Christmas 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Liberty advent calendar is being teased on my Instagram 🎄
I have debated the Liberty calendar for the last few years and always say “next year”

Had some really crappy personal news this month which has made me even more determined to make Christmas great this year, is this the year I take the plunge?! It would look great on my sideboard 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I have debated the Liberty calendar for the last few years and always say “next year”

Had some really crappy personal news this month which has made me even more determined to make Christmas great this year, is this the year I take the plunge?! It would look great on my sideboard 😂
Do it!

Reactions: 1
Yes, the in-laws go overboard with presents, probably to make up for being tit Grandparents. We've not managed to stop them over buying presents yet.
I always struggle with what to buy my parents each year. Any tips? I love meaningful gifts but I always come up short with mum and dad. My dad is so hard to buy for!
Framed map of where they met? Etsy have some lovely ones.

Reactions: 2
My christmas planner arrived today, I ended up going with the joeji planner and it was free delivery via their website.

Has anyone dealt with overzealous grandparents? How do you get them to tone down the gifts?
Do you just have 1 and are they the only grandchild? I find the over gifting calms down eventually, especially when more and more grandkids get added to the mix.
Can you ask for season tickets to places? I always used to ask for season tickets to the local zoo or farm so we'd have year long fun when mine were younger.
Why do they always find the loudest, biggest, most garish toys 😂 where are they supposed to go?!

Reactions: 5
Courtney Adamo better get her son to fire up his sewing machine & make some of these, she would charge a fortune for them.
Gotta make those insta kids work. $60-80 dollars for a pillowcase.
---

Just do it!!!!

I always struggle with what to buy my parents each year. Any tips? I love meaningful gifts but I always come up short with mum and dad. My dad is so hard to buy for!
my dad's the same! got him a few tracklements chutneys etc after they were recommended here, local coffee beans, popcorn for his stocking, and a nice jumper from the paul james sale so far. he had one last xmas and has already got a lot of wear from it. maybe some skincare or beard care bits? also bought him a travel documents holder this fathers day from not on the high street (passport, cards, receipts etc) for when he's away with work and he said it's one of the most useful things he's been given! it's a bit more special than a standard wallet if you know he'll get use from it

Reactions: 6
Do you just have 1 and are they the only grandchild? I find the over gifting calms down eventually, especially when more and more grandkids get added to the mix.
Can you ask for season tickets to places? I always used to ask for season tickets to the local zoo or farm so we'd have year long fun when mine were younger.
Why do they always find the loudest, biggest, most garish toys 😂 where are they supposed to go?!
Yup, only grandchild on both sides, so their entire grandparent energy is focused on the tiny poor soul 🤦🏻‍♀️ I keep reminding myself that it’s not a bad thing to have so many people love your child, but it’s hard to not get annoyed when they act like the parents, all of the big blockbuster iconic moments of parenting we get pushed aside and they take the limelight, last year they did the bicycle under the Christmas tree bit, this year they wanted to gift a trip to Disneyland…. Just them, no parents allowed. They don’t usually reveal what the big item will be in advance, the only reason we know this year is because they started nagging us to get a passport sorted! If we suggest an alternative or cash/experience vouchers it gets shot down, we tried making a wish list and that got ignored too, and the one time I insisted on a firm boundary there was hysterics….. so, I’m going to make like a georgie and just drink my way through the season 🙃

• Heart
  • Haha
Starting a new job soon, this will be my first full time job and the first time I won’t be relying on student loans! Can’t wait to go (a little!) mad🥹 My parents don’t celebrate Christmas and the in laws are moving away so it’ll be just myself and my partner, more presents for us! 🎁

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Think I've bought the last presents I'm getting my stepdaughter for under tree. Will get stocking stuff chocolate etc nearer time. And in the run up to Christmas we will have a girly day when she can pick out some earrings she wants.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
How was your Christmas in August @coconochanel ? 🎄
Was just coming on to give my update 😊 . TBH I've really enjoyed it, I had a roast dinner (chicken not turkey) then watched some Christmas films (Love Actually and Elf)while enjoying some Quality St's, I've just had my cheese board and now I'm watching James Bond ( I mean it's not Christmas without a JB film is it) the only things missing are annoying relatives and opening some gifts :ROFLMAO:.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
On posh advent calendars: I wish diptyque did a smaller version of theirs as >20 candles is just obscene, even if it was like 1 full sized candle a week rather than all the minis? Have found a Japanese pen calendar which looks brill so will probs get that instead!

