Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #33

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My friend went to a Garden Centre and said there wasn't many people in but tbh I dont think they will be because its mostly old people that go to garden Centres and they wont be going out because most will be vulnerable and with the Cafe not being open they cant have a sit down and a drink.

Reactions: 2
I spoke with our senco earlier and I explained I won’t be sending my child back as he won’t understand all the rules nor will I have him triggered which will impact him on his mental health. I asked how they are going to stick to his ECHP?, He’s supposed to have 1:1 at all times and I honestly can’t see how that would work so that he’s safe.

His senco said we honestly don’t know how we are going to do anything everything you have said is what we’re raising and more no-one is answering those questions they are just asking us to return loads of children back to school and it’s not going to work.

It’s so sad that they are being pressured into doing this
So is the general consensus from teachers that opening in June is a terrible idea?

I'm still trying to make a decision. I've got two due to go back. A year 6 who is desperate to go back and one in Year 1 who may have extra needs (not diagnosed yet) but doesn't receive one on one and is quite good at following rules at school under normal circumstances.

My reasons in favour of them attending are that I think I've had Covid and therefore they have likely had it too and they are both showing signs of finding lockdown life difficult. The one in Year 6 is feeling very down about things.

Reasons against are concern the impact on their mental health could be worse from how things will be at school.
Worry that the illness I had wasn't Covid and so they are still at risk.
A real concern for the teachers and how they feel about it all.

Part of me wants to help get life back to normal but the other part thinks that as hard as lockdown is at times, do I want to alter things in a way that could potentially destabilise things further?

Sorry for the rambling post.

Reactions: 3
Also, NO PPE and NO MASKS allowed in this school even fabric ones as its deemed more risky?

Many teachers are worried SICK.
The no need for ppe in schools just screams herd immunity. 😒

Reactions: 10
179 British service personnel and at least 3 UK Government civilian staff died. 138 was personnel who died in hostile circumstances.
Yes I know I was nit picking ! 138 died in "battle" the rest sickness ,suicide and friendly fire..

I saw Haven put a Facebook post up earlier. They are allowing people to book caravans for July, nothing on the sites will be open other then a shop and takeaway, it's also pretty cheap.

Not sure how I feel about it.. on one hand if this is still on in August we may book for the week we were meant to be in Spain, on the other what's the point.
We booked haven for 13th of July. We wanted to go cornwall (good 8 hour trip inc stop offs). Weve never been in a caravan before and chose haven for the kids (wouldnt dream of going in one other wise, no offence).
The onsite facilities were great if weather wasnt too good.
So now I've potentially spent £800 to sit in a massive bean tin for a week, cant go anywhere other that a take away and a shop 😒
I wish they would just cancel ours.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Oh wow! I don’t have kids sorry so am out of touch with how teenagers are. Have been out every day for a walk for an hour - the sunshine has helped my mood so much! Hope he enjoyed it and the fresh air!
That shocked me as well. Mine are 9, 10, and 12 and we've been out every day for our hour of fresh air (often more like 2 hrs tbh #rebel) and as their Mum I've made that a non-negotiable.

There is a reason the govenment have consistently encouraged those who aren't shielding to go outside for daily exersize; it's really vital for your mental and physical health.

I don't want to be too judgemental, but there's no sugar-coating it sometimes, and to oversee a teenager not leaving the house for approx 7 weeks (without any particular reason) is piss poor parenting by anyones standards.

I have no doubt that if allowed, my kids would sit on gadgets all bloody day, and always decline fresh air(!), but I'm the adult in the relationship so I make suee they get their fruit and veg, fresh air, academic input, emotional support. I mean duck me I ain't no Mary Poppins but 7 weeks of staying inside 🤯🙁😮

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
I'll be back at work so mine will have to go back to school. I have been going back and forth over it and I think I'm okay with him going, my husband is probably a bigger risk considering he's working with people that have it.

Reactions: 2
This may be an unpopular view but if you send your child back on the 1st Of june knowing teachers are scared and unprotected, that it's not going to be normal and you dont have work it's pretty selfish. The less kids the safer for everyone, so if there is a way around sending them you should take it. It wont be a normal environment that helps their mental health at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
That shocked me as well. Mine are 9, 10, and 12 and we've been out every day for our hour of fresh air (often more like 2 hrs tbh #rebel) and as their Mum I've made that a non-negotiable.

There is a reason the govenment have consistently encouraged those who aren't shielding to go outside for daily exersize; it's really vital for your mental and physical health.

I don't want to be too judgemental, but there's no sugar-coating it sometimes, and to oversee a teenager not leaving the house for approx 7 weeks (without any particular reason) is piss poor parenting by anyones standards.

