Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SmillieKylie

VIP Member
I loved Brit Pop, so many happy memories, peaked as it was dying when I saw Pulp on 3rd December 1998( Checked on a gig site, I’ve not that good a recollection 😁) ….This is Hardcore Tour, Brighton Centre….I love a pre-Christmas gig and this was epic, mainly because there were two Jarvis Cocker’s on stage at the same time 😁 Little 21yo me had popped an E and I was bamboozled by it, turns out Jarvis hired a ‘Stars in Your Eyes’ Jarvis performer to open with him on either side in the stage, watch that on E and I can tell you it troubles your mind, they were identical 🤦🏽‍♀️😁 Anyone else go to see that tour, the band were falling apart, Jarvis was burnt out, but I remember it being such a wonderful night. Good Times.

Another favourite memory is watching the 1996 Euro England/Scotland match, and I have no interest in kicky-ball, but the atmosphere that hot sunny day in Brighton was amazing. Remember Brit-Pop tunes played all day and a guy accidentally threw a pint over my white T-Shirt when England scored, and I didn’t care, plus a 19yo girl in a wet t-shirt becomes a popular girl, drinks were bought for me that day 😁…..Brit Pop was a fabulous era, they were happy optimistic days, it was so much fun, best of times for that young me 🥳😁

• Heart
Reactions: 29

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
I really fancied Justine back in the day! She was gorgeous.

Found this interview from her from March 2000, which was an interesting period of time in terms of Britpop (it was basically over).

Including this quote about Damon.

IMG_4803.jpeg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 29

Peonyrose

VIP Member
I really liked that women could be super dressed down in that era and that it was totally accepted. I think the beauty standards were a lot more variable too. There could have been more racial diversity in the media but in everyday life it was so creative and fun.
Yeah, and make up was non-existent compared to today. Pan stick and heather shimmer lipstick, out the door. It was more about the hairstyle. Mine was short, very short. Dolores O Riardon short. But I was also 17/18/19 and beautiful because I was young (even if I didn’t know it at the time). Aw man, simpler times. There also didn’t seem to be a fixation on weight back then, probably because everyone was quite slim because there wasn’t as much processed crap around and you walked everywhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

Cáca_Milis

VIP Member
Starting this thread for us to tattle about all things and those from the magnificent Brit Pop era!

• Heart
Reactions: 23

Bastion

I was one of the 250,000 that saw Oasis at Knebworth in 1996. They were a bit Meh. The Prodigy absolutely stole the show..... To be fair I was more of a Blur fan so that might have coloured my judgement about Oasis. They just seemed so boring in comparison with the amazing stage presence of The Prodigy.

Reactions: 22

Copacapybara

VIP Member
I actually had two pairs of Adidas Campus-black and navy plus the Doc Martens of course. One day I’d be Blur in my tight Adidas t-shirt and flared jeans (bottom hems cut off-naturally), the next Oasis in my army parka and DM’s🤣I had no loyalty just kept listening to whatever music I liked, and of course, whichever boy I fancied.
I really liked that women could be super dressed down in that era and that it was totally accepted. I think the beauty standards were a lot more variable too. There could have been more racial diversity in the media but in everyday life it was so creative and fun.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
When you think about it, it’s really distasteful that Popbitch have presented a story about statutory r*pe as if it‘s just another of their “nudge nudge, wink wink” stories.

It goes without saying that if true, the guy is the real sicko here, but it’s still really grim from Popbitch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21

Boogs

VIP Member
All of you guys sound so much cooler than I was. I used to get £100 clothing grant once a year from social services so it was just a case of going to the cheapest shop to get as much as I could 😂 I did make good use of boyfriends huge checked shirts though.

When I was 16 I saved my wages from waitressing for ages so I could buy a pair of Doc Martens ❤ They were a thing of beauty.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

oldjamfan

VIP Member
she's right. surprised blur have gotten away with this nicer image than oasis (i mean im not surprised, the northerner aspect certainly played role)
I've only met one member of Blur, the drummer Dave Rowntree. He spoke at a conference for me on the subject of social housing a few years ago. I can't speak highly enough about the fella.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

shellie

VIP Member
I am not ashamed to say that I copied Louise Weners haircut back then 😎
I wanted to dye my hair red like Miki from Lush but my mum wouldn't let me. My nana ended up doing it for me, after reminding my mum she was a hypocrite, as she had done the same back in the 70s when she dyed her hair the same orange as David when he was doing Ziggy.

Speaking of Lush, I loved Single Girl and still listen to it now. My niece is 13 and I have got her into a lot of the stuff I used to listen to. Her favourite at the minute is Inbetweener by Sleeper which pisses off her mum as she has always hated Brit Pop/Indie stuff and preferred pop/dance back then and still does now.

• Heart

Cáca_Milis

VIP Member
I was in absolute LOVE with the whole 80s/90s shoegaze era that preceded Brit Pop. Ride, Lush, My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins and The Jesus and Mary Chain to name a few. They just don't make music like they used to 😭

• Heart

Clytemnestra

Chatty Member
Everyone singing along and hardly anyone with a phone in their hand.
Argh the curse of the phones. I was plagued by some twat holding his phone in my eyeline at a gig recently so I waited till the last verse of the song and absolutely bellowed it out of tune (channelling the spirit of those women at The Bodguard in Manchester) at him. He won't be putting that on YouTube.

• Haha
Reactions: 18

Warpaint

VIP Member
All two lines before his character gets shot!
Trying to think of more films you could call Britpop movies. I think the resurgence of the cheeky Cockney gangster film was related to the whole Cool Britannia thing.
Trainspotting was probably as Britpop as it gets.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

kiiwiih

VIP Member
I am so excited to have found this thread! I've been binge-reading the Primrose Hill Set thread and couldn't believe my luck when I saw someone had started this thread! I'm a bit too young to remember the Britpop era (I was born in 1989 and in Iceland no less so wouldn't even have gotten to experience any of it first-hand anyway), but my brother used to work at Kaffibarinn back when Damon used to "hang there" and my claim to fame is that I once met him there (I was like 8, and yes it's also a coffeehouse not just a bar :LOL:), and I've basically been obsessed with him since then. Sad I know 😭 He was incredibly nice to me, and I kinda just took that and ran with it for the past 25 years :ROFLMAO:

Sad to hear the rumours about his relapse and the demise of his relationship with Suzy.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17

Nadia Vulvokov

Chatty Member
Its Blur night on BBC 2 tonight, including a set from Glasto 2009 🙌
Been playing them non stop since I saw them at Wembley. This middle aged woman's inner 16 year old is absolutely buzzing about their comeback and Wembley was incredible, and the new album is great, but Modern Life will always be my favourite. Like someone said upthread, my teenage daughter is jealous I was a 90s kid.
Graham was very funny on the Off Menu podcast this week too.

Last edited:

CarmenGhia

VIP Member
There was Select magazine as well, which was glossier than NME and Melody Maker and took itself less seriously than Q. And Vox, which I think was a glossy spinoff of NME for a while.

Music shows on terrestrial TV were also much better. TFI Friday seems really dated now, but you could usually count on a good band being on. The White Room with Mark Radcliffe had a wider range of bands and it was still great, if sometimes a bit weird. I remember Iggy Pop performing on there in see-through PVC trousers, which wasn't pretty.

ITV had The Beat with Gary Crowley, which you had to tape because it was on in the early hours of the morning.