Christmas 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been out to a few different places in the past and I would say avoid typcial chain places if you want a more homely, cosy vibe. I'd avoid any carvery style places, they don't have a nice atmosphere and you're a bit rushed due to the time slots allocated. You've also got to go up and get your own grub. Try and find a pub that will decorate the place nicely, and not cram too many bookings in if possible, as this can also affect the quality of food and service.

My local spa hotel did an outstanding Xmas menu, but it was expensive and has already sold out for this year 😳 I think it was fully booked by July!
I’d much rather something in a cozy place and for that I’d budget a lot more. But absolutely not for miller and Carter it’s shite. I’ve tried googling but I’m only new to the area so it’s hard to know.
Thanks for the response,

Reactions: 1
I’d much rather something in a cozy place and for that I’d budget a lot more. But absolutely not for miller and Carter it’s shite. I’ve tried googling but I’m only new to the area so it’s hard to know.
Thanks for the response,
If you're on facebook try asking for recommendations on the local community groups? I know it can be so tricky if you're new to an area, or have never been to a place before. I agree about Miller & Carter - overpriced for what it is

I find that hotels and slightly more fancy pubs that host weddings offer the best services, because they're used to catering under pressure and to a high standard.

You've got me thinking about turkey dinners now with all the trimmings 😋

We’ve gone out for Christmas Day lunch for the past 8 years, mainly as none of us have a house large enough to host 😂 It can be a bit rushed in the earlier slots, carvery one year was bleak and the Indian restaurant another year was great for those who chose Indian food, microwaved mush for those who braved roast dinner! I’d agree with above to choose either an independent pub or a smaller chain like vintage inns, they usually hover around £75 per person and are pretty decent, just make sure to leave a cash tip for those people working on Christmas Day
I worked at a Vintage Inns & did xmas day - all tips are split across the entire team (which did annoy us waiting crew because the bar staff did sweet FA!). I had a few "secret handshakes" off customers that day with like a wink 🤣 so I hid those in my bra 🙃

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
The thought of having to get all dressed up and go out the house for dinner at a restaurant on Xmas day is my idea of hell. I would be sitting there with gravy down my front needing a nap🤣

plus, I like my food in stages,

Stage 1)starter / soup

Then wee nap on sofa

Stage 2) the big event - the main. Give me aw the meats 🤤🤤

Then another wee lie on the sofa
Jammies on🥰

Stage 3) dessert, in the living room, whilst watching TV and watching kids playing with toys.

But we’re not finished yet. My favourite stage is stage 4!

Stage 4) a piece and meat dooked in gravy 🤤🤤🤤

Eating is an all day thing and I’d hate to be rushed or restrained for a couple of hours 🐷🐷

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
The thought of having to get all dressed up and go out the house for dinner at a restaurant on Xmas day is my idea of hell. I would be sitting there with gravy down my front needing a nap🤣

plus, I like my food in stages,

Stage 1)starter / soup

Then wee nap on sofa

Stage 2) the big event - the main. Give me aw the meats 🤤🤤

Then another wee lie on the sofa
Jammies on🥰

Stage 3) dessert, in the living room, whilst watching TV and watching kids playing with toys.

But we’re not finished yet. My favourite stage is stage 4!

Stage 4) a piece and meat dooked in gravy 🤤🤤🤤

Eating is an all day thing and I’d hate to be rushed or restrained for a couple of hours 🐷🐷
Haha, that’s usually me and I LOVE cooking. But last time I cooked a Christmas dinner was for himselfs family and they were so nasty to me a few days later I think I’m traumatised 🤣🤣 we went to Tenerife last year, this year I’m working.

I like to go all out cooking and feels stupid for just me and him, my husband is also one of those weird people who refuses to over eat - even at Christmas and I don’t want a lot of waste.

Reactions: 4
Thats what my bloody inlaws are like. They are all about quantity and not quality. I bleeping hate it!
That's what my mum is like, I get pure toot. I'd genuinely rather have nothing
---
Does anyone ever go out to eat on Christmas Day? It’s just me and my husband. We’ll spend the majority of it at the pub but for dinner I was thinking I didn’t want to cook.
I looked at Miller & Carter but it was £100 each and considering last year it was only £65 I refuse to pay that. I was thinking about Toby but thought that will probably be over run with kids and our closest one is a 25 min drive which means no drinking.

do we think most of them will be around £100 this year, with COL (🙄) and I’m better off getting stuff delivered in from M&S.
I've done it once, to Miller and Carter. It was rubbish! Don't get me wrong, it was nice to not have to cook (or do the washing up) but it didn't have any of the atmosphere and the food was not worth the cost of the meal. It's personal preference I suppose but I would much rather get pre-prepped stuff and bung it in the oven at home.