I have no doubt that if allowed, my kids would sit on gadgets all bloody day, and always decline fresh air(!), but I'm the adult in the relationship so I make suee they get their fruit and veg, fresh air, academic input, emotional support. I mean duck me I ain't no Mary Poppins but 7 weeks of staying inside 🤯🙁😮
My two are 11 and 13 and due to myself shielding they're unable to go for daily walks but we still shove them both outside in the garden for an hour a day regardless of whether they want to or not as it's good for their mental health. My teenage son puts up more of a fight than my daughter but I think he's slowly realising that there's no point arguing as he's going outside anyway. He would happily sit in his room if we let him

• Heart
Reactions: 4

If you can force an older teen to go a walk when they refuse, I take my hat off to you ..a 12 yr old and a 16,17,18 yr old are not in the same league and it's got nothing to do with bad parenting it's personal choice on their part.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

My older teenager has been exactly the same. He's occasionally pottered in to the garden for an hour but he hasn't wanted to come out for a walk with us at all. I usually have very strict restrictions on screen time / gaming but I have relaxed those as let's face it there's no reason not to , he doesn't have to get up early for school etc. He has done all his online school work with minimal moaning so if that's how he has wanted to spend his time rather than walking with us. I don't have a problem with that. He's safe , he's happy , he's getting excellent feedback from his teachers and pre covid he wouldn't have been seen dead out for a walk with his mum and younger siblings .

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My older teenager has been exactly the same. He's occasionally pottered in to the garden for an hour but he hasn't wanted to come out for a walk with us at all. I usually have very strict restrictions on screen time / gaming but I have relaxed those as let's face it there's no reason not to , he doesn't have to get up early for school etc. He has done all his online school work with minimal moaning so if that's how he has wanted to spend his time rather than walking with us. I don't have a problem with that. He's safe , he's happy , he's getting excellent feedback from his teachers and pre covid he wouldn't have been seen dead out for a walk with his mum and younger siblings .
Exactly this👆it is not a cool thing to be seen with parents .They'd rather be facetiming or chatting online to their friends,if they can't" meet up" with the crowd they don't see a point of going for a walk on their own.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
This may be an unpopular view but if you send your child back on the 1st Of june knowing teachers are scared and unprotected, that it's not going to be normal and you dont have work it's pretty selfish. The less kids the safer for everyone, so if there is a way around sending them you should take it. It wont be a normal environment that helps their mental health at all.
Some children are very desperate to get back to school. I don’t think it’s selfish of a parent to make that choice to send them if it’s what they feel is best. Every parent is faced with a difficult decision and should feel supported regardless. No matter what their decision, if it’s right for their family and their children then it’s a good decision

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Are you me? Do you know my son? No. He’s been in the back garden as I said but he had no desire to go for a walk. Now he has, and I will make sure he keeps doing it. He eats healthily and gets emotional support. I also had and recovered from Corona at the beginning of the lockdown and he wasn’t in a rush to go outside because of seeing that too. I feel this is quite a calm response compared to what you have written.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Are you me? Do you know my son? No. He’s been in the back garden as I said but he had no desire to go for a walk. Now he has, and I will make sure he keeps doing it. He eats healthily and gets emotional support. I also had and recovered from Corona at the beginning of the lockdown and he wasn’t in a rush to go outside because of seeing that too. I feel this is quite a calm response compared to what you have written.
Fair enough 😁 I am sorry if my post came across as overly judgemental and hurt your feelings. I was/am still genuinely shocked that an otherwise fit and well teenager hasn't left their home in 7 weeks. However, I can see from other replies that I am entirely in the minority and bow to that xxxxx Best wishes, and glad to hear that you recovered btw!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I'm not a teenager but not much older than it, I work from home so spend 8 hours a day(ish) at my desk working and then by the time i'm done i wanna just chill and catch up with friends or tv with my fam. I haven't been out much at all - had to pop to a few shops for bits I personally need and a few walks/runs but I dont like having to dodge people on paths and the times i can go for walks is when a lot of others are out. I go into the garden when its sunny at weekends and relax/do gardening. I dont think its that uncommon for people to be staying in - especially when its so easy to communicate with friends via tech its not like people are just sat alone in the dark festering.

Reactions: 14
Some children are very desperate to get back to school. I don’t think it’s selfish of a parent to make that choice to send them if it’s what they feel is best. Every parent is faced with a difficult decision and should feel supported regardless. No matter what their decision, if it’s right for their family and their children then it’s a good decision
Desperate to get back to the school they knew, which is not what it will be for this term.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Question would you rather send your older kids back who can understand about social distance or the younger ones?

Reactions: 1

Perhaps by staying inside she meant not left their property, rather than not gone in their garden.
Mine haven’t gone outside our gates either and no I am not a “piss poor“ parent thank you very much!

And yes you ARE being extremely judgemental.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Desperate to get back to the school they knew, which is not what it will be for this term.
I understand that completely but there may be a lot of other reasons that parents need that support. It’s not just the mental health of the children but also of their parents. Take a child with severe extra needs for example, parents rely on schools for that bit of help and respite. I don’t think we can classify all parents who send their children to school in June as selfish when we don’t know the individual situations and reasons for them making that choice.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.