Christmas 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just ordered the kids little book advent calendars off Amazon, Peppa pig 🙃 for my daughter and Disney for my son. He had one last year and loved it, completely forgot about his chocolate one for about 9 days 🤣
I’ve just had a look and there’s some lovely ones for 8 month olds (ish) with books, think I’ll get one. Tempted to get a Bluey one but that’s more for me than her 😂

Reactions: 3
Went into M&S today and they have a small collection of Christmas decorations out already! The best was a disco ball Christmas tree topper, other stuff hit and miss a bit older rather than the fun kitsch stuff they sometimes do? They had giant baubles which my toddler loved but I’m not sure how they’d look on a tree predominantly covered in normal baubles!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Went into M&S today and they have a small collection of Christmas decorations out already! The best was a disco ball Christmas tree topper, other stuff hit and miss a bit older rather than the fun kitsch stuff they sometimes do? They had giant baubles which my toddler loved but I’m not sure how they’d look on a tree predominantly covered in normal baubles!
I read they usually start around 90 days before Christmas so people can buy slowly.

Reactions: 1
The John Lewis Christmas shop is up and running!

I always love looking at the themes (even if they are broadly similar each year). My favourite one this year is Royal Fairytale - blue and gold and red, with dragons! I nearly put a crowned goose ornament in my online basket before realising it cost £22...

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I was in Tesco yesterday and they had selection boxes and tubs of Celebrations, Roses etc.
I know that doesn’t sound like much but Ireland is always behind the UK in terms of putting out the Christmas stuff so this is big for me.
It’s starting!!! ❤🎄

Reactions: 5
Those of you with children - What traditions do you have with your little ones? It's my daughters first 'proper' Christmas this year and I'd love to start some traditions as my family didn't really have any growing up so not sure where to start... (I've already booked a Santa visit at the zoo 😁) x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Those of you with children - What traditions do you have with your little ones? It's my daughters first 'proper' Christmas this year and I'd love to start some traditions as my family didn't really have any growing up so not sure where to start... (I've already booked a Santa visit at the zoo 😁) x
I don't have children but St Nicholas Day?

Reactions: 1
-Santas grotto at a Garden centre in the days prior
-Christmas Eve in pjs watching movies, making hot chocolates, playing with lego and play doh, maybe a trip to the park if they need to blow off steam
-turn the clocks forward an hour in the afternoon without the kids noticing as bedtime will be constant delays
-set out a mince pie, a carrot and a glass of milk for Santa the night before
-sprinkle “reindeer food” (bird seed and edible glitter) outside on the front lawn
-whilst I’m reading a Christmas story at bedtime, dad sneaks outside to jingle some hand bells softly and the kids get excited that Santa is on his way
-stockings appear at the foot of the bed for the morning, filled with a terrys chocolate orange, some fancy pens for school, and a few stocking filler small gifts (kids open this whilst parents get an extra half hour in bed!)
-dad has to go downstairs first to check if Santa has been whilst the rest wait upstairs
-carnage ensues, gifts are opened with mum looking pleased and dad looking just as surprised as the kids, followed by bacon sandwiches and chocolate for breakfast, Buck’s Fizz for the adults

We don’t have a Christmas Eve box or new pyjamas tradition as so many do, I do try to make sure we have some pjs in a festive colour or tartan for that month but no pressure if kids want a onesie instead, we just have a very chilled, low demand day as a family with nowhere else we need to be.

A tradition my parents had which was quite nice was to take us all out for a Christmas Eve dinner at a pub with a kids soft play. It means they didn’t have to prep or wash up and we were full and knackered when we got home. I don’t do this as my child is sen and struggles with the overwhelm but I’ve often thought it’s a great idea for others to try!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
-A visit to Father Christmas, I try to get Christmas Eve if I can.
-The panto
-A Christmas eve buffet at my parents.
-Watch a christmas film every weekend in December.
-We put up their Christmas tree's and decorated their bedrooms.
-A trip into Chester to do some Christmas shopping.
-A Christmas eve box with matching Christmas pyjamas, a bath bomb, book, hot chocolate and marshmallows cone and a cone of popcorn and then we watch a film.
-A Christmas day tradition is that we always make sure we watch the Julia Donaldson adaption in the bbc.
I need to add some more, we mainly do inexpensive things, but they're the little things that we do every year.

• Heart
The John Lewis Christmas shop is up and running!

