Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
My nieces birthday is end of September and she’s asked for a Christmas themed birthday 🤣 She wants the tree up, Christmas dinner the lot for her 8th birthday, what a dream

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 30

coconochanel

VIP Member
Merry Christmas everyone, today is my Christmas in August day 😊 I was wondering 'what do I normally eat for breakfast on Christmas day?' then I remembered chocolate obviously, so chocolate for breakfast it is!:ROFLMAO:

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29

ScoutFinch

I can’t wait for Christmas! Our first baby is due in autumn and I can’t wait to start doing all little traditions. I know they won’t have a clue but I’ll enjoy it 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 28

coconochanel

VIP Member
How was your Christmas in August @coconochanel ? 🎄
Was just coming on to give my update 😊 . TBH I've really enjoyed it, I had a roast dinner (chicken not turkey) then watched some Christmas films (Love Actually and Elf)while enjoying some Quality St's, I've just had my cheese board and now I'm watching James Bond ( I mean it's not Christmas without a JB film is it) the only things missing are annoying relatives and opening some gifts :ROFLMAO:.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Carefree

VIP Member
I've been spending Christmas Day on my own for years now and the best thing about it? Just doing what I want when I want. The dog gets walked whilst I'm in my new Christmas pajamas. I then make a coffee with Baileys before popping open the bubbly and having proper Bucks Fizz. Beyond that, I just go with picky bits. No schedule. No *must have white sauce* panic. If anything, it's the one day a year I'm just let to my own devices and it's great.

Maybe look at it as a change of pace and lean into the freedom of it?

• Heart
Reactions: 27

coconochanel

VIP Member
Although its only June and the sun is out IM ALL FOR THIS THREAD! 🤣🙌🎅🎄🎁
No idea what my plans are yet but I have been noting down idea for gifts if I see things I think someone would like or they mention something they like.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

HoGi

VIP Member
Think the guy in Argos thought I was mad! Gave him my collection details and he was like riiiiight so this is for....4 Christmas trees?!?!?!

• Haha
Reactions: 24

Megansnarkle

VIP Member
Screenshot_20230823_162539_Gallery.jpg

I screenshotted this tweet to send to my sister so she's ready in case my nephew ever asks why they don't have an elf!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24

Glaschelle

VIP Member
My sister keeps asking who is hosting Xmas this year (she's been asking since January 🙄) as I normally host (bigger house - not a brag just more practical) and they want to host this year.

I sound like a brat but I really don't want them to host Xmas. To me Xmas Dinner is such a big thing and her husband is a great cook but he is totally style over substance. Their dining table is in an unheated conservatory and they only have 1 oven (we like 2 meats so isnt easy with a single oven). When they hosted Easter last year the food looked great but was cold. We had purple carrots and cavelo nero etc. All nice stuff but it's not a traditional Xmas/easter dinner.

Also they never have a roast dinner during the year. Whereas me and the husband have them every other week, so we are dab hands at a roast.

We stayed at theirs last weekend and he burnt a bagel when making breakfast and it was this huge disaster. So God forbid something goes wrong with Xmas dinner.
You can make sure you have a turkey and another meat for boxing day.

Just go with flow, turned up dressed up to the nines and be pleased you don't need to do the cooking

• Heart
Reactions: 22

KindnessWins

The thought of having to get all dressed up and go out the house for dinner at a restaurant on Xmas day is my idea of hell. I would be sitting there with gravy down my front needing a nap🤣

plus, I like my food in stages,

Stage 1)starter / soup

Then wee nap on sofa

Stage 2) the big event - the main. Give me aw the meats 🤤🤤

Then another wee lie on the sofa
Jammies on🥰

Stage 3) dessert, in the living room, whilst watching TV and watching kids playing with toys.

But we’re not finished yet. My favourite stage is stage 4!

Stage 4) a piece and meat dooked in gravy 🤤🤤🤤

Eating is an all day thing and I’d hate to be rushed or restrained for a couple of hours 🐷🐷

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I know it's still June. 🤣

I don't actually tend to do much myself. I didn't decorate or buy a tree last year.

I don't buy presents for my parents or my siblings as the youngest is now 20.

I skipped going to my grandfather's house, so didn't feel the pressure of buying for my cousin's kids or aunt.

I bought gifts for four people. Three of them were just £10 Starbucks gift cards with a small note attached. Even though it was small I still got hugs. Someone else got a £25 M&S gift card and a box of fruit delivered to his home.

I've always found I enjoyed counting down the days to Christmas as it was something to look forward to.

I love all the movies and the lights the most.

Have you thought about Christmas? What are your plans?

• Heart

Silverback

VIP Member
Joining excitedly! Christmas has been rough for me for several years due to toxic family problems and then the death of a close family member on Xmas eve. 6 years on and I feel like I’ve crossed a bridge somewhat and I can actually enjoy myself.

Me and the kids got loads of zany colourful decorations like dinosaurs etc over the last few years but having done over the living room in neutrals I feel like I just want a peaceful white decorated tree down here- so the zany decorated tree might have to go upstairs and a new tree might have to arrive with new white decorations…

Also excited for Xmas shopping in London- soaking up the atmos and getting bits from Fortnums.

• Heart

ATV2021

VIP Member
I used some inheritance money to get myself a Balsam Hill tree a couple of years ago. I have absolutely 0 regrets it's the most beautiful tree ever lol I have like main "filler" big glass type baubles then everything else has a meaning/in memory of someone/somewhere so it's all very special (to me).

• Heart

Meg78

VIP Member
Those of you with children - What traditions do you have with your little ones? It's my daughters first 'proper' Christmas this year and I'd love to start some traditions as my family didn't really have any growing up so not sure where to start... (I've already booked a Santa visit at the zoo 😁) x
-Santas grotto at a Garden centre in the days prior
-Christmas Eve in pjs watching movies, making hot chocolates, playing with lego and play doh, maybe a trip to the park if they need to blow off steam
-turn the clocks forward an hour in the afternoon without the kids noticing as bedtime will be constant delays
-set out a mince pie, a carrot and a glass of milk for Santa the night before
-sprinkle “reindeer food” (bird seed and edible glitter) outside on the front lawn
-whilst I’m reading a Christmas story at bedtime, dad sneaks outside to jingle some hand bells softly and the kids get excited that Santa is on his way
-stockings appear at the foot of the bed for the morning, filled with a terrys chocolate orange, some fancy pens for school, and a few stocking filler small gifts (kids open this whilst parents get an extra half hour in bed!)
-dad has to go downstairs first to check if Santa has been whilst the rest wait upstairs
-carnage ensues, gifts are opened with mum looking pleased and dad looking just as surprised as the kids, followed by bacon sandwiches and chocolate for breakfast, Buck’s Fizz for the adults

We don’t have a Christmas Eve box or new pyjamas tradition as so many do, I do try to make sure we have some pjs in a festive colour or tartan for that month but no pressure if kids want a onesie instead, we just have a very chilled, low demand day as a family with nowhere else we need to be.

A tradition my parents had which was quite nice was to take us all out for a Christmas Eve dinner at a pub with a kids soft play. It means they didn’t have to prep or wash up and we were full and knackered when we got home. I don’t do this as my child is sen and struggles with the overwhelm but I’ve often thought it’s a great idea for others to try!

Last edited:
  • Heart