn't in its best interests. So eventually it will evolve not to be so deadly. I remeber when HIV was first makjnbbthe waves, the fear and the scary adverts. Yet now its not a death sentence and we have come so far in terms of treatment and even possible cure. Life won't always be like this, we will learn to live alongside it. We are still very early into finding out about it, there are some exciting trials going on in regards to treatment.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

mummy2under2

VIP Member
Had our ELISA COVID Antibody test results back this morning...
We've both tested positive for IgG antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 indicating we both have contracted the virus previously.

I was so sure we had it too and I'm glad we have.
We both had awful flu when we came back from France in Feb and knocked us for six.
The boys picked up coughs although nothing unusual but now I'm wondering whether they also had contracted it.
🤷🏻‍♀️

• Wow

prinnygrace

VIP Member
My 89 year old Nan has been struggling with loneliness the last few days. She’s normally out at a different labour/social club or bingo every day or the week as well as visits every day from children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. One of her great grandchildren is only 5 months and it’s really hurting her that she’s only met him once. Today I said fuck it and went and sat in her garden, socially distanced for 3 hours. She can’t get to a park and I was worried for her. Nobody was harmed, I didn’t set foot in the house and it’s lifted her spirits no end.

I think it’s got to the point that we all just have to way up the pros and cons and as long as we aren’t being silly then ultimately do what suits you and your family.

• Heart
  • Sad

caitlinbullen

VIP Member
No outdoor time for nursery kids? Only table work and no play for Y1? Sounds horrendous and totally against everything eyfs should be. I totally get reasonable adjustments need made, but to me that doesn’t sound reasonable. Surely being outside there is more space to socially distance the kids?

Interested to see how it all works. That implies that every school has a load of extra classrooms. My kids school has 6 classrooms for 7 year groups (one class is composite). No way of it working at all there.
Agreed. In my experience (extensive, but not exhaustive!), staff and school leaders want to do their jobs but the plans from the government will be a logistical nightmare in many settings (staff ratios, physical space, and resources).

Similar to many in the medical professional (nurses, social workers, care assistants etc.), education professionals really don’t do it for the money. Trust me...the money is very average, term-time hours take the actual piss, and they still work a fair amount of time during holidays. I’m not a teacher myself, but have worked in education for many years previously.

In addition to the most likely nightmarish day of trying to socially distance young children, you’re likely spend most of your evenings responding to emails from parents with comments like “Betsy said that Eric definitely shared her pencil today; I’m sick with worry...how can this have been allowed to happen.”, to “When I dropped off Evie today I noticed that you were standing slightly less than 2 mtrs from another parent when you were talking to them- I do hope that isn’t a regular occurrence.” The whole situation makes me want to weep for the teachers I know...and yet I know they’ll make the best of it for the kids in their classes.

I know I sound a bit ranty....but just a bit sick of people saying that so many professions are making the most of a bad situation, why are teachers complaining about going back? Umm...because they have your beautiful children in their care! And not only do they really give a crap about your kids, but they will be well aware that you won’t hesitate to have an absolute pop at them if you feel that your child (or you, by proxy), hasn’t been properly protected, right?

If our government can’t get their act together with PPE and my loved one dies because a medical professional refused to care for them in the absence of appropriate PPE- who is to blame? I wouldn’t blame the doctor or nurse one bit. The government has blood on its hands. I am happy to keep my kids at home on 1st June and encourage schools to pushback to this government in regard to their utter lack of consideration/consultation with school leaders before they made such a rash and potentially unachievable proposals.

Boris just wants to get the economy moving- and the evidence thus far suggests that kids are in all likelihood low-risk carriers- so he’s happy to push on through regardless of huge concerns from within the profession. As I say....blood on their hands and a massive risk to so many of us. Selfish fucker who is happy to roll the dice with kids and staff in schools for the sake of getting the economy moving a month or two earlier. Don’t know why I’m surprised....Boris shows scant regard for any of his wives or children-why would he give a crap about anyone else?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

mummy2under2

VIP Member
I’m really sorry if some of this has already been said, I am so fucking angry. They’ve opened beach huts where we live! Let me get this straight, I’m allowed to go to the beach, the beach huts, the park, a bench that a ton of people could have coughed over....I’m allowed to go wherever I want. With strangers but I cant see my mum??
I dont understand why this is still so hard for people to comprehend (not just aimed at you).
You are not going to hug or kiss a bench.
You're not going to hug or embrace a stranger at the beach.
But you will hug your mum.
Im pretty sure you'd rather walk on a beach alone than potentially infect your mum.
Yes...its shit, but it's not hard to understand the justifications.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 26

KateESJ

VIP Member
Nope he hasn’t. The furthest he’s been until today is the front porch with the door open to clap on a Thursday. 😳 He’s been in the back garden a couple of times but that’s it. He refused walks and didn’t want to go anywhere and I think his exams being taken away (he’s 16 and was about to do GCSEs) initially shocked and confused him, and he has been sleeping, eating, and shooting zombies ever since. Today I pushed him more and he enjoyed it so I am going to see if I can get him out every evening.
I wouldn’t worry. I only found out a few days ago that my neighbour actually HAS a teenage son. I’ve lived here almost 6 months.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25

50sGirl

VIP Member
That shocked me as well. Mine are 9, 10, and 12 and we've been out every day for our hour of fresh air (often more like 2 hrs tbh #rebel) and as their Mum I've made that a non-negotiable.

There is a reason the govenment have consistently encouraged those who aren't shielding to go outside for daily exersize; it's really vital for your mental and physical health.

I don't want to be too judgemental, but there's no sugar-coating it sometimes, and to oversee a teenager not leaving the house for approx 7 weeks (without any particular reason) is piss poor parenting by anyones standards.

I have no doubt that if allowed, my kids would sit on gadgets all bloody day, and always decline fresh air(!), but I'm the adult in the relationship so I make suee they get their fruit and veg, fresh air, academic input, emotional support. I mean fuck me I ain't no Mary Poppins but 7 weeks of staying inside 🤯🙁😮
Perhaps by staying inside she meant not left their property, rather than not gone in their garden.
Mine haven’t gone outside our gates either and no I am not a “piss poor“ parent thank you very much!

And yes you ARE being extremely judgemental.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Hayles1990

Just a little rant I’ve been made to feel so utterly awful that I’ve actually deleted Facebook as I cannot take anymore negativity. I initially didn’t want to send my 6 year old back to year 1, however this week schooling her has been awful, I am not cut out to teach her and it’s just making both of us stressed and upset so I changed my mind...stupidly stupidly replied to comment on a friends status on my reasoning for sending her back but I would never judge anyone for what they do (they asked, that was point of the status) and received THIS REPLY:

“Fair enough if YOU want to be one of those responsible for the virus getting out of hand again, fair enough if YOU want your child to be a guinea pig. Fair enough if you want to kill your child. Fair enough if you want lockdown to come back harsher....you have no need to have your children at school, you don’t work...selfish selfish selfish”

I deleted my Facebook as I simply cannot take anymore negativity...I am very open with this ‘friend’ about my mental health and that I have had to call The Samaritans twice since the start, maybe I am selfish? I do ‘work’ infact, I am self employed as a freelance graphic designer, I have four kids and I am really struggling. I haven’t once been out for a walk or been to a crowded place as I feel we have a garden and can save the outside world for people that need it. I have really needed my mum and however many time’s she has offered to have the kids because of how I’m feeling I have said no. Sorry for the long post but I am so upset and really really angry.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 24