I always love looking at the themes (even if they are broadly similar each year). My favourite one this year is Royal Fairytale - blue and gold and red, with dragons! I nearly put a crowned goose ornament in my online basket before realising it cost £22...
The prices of their baubles are ridiculous! They’ve gone up so much in last few years.

Don’t think much of their wrapping paper this year, unless they haven’t released it all yet.

-Christmas Eve in pjs watching movies, making hot chocolates, playing with lego and play doh, maybe a trip to the park if they need to blow off steam
-turn the clocks forward an hour in the afternoon without the kids noticing as bedtime will be constant delays
-sprinkle “reindeer food” (bird seed and edible glitter) outside on the front lawn
-whilst I’m reading a Christmas story at bedtime, dad sneaks outside to jingle some hand bells softly and the kids get excited that Santa is on his way
-stockings appear at the foot of the bed for the morning, filled with a terrys chocolate orange, some fancy pens for school, and a few stocking filler small gifts (kids open this whilst parents get an extra half hour in bed!)
-dad has to go downstairs first to check if Santa has been whilst the rest wait upstairs
-carnage ensues, gifts are opened with mum looking pleased and dad looking just as surprised as the kids, followed by bacon sandwiches and chocolate for breakfast, Buck’s Fizz for the adults

We don’t have a Christmas Eve box or new pyjamas tradition as so many do, I do try to make sure we have some pjs in a festive colour or tartan for that month but no pressure if kids want a onesie instead, we just have a very chilled, low demand day as a family with nowhere else we need to be.

A tradition my parents had which was quite nice was to take us all out for a Christmas Eve dinner at a pub with a kids soft play. It means they didn’t have to prep or wash up and we were full and knackered when we got home. I don’t do this as my child is sen and struggles with the overwhelm but I’ve often thought it’s a great idea for others to try!
Oh man, that sounds perfect. <3

Reactions: 2
Has anyone been on a Polar Express train ride? There is one near us and I'm dying to take the kids but hubby is reluctant as it will be over £200.

• Wow
Reactions: 3

I love all of these, thank you so much! I felt quite emotional at the jingle bells suggestion - what a magical thing to do!

Reactions: 4
Has anyone been on a Polar Express train ride? There is one near us and I'm dying to take the kids but hubby is reluctant as it will be over £200.
No, but I we have done a steam train Father Christmas in Bury and it was awful. I think we had a bad Father Christmas he was sneezing everywhere and was really grumpy and practically threw the toy at my daughter. The band and elves were great and it was lovely other than that. I'm reluctant to book it again, but my sin would love it. I'm sure a polar express train would be better.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
My youngest son has only just turned 5 so we don't have many traditions. The oldest does his own thing now 😭 One tradition I've started is visiting the Luminations. They do various spots around the UK. We either go before Xmas or on NYE. He won't sit still through a film or a pantomime, so this is a good alternative, as he can follow a trail, and it lasts quite a while. Last year I got him a Christmas craft kit from The Works. He loved it and played with it for hours in the run up. I help him write a "dear santa" list that we take to the post box. We go to a grotto too. I refuse to do anything fancy though. I priced a couple of experiences and they were coming in at over £200! And they always sell out quickly. It's crazy. You don't seem to get much for the money either. I'll probably get him a fancy calendar this year, rather than an Xmas eve box. Because he just wasn't interested in it at all.

Always the Christmas movies and tipples on the run up. I try and lay off the snacks until the day but the Colin is normally demolished in good time.

I am a bit of a Christmas nut. I put loads of lights up outside, light up figures - sleigh, reindeer, santa, Xmas tree, penguins etc. inflatables in the back garden, Xmas bedding on every bed, Xmas cushions on sofas, colour coordinated throws..lots of Xmas themed statues and lights in the house etc. My son has a tacky blue tree he's allowed to decorate himself. This all goes up the weekend closest to the 1st of December. We all have Christmas jumpers/t-shirts and pjs to wear too. I love lighting the scented candles

Xmas eve is blasting the Christmas songs, ordering a takeaway curry and gin for the adults while we tackle the madness of prepping to host Xmas lunch for 8 people, little one has an Xmas themed bath bomb, Xmas pjs and chocolate galore. We put out a mince pie, tot of brandy and a carrot on a themed wooden board. We read Christmas stories, traditional nativity as well as commercial ones 🎄🎁

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.