About to start my annual research spiral into stockings, I’ve never liked anything enough to pull the trigger but need to as this year’s the first my LO is old enough to truly get it.

Does anyone use those cloth advent cals? I’d like something my LO can have forever, a quick google search and they seem to be dominated by the sad beige baby aesthetic! I want something retro 80s Christmas kitsch!
We had them growing up - ours were from Germany as we lived there for a while when I was a baby. If I'm honest they're a right pain in the arse for little ones especially now everything is so expensive! I've done my OH one the last couple of years (made him a wooden one from Hobbycraft) and trying to find 24 little things that aren't shite and don't cost over £2 each is a nightmare.
---
I got a hideously overpriced metal advent calendar part of the lm from America shipped over so I fill that with a tin of quality street normally. I’ll get my little one the playmobil one this year. I am known for going totally overboard but can’t help it! Just booked Disney on ice they only had Christmas Eve left for good seats but suppose it won’t be a late night as starts at 2.30pm (2 hour drive home) Santa grotto at local zoo, light walk at local national trust house just the Audley end Christmas railway to book. How does everyone do ‘father Christmas gifts) I’ve said stockings are from him snd presents from me, stockings are new toothbrush, little bits and bobs etc. we are starting the elf this year but will just be moving her about the house hide and seek style I think. What does everyone do about Christmas Eve boxes? We have a family one with new pjs, a board game or movie and snacks then little one has one with Santa key, bath toy, Christmas Eve book and few little bits. I’m going to wrap up 24 Christmas books too for a book advent (same ones every year just rewrap them and read as bedtime books) what traditions do people have? Can you tell I’m getting excited already 🤣. Daughters presents are done as is niece. But still others to buy for because I have to budget I buy gift cards smyths for example so I know I have the money there for my nephew who changes his mind so I need to buy nearer the time. My dad and brother are rude enough to have December birthdays as well as Christmas and are nightmares to buy from so dreading that!
It's our first year with a LO so I'm determined not to start too many traditions, he'll only be 9 months anyway at Christmas so not too aware of what's going on. But one I really want to do is to read The Night Before Christmas to him before he goes to sleep on Christmas Eve.

I was going to get Christmas baubles with his hand prints on done but they're £50 for 3 in the local pottery place :eek:

• Wow
  • Heart
We had them growing up - ours were from Germany as we lived there for a while when I was a baby. If I'm honest they're a right pain in the arse for little ones especially now everything is so expensive! I've done my OH one the last couple of years (made him a wooden one from Hobbycraft) and trying to find 24 little things that aren't shite and don't cost over £2 each is a nightmare.
---

It's our first year with a LO so I'm determined not to start too many traditions, he'll only be 9 months anyway at Christmas so not too aware of what's going on. But one I really want to do is to read The Night Before Christmas to him before he goes to sleep on Christmas Eve.

I was going to get Christmas baubles with his hand prints on done but they're £50 for 3 in the local pottery place :eek:
You can still do the hand prints on plain paper. Take a photo of the hand prints and then go to a photo -> bauble shop.

Not the same but £11.99

Reactions: 1
I've done my OH one the last couple of years (made him a wooden one from Hobbycraft) and trying to find 24 little things that aren't shite and don't cost over £2 each is a nightmare.
Thankfully this is where her age benefits me, I’m thinking more a bag of Percy pig choccy coins intermixed with “Christmas vouchers” for things like trampolining or swimming, stuff we’d do anyway but just made a bit more special for Christmas. I’m not a fan of tat so definitely not a consumption based thing.

• Heart
Thankfully this is where her age benefits me, I’m thinking more a bag of Percy pig choccy coins intermixed with “Christmas vouchers” for things like trampolining or swimming, stuff we’d do anyway but just made a bit more special for Christmas. I’m not a fan of tat so definitely not a consumption based thing.
Choccy coins and vouchers sounds ace!
When I was a kid I remember having pictures inside my advent calendar, and tying those cheap cadburys chocolates to the tree- those simple things were so magical!
All the extra stuff these days like luxury advent calendars for £300 and Christmas Eve boxes seem so ‘extra’- but I have to admit that if I received either I’d be chuffed 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.