Reactions: 5
Haha, that’s usually me and I LOVE cooking. But last time I cooked a Christmas dinner was for himselfs family and they were so nasty to me a few days later I think I’m traumatised 🤣🤣 we went to Tenerife last year, this year I’m working.

I like to go all out cooking and feels stupid for just me and him, my husband is also one of those weird people who refuses to over eat - even at Christmas and I don’t want a lot of waste.
Covid Xmas I got me and Mr Lolz a selection of pre-ordered goodies from M&S. Best decision I ever made. Everything cooked at the same temperature plus I got what we wanted and there was zero faf as everything came out pre-prepared, just shove it in the oven.

Plus there was then left overs and I could undo my buttons and just zonk infront of the telly

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Covid Xmas I got me and Mr Lolz a selection of pre-ordered goodies from M&S. Best decision I ever made. Everything cooked at the same temperature plus I got what we wanted and there was zero faf as everything came out pre-prepared, just shove it in the oven.

Plus there was then left overs and I could undo my buttons and just zonk infront of the telly
I’m sold. Thanks!! So glad I found this thread 🤣 inspired me to start looking for Xmas decs, left all ours back in Ireland.

Reactions: 5
First Christmas just my partner, his brother and myself. Normally his parents do the dinner but they’re moving out in Sept so it’ll be us 3. Really don’t fancy slaving away for two lazy a-holes who won’t lift a finger or get off their fat asses! Any suggestions?😅

Reactions: 2
First Christmas just my partner, his brother and myself. Normally his parents do the dinner but they’re moving out in Sept so it’ll be us 3. Really don’t fancy slaving away for two lazy a-holes who won’t lift a finger or get off their fat asses! Any suggestions?😅
Buy ready made / ready prepared stuff and bung it in the oven / air fryer.

Reactions: 3
Good plan! I’m thinking the classic “picky bits”🤣 if anyone has a problem they can get off their potato bums and slave away in the kitchen themselves😒
Exactly! Is it just assumed that you’ll be doing the cooking?

Reactions: 2
Exactly! Is it just assumed that you’ll be doing the cooking?
Yep I do all the domestic/household stuff in the relationship including cooking and cleaning as I don’t work😩 starting a new job soon and it’s shift work inc night shifts so they can duck off if they think I’m lifting a finger🤦🏻‍♀️ and my partner’s brother is a useless scruffy wanker too

If it was up to me I’d cook myself a gourmet roast and they could watch me eat it to myself😅

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I completely agree with wanting a nice fresh house for new year! Many years ago I heard that you shouldn't do washing on New Years Day as it 'washes the luck away'.. I'm not even superstitious but I haven't done laundry on New Years Day since! :LOL:
My Grandma always said if you wash/clean on New Years Day or Good Friday you wash a life away 😬 I'll never forget the time I said it in passing in work and a few months later discovered a lovely guy with OCD always did his laundry like clockwork on a Friday and had been all in a stress over whether to break his routine or risk killing someone by putting a wash on 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Just told my partner I don’t want to cook on Christmas and he said I’ll help I’ll do the yorkshires🤦🏻‍♀️ god I’m living my mums life all over again shoot me please
Yorkshires are 53p in Aldi and take 5 min in the airfryer 😂😂

tell him he’s on the dishes and make sure to use every pot and utensil you come across 👌🏼

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I'm still on the fence about having a kid but the more I hear, the more I'm okay with just being me, myself and I. Especially around Christmas and its inbuilt stresses 😬

Reactions: 4
My Grandma always said if you wash/clean on New Years Day or Good Friday you wash a life away 😬 I'll never forget the time I said it in passing in work and a few months later discovered a lovely guy with OCD always did his laundry like clockwork on a Friday and had been all in a stress over whether to break his routine or risk killing someone by putting a wash on 😂
Must be some religious thing because my Mum always said to never change the bedding on a Friday or you get bad dreams.

Stupid me never changes the sheets on a Friday ... just incase 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.